Grrr, FS crashes after a long journey!

Thread: Grrr, FS crashes after a long journey!

Grrr, FS crashes after a long journey!

I was just 17 nm from finishing a 450nm journey to Nome PAOM from Fairbanks PAFA, in my Conifair Constellation, and was just starting to think about preparing for the approach to Nome, when all of a sudden the screen goes all black. Eh? Then I realised that FS2004 was crashing to the desktop. Oh no...ggrrrrr . I could have picked up my flat screen monitor and smashed it to pieces . No doubt most of you would have been there before and would understand with a knowing nod.

Now this Nome scenery is freeware by FRF Studios that I picked up from Flightsim or Avsim. They also made the Fairbanks scenery which I have too. It seems that when I try to go near Nome, it will crash. However if I start from there first, its ok. But coming towards it, no. Did anyone have this problem?
    Mark

There was a thread here not long ago about a small program DXT3FIXER.ZIP. On the surface this sounds like just what you need. It was at one of the big two sites.

Hi terry, thanks for your reply. Was it a dxt3 problem with that scenery?
    Mark

whoops, double post..
    Mark

I don't know but it seems likely. Running the program won't hurt a thing. It will find and correct problems, it sure found a lot on my setup I didn't know I had.

How much RAM is in your computer? I ran into the same problems with FSX, bumping the RAM up from 2 GB to 4 GB solved my black screen crashes.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I would also look for doubled AFCADs for any airports in the immediate area. This sort of thing is extremely frustrating and usually there is no one size fits all fix for them.

I am still working on a 6025 error when I have Cees Valkenburg scenery enabled in my backdated FS installation. It runs fine on the modern installation.

Cheers
    Stefan

Hi all, thanks. I do have 4GB RAM. I'll try the dxt3 approach. Also will check for double afcads. Does multiple afcads for one airport cause problems?
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mrogers View Post
    Hi all, thanks. I do have 4GB RAM. I'll try the dxt3 approach. Also will check for double afcads. Does multiple afcads for one airport cause problems?
    Yes doubles cause trouble. Run Afcad.exe, it will list all AFCADs for any airport you enter.

Im not expert, but i guess there could be landclass file in your scenery folder, it should be but in separate folder, otherwise memory goes up untill it runs out.

The DXT3 fixer seems to have done the trick, it fixed some textures with the EZ scenery objects which the PAOM scenery uses. No double AFCADs were found. And no rogue landclass files either.
    Flew into Nome without a hitch. Thanks all for your advice.
    Mark