Alabeo`s Staggerwing is out! - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Alabeo`s Staggerwing is out!

Quote Originally Posted by pilottj View Post
    All of the Carenado/Alabeos eventually end up with Flight1, and I think Aerosoft too.

Confirmed Baz's observation, one of the propblades facing wrong direction....no wonder it had prop sound issues in flight LOL
    I know that PC Aviator carries Alabeo and Carenado as well.

No longer active
    ATTENTION. Just noticed another bug. The tailwheel is supposed to be free castoring.
    Hence the steering angle in the cfg file should be 180deg. A 'classic' steerable angle would be around 33deg. But on the Alabeo version this angle is set to 90deg which makes taxiing (and maintaining heading during the initial take off run) very difficult.

point.0=1, -23.4, 0.0, 0.2, 2000, 0, 0.32, 90, 0.1, 1.44, 0.5, 7, 10, 0.0, 120, 120

Well having read everyone's comments, I've decided to go for it and as we speak the zip file is downloading. Really looking forward to this, as have some time in David Gilmour's G-BRVE and would like to see if my previous flights can be replicated. Was always a lovely aeroplane to fly in, but some reason I'll always remember that it used to bounce on grass due to the coiled undercarriage. The pilot always knew when we were about to touch down as I would move my legs to one side, as in readiness for the undulating arrival!!!

Best wishes and smooth landings,

Martin

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Performance documents now available here: http://www.alabeo.com/index.php?acci...duct&correl=93

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Dain Arns View Post
    I know that PC Aviator carries Alabeo and Carenado as well.
    So does Just Flight.
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    P3D v3.4
    P3D v4.5
    FSX-SE
    X-Plane 11

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    Performance documents now available here: http://www.alabeo.com/index.php?acci...duct&correl=93

Thanks! Also, can someone check my reading? Looking at the charts, I should be able to fly max cont power with 34" MP @ 2200rpms at 4500 ft right? Obviously they didnt model wear and tear but I just want to make sure I'm reading them right. Also confirm 4000 ft is the altitude for best forward speed?

Quote Originally Posted by bstolle View Post
    ATTENTION. Just noticed another bug. The tailwheel is supposed to be free castoring.
    Hence the steering angle in the cfg file should be 180deg. A 'classic' steerable angle would be around 33deg. But on the Alabeo version this angle is set to 90deg which makes taxiing (and maintaining heading during the initial take off run) very difficult.

point.0=1, -23.4, 0.0, 0.2, 2000, 0, 0.32, 90, 0.1, 1.44, 0.5, 7, 10, 0.0, 120, 120

Excellent thanks!
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Thanks for the documents, that helps a lot. Now if the mag switch, prop sounds/blade, and carb temp gauge can be fixed, the Bogey can become a Par I think.

Still would like some documentation on the fuel tank usage. Just guessing, assuming the upper tanks are farther aft of the lower tanks, burning upper tanks first would make sense. Lower forward CG would seem to make it more stable during the flight.

Cheers
    TJ
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If anyone wants it, I removed the annoying yoke shadow from the vc panel...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...e%20shadow.zip

Did you have the battery switched ON before changing to the D17 ?
    If that doesn't help try changing the electrics from 0 to 1 in the cfg file.
    [electrical]
    max_battery_voltage = 24
    generator_alternator_voltage = 28
    max_generator_alternator_amps = 60
    electric_always_available = 0
    Actually I did lose the ability to retract flaps and gear like the other poster who had the issue. Before I was flying stock C172... everything was on.

Odd.
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Chapel Hill, NC and the Texas Hill Country
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbatc View Post
    Actually I did lose the ability to retract flaps and gear like the other poster who had the issue. Before I was flying stock C172... everything was on.

Odd.
    Ryan.....I'm one of the other guys having the same problem ( I'm flying P3D ). Like you, I was flying stock (208). Today I switched to the stock 172, played with the battery switch. Managed to make it thru 4 touch and gos but had to belly it in on the 5th cause nothing was working. I'm not one to mess with cfg files so looks like I'm stuck with 3 take-offs and landings before restarting......
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....

