Plan G

Thread: Plan G

Plan G

Is anyone using Plan G and if so, what's your opinion of it.

I was using it in FSX. It's a good program, been consistently updated with new features and support seems to be ok. I gave up on it though because it ran extremely slow on my system and went with a payware product instead. That's not to say it won't work quite well for you, every computer setup is different. Your best bet is to download it and give it a try.:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

I use it but networked to an old attached laptop. V2 was better in so far as the maps used were Googles, but they got all proprietory over this piece of freeware and the programmer had to switch to inferior maps for V3, Well that's my take on it. :mixedsmi:
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

I have it and use it for mapping, checking terrain and occasionally for flight following.
    It IS slow except with a really good computer on a fast internet connection as it uses Internet Explorer as its base so you are pushing a lot of data thru a browser. The newer versions may be better but I haven't updated mine.

There is also G-Map which used to have a free FS9 version but now appears to be payware ( but with a limited free trial mode).
    http://fswidgets.com/shop/index.php?cPath=30
    I found it less complete than Plan-G but ran faster. The current version is far more complete ( thus the cost) but may be an alternative for those who are unable to get a copy of FSNav (still the best if not the flashiest)

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Thanks all, appreciate the input.

Charter Member 2014 HighGround22's Avatar
    Hern:

For most of my flying, I wouldn't be without Plan-G. For keeping track of my whereabouts, it's the least expensive (free) and easiest to use -- after going through the included tutorial, that is. If y'don't take to time to run the tutorial, it can be a tad confusing and you'll miss-out on most of the good features.

As previously noted there's the "older", V2.xx version that uses the most detailed (Google) maps, so for my bush-type flying, that's the one I use. For airline-type flying, the newer, V3 is just the ticket. Put another way, each version has its strong points that best enhance the type of flying you do -- low/slow, or high/fast.

I should stress that these are my views, btw; mileage may vary.

Happily, you can have both versions separately installed, and they work beautifully as independent entities. As I indicated, they're permanent fixtures in my personal Flight-Sim scenarios.

Hope all that blather clarifies things, for you a wee bit.
    -Jon
    -------------
    If you try to fail,
    and you succeed,
    which have you done?