Introducing the Avia 51 - Page 30
Page 30 of 58 FirstFirst ... 20222324252627282930313233343536373840 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Avia 51

Just do what one did before every aerial conveyance came with flaps. Slips are not for crosswinds only. In particular the so called Forward Slip is what one uses to increase the descent rate without increasing the airspeed. By exposing the side of the fuselage to the airstream and effectively changing the airfoil of the wing temporarily (because at least one of them is at least partially blocked from that normal airstream) you get down fast and controlled without any speed increase.

Provided there is no crosswind to take into account most pilots will swing the nose right and then stay on the center line using the ailerons. This way they do not have to look over as much of the panel to see the runway and in most US registered airplanes the right turning prop adds a little extra help to get re-aligned just before touching down.
    http://www.airbum.com/articles/ArticleSlips.html

Do the wonderful airplane justice by learning to fly it like a pro...after all it was built by a bunch of pros.

:ernae:
    Stefan

I'm having fun too! Great work guys.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Charter Member 2011

Talking about one Motor...

You wouldn't think animated persons would make such a difference, but they do!
    Mademoiselle is wondering when they will shut the darn door and get the draft off her neck

Ahh, there! It will take somewhat longer to get to champagne-pouring cruise height, than with two more rotators, but the journey will be much, much shortened once there.

As to sideslipping this lovely craft: please remember there is delicate cargo aboard!
    You would not contemplate bruising a soft shoulder by tipping her over... no, set up from far away and waft in for a perfect three-pointer, 65 KIAS.

LOL Great shots and great banter. Love it!

Oh BTW, the passengers and pilots were donated by "Lionheart". He is the man.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

I have a rather simple question that applies to both planes. Why are the red and green nav lights on the tail but nothing on the wingtips. The lenses are modeled so I assume it's an oversight. I moved mine to the wings, changed the tail to white, and added a landing light beam. If I am wrong please say so and I will put it back as it was.

Hi Terry; thanks for asking.

The wing lights are are modeled in gmax and they are there, albeit faintly, at least on my rig.

The lights on the tail, I can not tell you what they should be. I have pictures that show them on either side of the vtail with dark lens, and no specific info to describe them. But feel free to change them as you wish and ... enjoy. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Milton & Co,

Thank you guys so much for these great little gems!:salute: They are awesome and I'm sure I'll spend many hours with them.

Cheers,
    Maarten

Quote Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
    Milton & Co,

Thank you guys so much for these great little gems!:salute: They are awesome and I'm sure I'll spend many hours with them.

Cheers,
    Maarten

Thank you Maarten for hanging in here with us during development; we appreciate the support. The team had lots of fun doing the Avias, so much so, we are extending the efforts to ... two other Robert Nebesar designs of the period.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    we are extending the efforts to ... two other Robert Nebesar designs of the period.
    i guess that makes us the Nebesar-my

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Whiskey Zulu: that's really outstanding scenery - a delightful setting for AVIAtion.

Thanks for sharing.

It looks like I could use a few flying lessons from you and Sunny9850 too. Nice techniques fellas!
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

i'm planning to take off later in the Avia to go lead a formation of my 2012 demo aircraft.... she's a real beauty and the photographers will need a luxury ride and the Avia fits the bill perfectly..... :salute:

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wynn View Post
    i'm planning to take off later in the Avia to go lead a formation of my 2012 demo aircraft.... she's a real beauty and the photographers will need a luxury ride and the Avia fits the bill perfectly..... :salute:
    Thank you Matt for the excellent interior work and the exterior paint. They are awesome and really create an inviting atmosphere of warmth and beauty.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

No need to thank me Milton, was a pleasure to work with such a great team :salute: if anyone deserves the thanks it's you, for modelling this beauty and adjusting to what we spot during testing :salute::ernae:

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wynn View Post
    No need to thank me Milton, was a pleasure to work with such a great team :salute: if anyone deserves the thanks it's you, for modelling this beauty and adjusting to what we spot during testing :salute::ernae:

Well, of course, you are welcome. I really do expect feedback from texture artists as you guys are into the details I sometimes cannot see with the templates, or with paint schemes, and I always try to improve mapping techniques with your feedback. All team! Thanks.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

All was enjoyable on my part. An opportunity to give a little back to the community that, in hopes, enhances the "what was" for those who read of the history around the short lived and unfortunate times from back in the day.

From a virtual and visual aspect, I'm very gratified in seeing what came of the end results as a whole. I think it's very realistic (in a virtual way) for the resource materials shared with us.

Quote Originally Posted by OleBoy View Post
    All was enjoyable on my part. An opportunity to give a little back to the community that, in hopes, enhances the "what was" for those who read of the history around the short lived and unfortunate times from back in the day.

