Here's another trip folks might be interested in ...

Thread: Here's another trip folks might be interested in ...

Here's another trip folks might be interested in ...

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?238249-Bendix-Trophy-Dash!!!!&p=1614029#post1614029

In case anyone's itchin' to go fast in WW II aircraft, WombatOne has put together a nice jaunt.

A redo of the Bendix Trophy Dash

Cheers,
    salt_air

I was going to post about this as well, Salty. Ed's come up with what looks like a fun event!

Thanks for the heads up. Might have to see what's out in the hangar...

The title got me interested too... until I discovered it would be another P-51 Dash. At least, this one will be historically accurate:
    "With surplus fighter planes available at less money than would be required to build a suitable airplane, the Bendix was assured of plenty of hot entries for its resumption in 1946. In fact, that race stands as the one having the greatest number of participants. Twenty-two racers actually made the starting line-up and seventeen finished. Of these, the majority were Lockheed P-38s. But the P-51 demonstrated its superiority when the four in the race took the first four places.
    Paul Mantz, the Hollywood stunt flyer, took home the Bendix Trophy that year with the remarkable time of 4 hours, 43 minutes and 14 seconds or 435.5 mph. Mantz is undoubtedly the all-time master of cross-country air racing, for he went on to repeat his Bendix victory again in ‘47 and ‘48."

http://www.airracinghistory.freeola....he wars(2).htm

The only real challenge will be to see how the times compare to the actual race times/records but I note there is no allowance built in for refueling time which DID count as it was a total-elapsed-time event

I realize the masses can't live without the warbird mystique, but a 1935-39 time would have made the aircraft so much more variable and interesting.

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    I realize the masses can't live without the warbird mystique, but a 1935-39 time would have made the aircraft so much more variable and interesting.
    That's what I'm thinking too
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

I agree with srgalahad. Perhaps if everyone used the real engine mod? Could be interesting never the less.

I'm going to have a go purely for the training in VOR navigation. As a greenhorn I'll take all the experience I can get.

I don't really plan on racing, but I find flying with a purpose much more fun.