DHC's Adventures?? In The Andes - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DHC's Adventures?? In The Andes

Quote Originally Posted by Great Ozzie View Post
    :salute:

:ernae:

Excellent!

Thank You, Sir! And thanks for the "Cold One".. Much Appreciated!
    I reflew the landing and took screenshots, to show how I did it..
    Charles

SPJB Landing Screenshots

These screenshots are from a refly of the landing. Airspeed going over the "knob" was right at stall speed. Had to do it this was because the big C-87 picked-up speed going down the other side.. enough speed that did result (during practice) into running off the "end of the world" (past the end of the landing strip).. Enjoy.Attachment 42685Attachment 42684Attachment 42683Attachment 42682Attachment 42681Attachment 42680Why does it post them in reverse order? Okay, in reverse order, Full Stop with some runway to spare. Roll Out. Just before Touch-Down. Just crested "knob" and getting plane down that 500+ feet. About the crest the "knob", airspeed is around 90mph at this point. Approaching "knob", altitude is as close to 9000" as I could keep it, gave me about fifty feet "under the wheels" when I crested the hill.
    Charles

Charles,

I noticed that too (the nutty order of posting). Two suggestions

Let's say six pics. Then open up six "slots" and start by adding the first pic into the top slot.

Other way:

After pics are uploaded, look carefully where they are placed. You can drag and drop to the "right" place if need be. This is sometimes why I number the pic in the name. Makes it easier to see placement, ordered left to right.

HTHs

Flight #8 Forgot to Post Departing SPBJ.. so…

Departing SPBJ.
    Gross Weight: 45413.
    MTOW: 56,000.
    Fuel: 4428.
    Payload: 10,000.
    Crew & Bags: 340.

An Hour Later:

Landed SPHZ. Scenic flight.

Gross Weight: 43864.
    Fuel Used: 1493.7.
    Direct Distance: 107nm
    Flight Time: 00:57:12.
    Max Altitude: 16,182.

Forgot to put flaps down on take-off, but got airborne anyway (no stall, Surprise!).
    The first Screenshot doesn’t show perspective real well, but C-87 “cresting” the hill is only “feet” above the hill. Had my landing gear been down, I’d still be ON the ground.. Yeah, it was THAT close!
    Shot during flight.. Radio Compass says: “Go this way”. Note Mountain in windscreen!!
    Next shot shows “route” I opted to take. I flew “in the valley” to SPHZ and descended from 16,000’ to 9300’ during the entire route.
    Looking out pilot’s window. I was still around 16,000’ (BIG Hill!)
    “Approach” to SPHZ.. Runway “peeking around a mountain”!
    In spite of being all over the area, I got the C-87 safely on the ground!

Attachment 42740Attachment 42739Attachment 42738Attachment 42737Attachment 42736Attachment 42735
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Great Ozzie View Post

After pics are uploaded, look carefully where they are placed. You can drag and drop to the "right" place if need be. This is sometimes why I number the pic in the name. Makes it easier to see placement, ordered left to right.

HTHs
    Ozzie;
    I uploaded this latest batch (SPBJ-SPHZ) in reverse order, it worked fine, but when I uploaded the "#1" pic, it got placed in the "#2" position.. So I did the "Drag & Drop".. That worked great!! Thanks for the education.. It's appreciated..
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by DHC120 View Post
    Ozzie;
    I uploaded this latest batch (SPBJ-SPHZ) in reverse order, it worked fine, but when I uploaded the "#1" pic, it got placed in the "#2" position.. So I did the "Drag & Drop".. That worked great!! Thanks for the education.. It's appreciated..
    np Charles... welcome for the "tip"

I saw Willy mention it and didn't even occur to me to say something there (glad Moses stepped in)... then saw yours and was like, "aha, that happened to me and I discovered that if you..."

Good deal it worked for you.

Flight #9 SPHZ-SPNC

Forgot again…

Departed: SPHZ for SPNZ.

Gross Weight: 49840 (duenna 49809.1)
    Fuel: 8856.0 (Duenna 8824.1)

Arrived: SPNZ.
    Gross Weight: 48686.6.
    Fuel Used: 1122.4
    Distance: 89.3nm
    Flight Time: 00:37:38.
    Max Alt: 16,597.
    Payload: 10,000

(Took a couple of screen shots, forgot to turn the program on!!)

