HMS Bounty Project - Page 11
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

Thread: HMS Bounty Project

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Hi Pete,

Not a problem Sir ... hopefully she'll be out this weekend and will be available whenever folks have time for a little relaxation and something different.
    Actually Pete had me over at Classic Flyers NZ in January and it was quite a challenge for him to keep me away from the propellers for almost a whole day. I think he had to recover from that experience all the time since. LOL

Cheers,
    Maarten

SOH-CM-2023
    OK I thought I understood this, Milt what am I doing wrong?

Is there something amiss?

Sean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stillwaters.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by jackryan172 View Post
    OK I thought I understood this, Milt what am I doing wrong?

Is there something amiss?

Sean
    Sean,

Would you try again but this time show the Test Gauge window in the screen shot (shift+3) as well.

Be sure you are not in SLEW mode.

Thanks

EDIT: Do you have FSUIPC installed? What other add-ons might you have active?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

SOH-CM-2023
    Oh I feel like a tool. This is a new install of FS9 and I hadn't installed fsuipc yet. Arrggh. it works as advertised now. Thanks Milt.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by jackryan172 View Post
    Oh I feel like a tool. This is a new install of FS9 and I hadn't installed fsuipc yet. Arrggh. it works as advertised now. Thanks Milt.

Sean
    No problem Sean; You aren't the only one who has done this in testing. :-) Happy to hear it is working for you now.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

No problem Sean; You aren't the only one who has done this in testing. :-) Happy to hear it is working for you now.
    This is a minor question and in no way is it meant to take away from the beauty of this marvelous vessel, but...

Would that be the correct anchor for 1790?
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    This is a minor question and in no way is it meant to take away from the beauty of this marvelous vessel, but...

Would that be the correct anchor for 1790?
    It is a logical question to ask.

The Bounty has so many parts that needed to be included, I simply ran into parts and poly limits and the anchor was one of the last things done.

Secondly, the Bounty model is a marriage of both the original plans and the replica plans, both in parts and in measurements.

Since I did not have polys to build (and could not properly animate) the original anchor structure, I based the anchor off the replica of 1960.
    In fact, the anchor plate textures used are from the 1960 replica in its later black paint scheme after the last rebuild.

There are many parts we don't register or see. For example, there are 100 deadeyes, 258 rigging lines. over 140 clew lines most of which are hidden until needed, and 40 sails, although you see 14. I had to delete almost all the parts from the hold deck, most parts from the lower deck, and several parts from the upper deck, and deleted polys everywhere just to get the model to export to the sim. So, we have to live with the limitations and hopefully what you see, you can enjoy.

Thanks for your interest. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Animated helmsman

On the previous v2, I remember seeing an animated helmsman. I don't see him in V3. Is he with a certain livery or better yet, if he is still included, how can I get the view of
    the deck with the helmsman? I like the birds/no birds option with the switch added in V3.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    On the previous v2, I remember seeing an animated helmsman. I don't see him in V3. Is he with a certain livery or better yet, if he is still included, how can I get the view of
    the deck with the helmsman? I like the birds/no birds option with the switch added in V3.

Thanks
    The helmsman should be visible anytime the anchor is weighed.

EDIT: In FS9 there are no exterior views other than the Spot view. You can zoom in and pan around to see him pretty well.

In FSX. there is no alternate view that shows him prominently, but certainly that could be added.
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; May 1st, 2015 at 21:03.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thank you Milton. I was wondering which version it was from. She is still lovely.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    Thank you Milton. I was wondering which version it was from. She is still lovely.
    All versions have the helmsman.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fsuipc - check!

Indeed a vital item to check, when installing the Bounty package!

I took it for granted that I had FSUIPC installed in FSX - it took me ages of frustation before I discovered this simple omission.

So do take time over the simple installation requirements and steps, and be ready for hours of pleasure
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

HMS Surprise

Found this on a free download site. It's a .3ds max file but imports fine into gmax, although not possible in FS9.

It has 224,000 exterior polys, about 4 times what is allowed in FS9, but nicely done for a low poly version (for this complex project) otherwise.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Charter Member 2011
    ... about 4 times what is allowed in FS9 ...
    Milton, did you ever think about venturing into the high-poly stratosphere in FS9?
    You will recall this was pushed quite hard around here some time ago, by Lionheart ("Breaking the 64k barrier")
    Probably a bit of a pain to execute I imagine, as there hasn't been all that much take-up.

Most FS9 computers nowadays would happily run this I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Wing_Z View Post
    Milton, did you ever think about venturing into the high-poly stratosphere in FS9?
    You will recall this was pushed quite hard around here some time ago, by Lionheart ("Breaking the 64k barrier")
    Probably a bit of a pain to execute I imagine, as there hasn't been all that much take-up.