It's about learning

to dance in the rain.

Did you have the battery switched ON before changing to the D17 ?
    If that doesn't help try changing the electrics from 0 to 1 in the cfg file.
    [electrical]
    max_battery_voltage = 24
    generator_alternator_voltage = 28
    max_generator_alternator_amps = 60
    electric_always_available = 0
    OK, yes battery was on. Changed the 0 to 1 in electrical. Sadly it makes no difference.
    Best regards,
    Jim T.
    USAF ret. ECM (Old Crow)

Indeed a beautifull piece of work....going to buy, going to wait a little till I read about mentioned small bugs are corrected...sure they will be in a near future...
    Regards

I also had problems with the gear and flaps. I also had a problem with the engine not even turning over to restart it after I shut it down.
    I seem to have cured all the problems by turning off the battery switch and then turning it back on.

Before turning the battery switch off, I noticed that the ampmeter showed no charge, after turning the switch off and then back on, the ampmeter shows a full charge.
    I assume that the gear and flaps are electric, so without the battery showing a charge, they didn't work.
    I guess that when you go to Free Flight, the engine is running and the battery switch says "ON", but it isn't really on until the ampmeter shows a charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim-HH View Post
    That's how it looks from the pilot's seat

If you like you can get rid of those strenghtener tubes by clicking the air outlet just above the left window sill.

The Staggerwing is without question a beautiful model!
    Absolutely ! Somehow i still prefer the Waco. Particularly the ground handling seems quite quirky compared to the Waco... They do a great job at cockpit/panel/instruments lighting. Makes for easy instruments reading during the day when flying into the sun.

What's up next? Maybe a DC-3 or a Stearman?
    It may just be that Alabeo will find a DC-3 a step too far.... ( still a chance Manfred will team up with Hansi to produce a VC worthy of his superb DC-3 external model... ) A full blown Alabeo Stearman would be wonderful !

How are you doing, Tim, hope everything's well !

Tschüss!,
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyjo View Post
    I also had problems with the gear and flaps. I also had a problem with the engine not even turning over to restart it after I shut it down.
    I seem to have cured all the problems by turning off the battery switch and then turning it back on.

Before turning the battery switch off, I noticed that the ampmeter showed no charge, after turning the switch off and then back on, the ampmeter shows a full charge.
    I assume that the gear and flaps are electric, so without the battery showing a charge, they didn't work.
    I guess that when you go to Free Flight, the engine is running and the battery switch says "ON", but it isn't really on until the ampmeter shows a charge.
    Interesting, I never looked to see what the charging circuit was doing. However, I changed my default to cold and dark start. When I switched on the R mag the engine started!!! I continued anyway and flew 8 touch n go with no issues. I have no issues in P3D but that was also a cold n dark start which got me to try the same in FSX.

I guess the aircraft is a bit buggy here and there, but, OH BOY it sure is nice to look at and to fly. At 80 to 85 mph and 25 inches I just love the sweet little touch down feel and the turn onto final is so immersive! The engine sounds on my sub-woofer, just super fine!

Did the mod on tailwheel castor changing it to 33deg as per bstolle and it taxi's as sweet as it looks. Don't need the tailwheel lock on takeoff now!

Bernt Stolle...you are the man!!!
    Best regards,
    Jim T.
    USAF ret. ECM (Old Crow)

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Shockwave lights.

