Since we're all having problems with our computers...

Thread: Since we're all having problems with our computers...

DauntlessDriver546

Since we're all having problems with our computers...

... I'll add to the pile...

But it's not the computer that's killing me... it's the game.

My Mission Builder will not start up anymore! I can't get it to fully load! It says some files are missing or corrupted, and I can't IMAGINE what it is that's bothering it!

So, I go through my modelnames.txt files, .dat files, airfield files, EVERYTHING files, and I removed EVERYTHING that I KNEW that I had uninstalled throughout the last frew months. I also tried to see if any of my new airfields might be conflicting with anything... for my new airfields from Maskrider and Pen32Win, I didn't bother putting the airfield name thingys whatever you call them in the airfields.dat file yet, but I DID delete the thingys of the airfields that I KNOW are not there anymore.

Went to my QC Editor, noticed there were some planes on the list that I didn't have anymore... I removed them...

Ever since a few months ago, when I fire up Free Flight or QC, I get this message: "Files missing or corrupted, couldn't generate [I can't remember what they're named-- source files?]" followed by this message "Generation of Quick Combat failed!" After clicking through those... and then hitting the "Fly Now!" button a third time, everything works fine for the rest of the time I'm flying.

And no... after ALL that work... Mission Builder still doesn't work at all. PLEASE help me! If I can't get this to work again... my video "Defenders of Down Under" will never be completed... and that would be a crying shame...

DD546-- Thanks in advance, guys!

Oh Lord....sorry buddy, but given the extent of all the mods and removals that you've described above (and they are MANY), there's absolutely no way anyone here can absolutely verify the state of your install at this point in order to offer a viable solution for your MB. You've just got too much going on. It would appear, from my perspective as a reader, that your install is completely screwed up for MB usage at this point and in need of a complete reinstall to correct the many errors you may have made.

You've already attempted to make many of the "corrections" we might suggest. We all could spend the next two months guessing and typing, "do this and do that", but who can know the true extent of your self-inflicted damage. Just rename the main folder as "Combat Flight Simulator 2.0" and retain it as your main gaming install. Then proceed with a clean reinstallation. Be careful and very selective in putting addons into it. This will be your "movie-making" install and should be kept free of lots of bloat and mods. Just basic scenery and weapons and you can immediately copy over the gauges, effects, sound and texture folders. Then you only want to bring over a/c, vehicles and ships needed for movie works in progress. Be slow, calculating and patient with adding new things to this install to preserve its MB viability.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

DauntlessDriver546
    Thanks bearcat! I will do so right away. I knew I shouldn't have bludgeoned it all up, but if that's what it's gonna take, then that's what it's gonna take... here goes nothin' *holds breath"

SOH-CM-2013
    Madison County, Iowa (3rd Corn Patch On The Left)

Angry What A World....

DD, I feel your Pain. My installs are a mess as well.

Obio
    , I don't know what to tell you... did you catch that sale on 500Gb Western Digital drives at Best Buy this weekend....?

I am presently consoling myself over the complete loss of my home-brewed Pearl Harbor compilation by watching the snow fall with "Tora Tora Tora" on in the background....

ARGH... :isadizzy:

SC

"...And, When I died, They washed me out of the turret with a hose..."

DauntlessDriver546
    Well, there is a bright side...

Everything we've lost can be restored, and if bearcat's technique works... which it SHOULD, then I'll have Defenders of Down Under up on the 'Tube by the time my birthday rolls around in two weeks! :ernae: :friday:

check

your ships folder
    RM

Quote Originally Posted by rmalone View Post
    your ships folder
    RM
    To manage my mess I use a system of libraries OUTSIDE the installs for weapons, sceneries, panels and sounds.

Cheers

Pepe

DauntlessDriver546
    Hey rmalone!

What am I looking for in my ships folder?

bearcat, THANK YOU!!!! IT WORKS FINE AFTER RE-INSTALLING IT. Now I have a 2.0 version, and a regular version which is my movies only version, and the mission builder works now... THANK YOU VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY MUCH!!!!!:faint:

:ernae:

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Chesaning-The middle of the Mitten. Go Blue.
    Make a copy of the MODULES folder in your new install[which contains all the game drivers].Put this copy somewhere else outside the game as a backup[I actually have the entire stock game as a backup on a CD].Next time this happens to you jerk the MODULES folder out of your cfs2 game and put this copy in. It did wonders for me awhile back.You never know. Its worth a shot.By the way RMALONE is right . Bad ships or too many ships or something about addon ships can screw up the whole game for some reason.

BLONDI:cost1:

2 suggestion, both time consuming. I started over on my PTO install. Using note pad I created a log in my main CFS2 directory. EVERYTHING I change goes into this log. Yeh, I Know, this a gigantic pain in the ass. (Can I say that?) If I run into a problem I start at the last entry and remove everything in order unil the problem disappeares. It's already worked once. Second. Start with a fresh install. Keep adding things until your problem appeares. The second one will either show you the problem or you will end up with an install that has everything in it AND WORKS. GOOD lUCK:isadizzy: