Firefox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox

Blog Entries

Firefox

I have never been a fan of Firefox, I have had to put up with it for it 10 years, so it can be used on this website. ............................ everything we do, it is written for IE and firefox and its sub's

:isadizzy: but I now have the "3.1 beta 2" and I am happy with what I see.:friday:
    Look What I Have Become!

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Thanks for the heads up Ickie.

I'll have to check out FF. Alot of people really stand behind it...

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

I tried ver 3 but after fighting with the history buttons and menu's went back to ver 2. You'll notice next to the 'back' arrow in ver 2 there's a drop down arrow to select previously visited pages- this is missing from ver 3, so you need to go 'back' one page at a time.
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

Quote Originally Posted by MaddogK View Post
    I tried ver 3 but after fighting with the history buttons and menu's went back to ver 2. You'll notice next to the 'back' arrow in ver 2 there's a drop down arrow to select previously visited pages- this is missing from ver 3, so you need to go 'back' one page at a time.
    Hey Maddog, the back pages history is still there...it just got cleverly hidden a little bit in v3+. Right-click on the back button and you'll get a little pop-up with the last dozen pages you visited. If you hit the drop-down arrow that is by the forward button the past pages history is now on that side of the nav buttons.

If you use some of the aftermarket skins for FF, this drop-down menu arrow sometimes gets hidden.

I've used Firefox now for about 3 years. I currently have ver 3.0.4 and it's a lot better than IE.
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

I'm running v3.04 and that little "history" button is right there between the fwd and back buttons. I switched to FF well over a year ago and maybe its even been more than two years. Ain't nevah goin' back.

:ernae:

One of the reasons I use and like Firefox is that it ain't Mircosoft.:costumes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nausicaa
    Have FF and never use IE anymore.

FF is good, but OPERA is better

I use FF with out any plug ins, its really nice, and keeps the spy crap out.
    Take my love, take my land / Take me where I cannot stand, I don't care, I'm still free / You can't take the sky from me.

Take me out to the black / Tell 'em I ain't comin' back.

Burn the land and boil the sea / You can't take the sky from me...

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezyflier View Post
    FF is good, but OPERA is better

Cheezy, what is Opera? I keep hearing about it. Is this Linux?

I had been running IE7, but its always crashing, (like about 10 times a day, no joke. I have to Ctr/Alt/Del to close it). So I started using the Apple Windows version Safari, but that doesnt work well with YouTube or for downloading attachmenets on emails... arrghh..

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Bill,...............Opera is the free browser program put out by Itunes/Apple. I have Itunes installed in my computer so I'll get an occasional window 'asking' if I'd like to download Opera. I decline since I'm quite pleased with FF.

..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

SOH-CM-2014
    Ahhhh.....

Dommo arrigatto, gozi-mass, Brad Kaste-sahn....

<--- bows humbly

Bill-sahn

If I'm not mistaking Firefox runs on Macs also. I've been using FF for about 2 years and I only use IE7 if some page won't load right, which hasn't happened in about a year.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by brad kaste View Post
    Bill,...............Opera is the free browser program put out by Itunes/Apple. I have Itunes installed in my computer so I'll get an occasional window 'asking' if I'd like to download Opera. I decline since I'm quite pleased with FF.

actually, no. opera is not put out by apple. however, as browsers go, they don't get any more customizeable than this does. they were doing tabbed browsing before anyone else. it's totally free, and because it's not so mainstream, it repels alot of the crap you are forced to see with exploder and FF. that is a double edged sword however, because there are certain java heavy pages which won't load because of that. many of the crappy aol pages, for example. that said, try it out at the link below, and if you don't like it you can always uninstall it. but folks rarely don't like it. it converts nearly all who try it:
    http://www.opera.com/download/

SOH-CM-2014
    DANG!!

This Opera is one brilliant browser! I am very impressed. I love the quick-dial setups. Very smart little browser.

I work in nothing but shortcut keys and this has tons of shortcuts for going through tabs, browsers, etc.

Thanks for the heads up Cheezy! Very cool software.

Bill

Yall keep posting on FF and Opera. I'm thinking about moving up from IE 6 and would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of each.

BTW, what ever happened to NetScape? I used it years ago.

SOH-CM-2014
    I was a Netscape man myself! That was a brilliant browser.

Its like it up and disappeared... Odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    DANG!!

This Opera is one brilliant browser! I am very impressed.

Bill

welcome to the side where the grass actually is greener

I'm in a mixed marriage....

I use Firefox, my wife uses IE.

So far we've managed to keep our relationship together....but I don't know for how long.

Oh wait, she has all my money.

Never mind.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    BTW, what ever happened to NetScape? I used it years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    I was a Netscape man myself! That was a brilliant browser.

Its like it up and disappeared... Odd.

After Netscape did it's little stint as an ISP instead of just a browser package supplier, Netscape Navigator just kinda fizzled out. Official support for Netscape ended this past spring.
    You can still DL the older versions of it here.
    http://browser.netscape.com/releases

Netscape was built around the Mozilla engine so in effect, the same basic concept still lives on over at Mozilla.
    If you like the all-in-one concept that you had with Navigator, check out Mozilla SeaMonkey.
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/

I've been tempted to try out SeaMonkey, but FireFox (browser) and Thunderbird (email) as separate programs has been working great on my machines.

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaSea View Post
    I'm in a mixed marriage....

I use Firefox, my wife uses IE.

So far we've managed to keep our relationship together....but I don't know for how long.

Oh wait, she has all my money.

Never mind.

LOLOL... :costumes:

SOH-CM-2014
    Willy,

If you get Opera and try it out, check this;

Set up your fave 9 websites in the 'Speed Dial' section.

Hit Control - T to bring up Speed Dial page, hit your web selection where you want to go to, from number 1 through 9, hit enter, done.. page shows up. Lets say slot 1 is SOH. Hit Control/T, then 1, then Enter, done.. SOH site is there.

Hit Control/W to close a Tab. A Tab is a Browser window. You can have tons of Browser windows running simultaneously, and they are connected through a jump key; Control/Tab. You can select 'View Thumbnails' in the Control/Tab selector mini-window to see visually what you are selecting, making it easier to select a Browser (Tab) at say a website where you have several windows open.

If you close out of Opera (turn it off totally) the next time you boot it up, its right where you left it.

You can hit Control/W many times till all your Tabs are closed out, clearing it all down to the Speed Dial page, then close, and you have a clean start when you boot up next time.

There are some more shortcut keys, but I havent figured them all out yet.

Pretty cool to check out. You can always delete it if you dont like it. This hasnt locked up on me yet. Im not used to that. IE7 was locking up about 10 to 20 times a day, and that is no joke.. Absolute truth. If I went to SOH, then back to Yahoo, it locked up. Had to be shut off with Control/Alt/Delete...

Bill

I've used FF since ver 2.01 or so and have loved it. Added Thunderbird for mail and Sunbird for calendar/scheduling. but the best thing I found was Foxmarks. I have three computers that I often use. Foxmarks allows me to add bookmarks on any one and then synch them to all three transparently. Greeat for when I travel and then get home.. as soon as I run FF the bokmarks are updated on the desktop machine.
    The only issue I had was that when 3.0 came out I tried it and ran into a real pain with java-heavy pages loading so I went back to FF2.0.0.14 which has been updated to 2.0.0.18 and is delightfully stable.
    3.0 is due for a new test (Beta 2) once I get home for Mexico

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

I am still using IE6. Should I upgrade () one of these days?