From a virtual and visual aspect, I'm very gratified in seeing what came of the end results as a whole. I think it's very realistic (in a virtual way) for the resource materials shared with us.
    You bet OB. Your contributions are greatly appreciated and more importantly brought the project to new heights. Thanks for all your efforts :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    You bet OB. Your contributions are greatly appreciated and more importantly brought the project to new heights. Thanks for all your efforts :-)
    Thanks. Although anyone with knowledge can paint. It takes someone like yourself to give the ability to do that. Your model (and the resources) gave me a nice visual representation I could work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Wing_Z View Post
    You wouldn't think animated persons would make such a difference, but they do!
    Mademoiselle is wondering when they will shut the darn door and get the draft off her neck

Clipped

As to sideslipping this lovely craft: please remember there is delicate cargo aboard!
    You would not contemplate bruising a soft shoulder by tipping her over... no, set up from far away and waft in for a perfect three-pointer, 65 KIAS.

LOL well if you master the technique a nicely executed slip will not lead to any bruising. There is no need to stomp on the pedals and snap the nose left or right. You simply ease the airplane into the slip.
    There is of course a bit of uneasiness for some passengers associated with the maneuver. So in real life, if I have a "newbie" passenger I explain those before the flight or if they are interested during the flight before executing a light slip.
    And if my passengers are indeed of the very uneasy variety I will avoid the slip altogether and extend downwind and of course final a bit to give me more room to ease on down and nail speeds precisely.
    Of course in a Saratoga the only reason to slip is because I wanted to or because I screwed up the approach in the first place

Stefan

P.s Did you "edit" the snow effect behind the wheels a bit in that shot or is this right out of FSX ??

Charter Member 2011
    Wow! eagle eye... a slight tweak, yes
    touchdown=fx_snowspray
    just for the screen.
    My first experience at sideslip was a little more extreme perhaps than what you are describing, Stefan: as a passenger in a Pitts.
    On a very tight base, I thought we were going round.
    But the pilot dropped the wing vertical, essentially over the threshold, and we went down with controls crossed until the very last moment.
    I was surprised at the time at the lateral force involved.
    But if you think about it, you are lying on your side, and it is a little bumpy on the way down!

!I want to publically commend Mr. Shupe and his 'Staff of Experts' on another excellent aircraft from the "Mr. Shupe and Co." stables!!

They fly GREAT, they sound GREAT and they look GREAT...

Excellent work by ALL involved..
    :salute:

Bill

Hi all.

I don't usually mess with perfection, but there was a little thing I noticed with the 156 this morning - no prop blur from the VC or spot view.

My solution was to copy over the alpha channel from spinpropb18.bmp from the 51 to spinprop.bmp for the 156.

Thought I'd share.
    --WH

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Hi all.

I don't usually mess with perfection, but there was a little thing I noticed with the 156 this morning - no prop blur from the VC or spot view.

My solution was to copy over the alpha channel from spinpropb18.bmp from the 51 to spinprop.bmp for the 156.

Thought I'd share.
    --WH
    Hey WH :-)

Glad that you can adjust those things to your liking. Seems we all see something a little different based on setups but I agree that this one was very faint.
    I think I may have put the FSX texture in the FS9 folder.

Appreciate that heads up.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just thought I'd take a breather...

Awefully quiet up here...all having a whale of a time with AVIAtion I suppose...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udm2YjKPKsE&feature=related

can't say I blame you all.

Oh well...back down I go...

Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Wing_Z View Post
    Wow! eagle eye... a slight tweak, yes
    touchdown=fx_snowspray
    just for the screen.
    My first experience at sideslip was a little more extreme perhaps than what you are describing, Stefan: as a passenger in a Pitts.
    On a very tight base, I thought we were going round.
    But the pilot dropped the wing vertical, essentially over the threshold, and we went down with controls crossed until the very last moment.
    I was surprised at the time at the lateral force involved.
    But if you think about it, you are lying on your side, and it is a little bumpy on the way down!
    I'll have to add that effect line and see what it looks like on my rig.

And yes I certainly was not thinking of that "brutal" of a slip. Just enough to increase drag and possibly a bit of an increase in sink rate. The Avia sisters certainly are very pleasant airplanes to fly around in and with a bit of planning and practice do not need extraordinary measures to get down.

I want to add my congratulations to all involved at this point for yet another absolute Masterpiece...or in this case two of them. If they don't win this years Flightsim award I will eat my hat.

Cheers
    Stefan

Thanks Stefan. Actually I haven't uploaded to Flightsim or Avsim yet. Was kind of waiting to sort out any issues here. I did upload to Simviation Friday or Saturday though.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members who have read this thread: 70