Most FS9 computers nowadays would happily run this I suspect.
    LOL No, no way would I venture there after reviewing the process. It's simply not worth it.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Tacking the Bounty

Is it possible to "tack" HMS Bounty and I've not gotten the sequence right..?
    The manual describes about being in "irons" but with enough speed she should be able to go from one tack to another.

I realize this may be impossible to model but I wanted to ask.

A description from another game.
    http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php...igger-sailing/

if when you went to "tack" or Ware ship, the yards actually turned at the right times in the right order. for instance when tacking a ship as the helm is put hard to leeward and the ship begins to turn up into the wind, the main and foresails are clewed up to allow the upper yards to swing around, and the headsail sheets are eased, spilling the wind and releiving downwind pressure on the bow. This allows her to come all the way through irons, when the ship is exactly head to weather the order is given "mainsail haul" and the main and mizzen yards are braced simultaneously onto the new tack. The ship begins to fall off the wind with the fore stack aback and when the main squares begin to fill with wind on the new tack the order "let go and haul is given" which braces the fore yards up on the new tack. As the ship starts making headway and steadies on her new tack the headsail sheets are sheeted for drive.
    Another source.
    http://www.oceannavigator.com/Januar...sail-handling/

Sedov is a four-masted barque 117.5 meters (385.5 ft) in length.

As on all sailing vessels, the tacking procedure on Sedov follows the command "Ready about" shouted from the open bridge deck. At their assigned stations, crew ease the sheets to allow the ship to pay off the wind and pick up a little speed. The command "Tack ship!" is shouted and the helm goes to weather. Sedov ponderously turns into the wind. The mizzen spanker is hauled to weather to help the rudder force the stern around, maintaining steerageway and keeping momentum going. With the sails aback, the ship's bow is pushed steadily through the eye of the wind. On deck, bracing crews haul the main course yard around to fill the sail and maintain forward motion. Jibs are sheeted in as she pays off to leeward. Yards and sheets are trimmed, and Sedov slowly gathers way on her new tack.

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk72s View Post
    Is it possible to "tack" HMS Bounty and I've not gotten the sequence right..?
    The manual describes about being in "irons" but with enough speed she should be able to go from one tack to another.

I realize this may be impossible to model but I wanted to ask.

A description from another game.
    http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php...igger-sailing/

Another source.
    http://www.oceannavigator.com/Januar...sail-handling/

Sedov is a four-masted barque 117.5 meters (385.5 ft) in length.
    No, the Bounty in the RW only averaged 5-6 knots and could not be tacked thru.

In the sim, we allow 16 knots to make it more enjoyable and to be able to get a wake (12 knots+).

Thirdly, we manage the foremast, main mast,and mizzen mast sails together but the spanker and jibs separately.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

No, the Bounty in the RW only averaged 5-6 knots and could not be tacked thru.

Thank you.
    She was not exactly a ship of the line.

Thank you.
    She was not exactly a ship of the line.
    Of course not. HMS Bounty originated as Bethia, a coal transport with a wide, relatively flat bottom, and perfectly suited for the reef-ridden South Pacific islands to which she was destined. For cannons, she did have installed four 1-pounders and 10 half-pounders on pedestals. The only battles she was to fight were the winds and seas, and the occasional reef.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

VC lighting

A stroll below decks at dusk showed the captain's cabin lamp lit but not the
    passageway light or two in the crew mess. Though the reflection on the mast and
    mess table showed illumination. Switching over to night the captains lamp was
    now out and only the mess table was illuminated.

# Sorry my mistake, the captains lamp was not lit so maybe the lamps are not meant
    to show light.

A stroll below decks at dusk showed the captain's cabin lamp lit but not the
    passageway light or two in the crew mess. Though the reflection on the mast and
    mess table showed illumination. Switching over to night the captains lamp was
    now out and only the mess table was illuminated.

# Sorry my mistake, the captains lamp was not lit so maybe the lamps are not meant
    to show light.
    There are two kinds of lights: 1) point lights as you would use for wing tip lights and the light source is obvious , and 2) Effect lights as used in the VC where you see the illumination but not the light emitter.

For the exterior/spot view the lanterns and Captain's quarters should have point lights.
    For the VC, the below deck needs VC light types to illuminate but you would also like point lights for those lanterns :-)

You may alter them as you wish.
    There are limits to the number of lights that will work simultaneously.

Be sure you have you settings to allow for the max.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Additional VC lights

Four additional VC lights using A2A Shockwave. Standard lighting.
    Bump them up to the large lights gives a modern lighting feel.

HMS Endeavour departing Cooktown

I just reinstalled the fabulous "HMS Bounty" into the latest rendition of Prepar3Dv3.4 and everything so far works as it should. I thought I would start this adventure in the Endeavour river at Cooktown and sail down the East Coast of Australia. Here are some screenshots coming out of the river and into the ocean at Cooktown.

Best Regards....Kev*

"The finest Captain I ever crossed swords and set sail with"

Beautiful shots Kevinsue. She looks right at home in P3D v3.4. Very happy this is working for you.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here