Alabeo Staggerwing

Add the following into the appropriate sections.

aircraft.cfg
    [lights]
    light.1 = 5, -5.8, -10.0, -1.0, fx_Shockwave_landing_light // Shockwave light
    light.2 = 5, -5.8, 10.0, -1.0, fx_Shockwave_landing_light // Shockwave light
    light.3 = 1, -4.9, -0.1, -0.8, fx_shockwave_beaconb_nl // Shockwave light
    light.4 = 1, -13.5, 0.1, 4.3, fx_shockwave_beaconh_l // Shockwave light
    light.5 = 3, -4.9, -12.35, -0.2, fx_shockwave_navgre_nl // Shockwave light
    light.6 = 3, -5.0, 12.3, -0.2, fx_shockwave_navred_nl // Shockwave light
    light.7 = 3, -26.4, 0.1, 3.3, fx_shockwave_navwhi_nl // Shockwave light

panel.cfg
    [Vcockpit01]
    gaugeXX=shockwave_lights!SW Lights_gear, 1,1,1,1 //shockwave landing light, retractable gear

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by Firekitten View Post
    If anyone wants it, I removed the annoying yoke shadow from the vc panel...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50293775/staggerwing%20no%20yoke%20shadow.zip
    Ah do...Thanks
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Chapel Hill, NC and the Texas Hill Country
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudyjo View Post

Thanks Rudyjo !! That bit of info did the trick .........turning the Master off and then back on activated the ampmeter. I never looked at it because I thought it was working like everything else..... owe you a six-pack.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....

It's about learning

to dance in the rain.

Anyone notice the wing tip lights are are reversed?

Also, some one needs to check this-my elevator trim is backwards....Or is it just me?

Rick
    EDIT:
    The trim does work correctly but the animation is wrong-down is up and up is down
    I sent an email to Alabeo about these problems

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

I'm having troublle (?) with the trim in as much as - I cannot trim to maintain 90 mph and the trim wheel travel feels odd . Going to dive back in to see if it is backwards in my sim .

oh, by the way , it you click on the air vent - extremeL/H side on the panel just sitting on top of the woodwork "arm rest" those interioir structural tubes disappear

One other item I noticed besides the battery switch needing to be turned off, then on again, for the gear and flaps to work is that when you start in "Free Flight"....even with the engine running, the
    magnetos are on OFF.
    So far, the carb. temperature gauge has never moved.
    Even with all the little problems this plane has, it's a great bargain for $20.

The only other Alabeo plane I have is the Waco, never had any problems with it.
    It looks like they rushed the Staggerwing to production, it should have been tested some more before releasing it.

I wrote to Alabeo about the problems, they said they would look into it. I would suggest that anyone having problems write to them.
    If they get enough e-mails, they may release an update.

I did not get a long enough flight in to really check it out as some of you have, unfortunately. I did in a short flight around my home airport, KMIW, Marshalltown, Iowa. Some observations, some of which have been covered by others.

Modeling is absolutely beautiful!! Red texture package is beautiful.

Ground handling is attrociuos! Tailwheel is far to active. Will try the setting to full castoring. Should fix it. It seems to be awfull heavy, spongy, top heavy on turns tho. Undamped spring suspension, yes, most of cause. Rudder power couldn't be checked because of tailwheel hooked to it, and set to strong. cfg problem.

I want to try setting my seat just a little higher. All the pics of the pilots seating position I've seen shows higher eye point.

Can anyone adjust radio from VC??? I can't move yoke enough to see it, let alone adjust it.

My sounds were nearly drowned out by wind noise once flying speed was reached. Tried lowering it's volume in both settings, and in Accu-Feel. Way irritating.

Take-off required a lot of rudder dancing, just like my R/C model does, (which TeiscoDelRay owns now, by the way.) Once airborne, it was on rails, also like the R/C model. Handling was smooth and positive. Very enjoyable. My only landing sucked, because I was trying to adjust radio during long approach, and got out of whack when the wife suddenly needed something during final. (Should have gone around. :mix-smi

Another flight when I get time will be much better, I'm sure. Glad I bought this one. Alabeo's models are all excellent, of the one's I have. Waco YMF, GEE BEE Z, Pitts, and now the Staggerwing. Looking forward to more.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by papab View Post
    Anyone notice the wing tip lights are are reversed?

Also, some one needs to check this-my elevator trim is backwards....Or is it just me?

Rick
    LOL, I can understand me missing the reversed tip lights, but Alabeao?

No problem with elevator trim. OK here.

Members who have read this thread: 46