New version of Guam scenery on Avsim today...

Thread: New version of Guam scenery on Avsim today...

New version of Guam scenery on Avsim today...

Category: Flight Simulator X - Scenery
    New!
    Guam X v2

File Description:
    Antonio B. Won Pat International Airport
    (IATA: GUM, ICAO: PGUM), is an airport located in Tamuning and
    Barrigada, three miles east of the capital city of Haga in the United
    States territory of Guam.

Filename: guam_x_v2.zip
    License: Freeware
    Added: 18th February 2013, 14:09:28
    Downloads: 680
    Author: Morten Thomas van der Linden
    Size: 184106kb

I installed it. It's very beautiful. However, it's beautiful at only 10 FPS on my machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave22 View Post
    I installed it. It's very beautiful. However, it's beautiful at only 10 FPS on my machine.
    I haven't installed it yet, but the previous version didn't slow my machine down. Hope this one does ok.....NC

Quote Originally Posted by Dave22 View Post
    try deleting the 3 3d grass files from the scenery folder called

vol gras 6.bgl & vol grass parking.bgl & grass cargo area.bgl

i also removed the reserve trollies bgls and FPS went up a little more

Tried to use this scenery and it is gorgeous BUT unfortunately it brings my FPS to single digits very fast even with defaut aircraft. No way to use it. Tried the workaround by jeansy above and it did get a little better, but still to hard on fps going from normal 30-25 fps to 14-9fps. Itīs a shame because it really is well modeled.
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I too experienced a slide show effect albeit the removing of a few texture files that jeansy mentioned. There was on effect that was a duplicate of what was already in my effects folder
    and I should of wrote down that file as I elected to overwrite it. I wound up deleting (manually) all the Guam files including all the effect files and the one I overwrote. I hope it wasn't a critical
    _fx file but I figure I'll find out soon enough which one it was. Nice scenery 'cept for the FPS penalty.

I will try this and will also demo it to a friend here in my town in Colorado he was Base commander at Guam and i am sure he will have some good comments. thanks for another great add on.
    Beached Admiral Naval Wargame Society 1978
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
    Tester of Ships: Sea Trials and Consults

Old topic, but version 4 was released today
    guam_x_v4.zip at flightsim.com

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib....ght&fid=179859
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

I've got it and it is outstanding! Word of caution, if you have the Marianas 1945.zip scenery installed, it will conflict with the Guam v4 scenery. The way I set things up is to install both BUT click activate/deactivate one or the other which I intend to use/not use for a particular sim session.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also wanted to say a couple things about the latest version. Morten Van Der Linden did a magnificent job on this scenery, but it is hard on FPS. For my own tastes, I have removed some of the static objects, i.e. KC-135, AWACS, etc.... as they were not based at NAS Agana; plus I will look to remove some other objects. What I REALLY need to do is configure my video card settings, because I know it can produce more than it currently is.

But this IS a beautifully done piece of scenery! NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Also wanted to say a couple things about the latest version. Morten Van Der Linden did a magnificent job on this scenery, but it is hard on FPS. For my own tastes, I have removed some of the static objects, i.e. KC-135, AWACS, etc.... as they were not based at NAS Agana; plus I will look to remove some other objects. What I REALLY need to do is configure my video card settings, because I know it can produce more than it currently is.

But this IS a beautifully done piece of scenery! NC
    Chief,

You're not the only one who has a significant FPS hit from the scenery. Performance is okay but certainly not optimum which seems to indicate there is an object or few that is an FPS killer. The previous version ran at target FPS. If you weed out the offending object(s), let us know.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    Chief,

You're not the only one who has a significant FPS hit from the scenery. Performance is okay but certainly not optimum which seems to indicate there is an object or few that is an FPS killer. The previous version ran at target FPS. If you weed out the offending object(s), let us know.
    Well, I am certainly not that adept at such things. I do know there are a LOT of objects in this scenery. What I had planned to do (not sure when I'll get to it) is remove several objects from the International Guam Airport side of the airfield (across from what USED to be NAS Agana). I have a feeling the FPS "offending" objects are over there. Either way, I hope to improve the FPS. Makes it difficult to fly, eh? NC

Well, I have removed several more static objects, but my FPS are still quite low (mostly single digits). I don't know enough about the workings of scenery creation to find/remove what is causing the impact on FPS. If anyone on SOH can offer some advice, I would appreciate it. I am really only interested in the "Navy" side of Guam's airport, where NAS Agana was officially located. NC

I noticed there is a fix from the author posted at Avsim today to address FPS problem.

The "fix" involves the replacement of a light pole .bgl file, and accompanying textures. The fix does help, but I went through the files and deleted a lot of objects that were not important to me. The combination of the "fix" on Avsim, plus the deletions I made, DID improve the FPS! NC

Members who have read this thread: 94