Gonna try for a quick turn-around and head for SPVI Vicco.

Attachment 43152Attachment 43153
    Charles

Flight #10 SPNC-SPVI

Departing SPNC for SPVI (another short Runway.. Oh Joy!)

Gross Weight (FS9) 48683 (Duenna 48686.6)
    Fuel: (FS9) 7698.5. (Duenna 7701.6)
    Charles

Flight #10 Arrived SPVI

SPNC-SPVI

Landing Gross Weight: 47820.9
    Fuel Used: 801.0
    Distance: 57.4nm.
    Flight Time: 00"24:22.
    Max Altitude: 15,857'.

This was one of those flights that takes longer to prep for and do the paper work than it does to actually fly the route.
    Also, WHO builds an air strip on top of a bluff?? This is like the third one of these I've see (flew over another one during an earlier flight).
    Needless to say, I topped the "hill" coming into Vicco, saw the town off to my left and turned towards it as I'm scanning the area looking for an airport.. Nada! I just happened to look out the co-pilots front right window and spied the runway atop the bluff!! At this point, I'm several thousand feet BELOW the airfield.. It worked out, the "climb on approach" scrubbed my airspeed from 200+MPH down to a tad below 150. I dropped 25% flaps an the gear, lined-up and eased her in.. I did drift left, but I used most of the runway that my landing fees pay for ;-}
    Nice thing about these "top o'the world" airports, no Brooks Brothers.. I'm waiting for a truck-load of "other shoes" to fall!!
    A Dozen Flights to go! "Short!!"

Attachment 43156
    Charles

Flight #11 SPVI-SPLP

Departing SPVI

Gross Weight: 46987 lbs.
    Fuel: 6004.4 lbs.
    Payload: 10,000 lbs.

Gonna be an interesting take-off.. I cannot get above 90mph before I run out of runway.. Screenshots to follow ;-}
    Charles

Flight #11 SPVI-SPLP

Arrived SPLP..... in a ball of flames!!!
    Crashed on landing..
    Reset Flight to fly again.
    Charles

Flight #11B SPVI-SPLP Second Time's Charm!

Arrived (in one piece) SPLP Las Palmas.

Gross Weight: 46261.7 Lbs.
    Fuel Used: 698.1 Lbs.
    Flight Time: 00:34:26.
    Distance: 90.9nm.
    Max Altitude: 16,259'
    Payload: 10,000 Lbs
    Maintenance Points (This Flight): 4

.Attachment 43283Attachment 43284Attachment 43285Attachment 43286Attachment 43287

Taking Off from Vicco was a lot more difficult that landing, unlike Pampa Grande.
    In Pic #1 you'll notice I had to get in the farthest corner of the plateau.
    Pic #2 shows my "cross-wind" direction.
    Pic #3 shows the instruments just seconds before "going over the edge". Note Airspeed Unfortunately, THAT screenshot didn't "take".. Airspeed after I left the plateau was way under the 115mph required. Basically, I did a controlled? stall. I dropped nearly 10,000' before I attained a flyable airspeed WITH my flaps down! That was fun!!
    Charles

LOL
    Now we know why they built the airport on a bluff !
    Nice story to tell your grandchildren.

Flight #12 Departing SPLP

Departing SPLP Las Palmas for SPHO Col. Duarte.

Gross Weight: 45413.
    Fuel: 4428.
    Charles

Flight #12 Arrived SPHO

Arrived SPHO.

Max Altitude: 16710'.
    Gross Weight: 43059.4.
    Fuel Used: 2304.6.
    Distance: 174.2nm.
    Flight Time: 01:10:15.

Refueling and Reloading for another "Bootleg" run ;-}Attachment 43638Attachment 43639
    Charles

Flight #13 Departing SPHO

Departing SPHO for SPZO

Gross Weight: 46386.
    Fuel: 5402.2.
    I'm outta here..
    Charles

Flight #13 Down In Flames!!!

Took Off SPHO in broad daylight.. Next thing I know, I can see stars in the sky.. Where's the sun?? Sinking in the Pacific Ocean, and at a rapid rate!
    Firewalled the throttles (engines be damned!) in an effort to arrive with "some" daylight left..
    Fog set-in down in the valleys.. lovely.. At about fifteen miles out, I started descending from 16,000 to get below the fog.. That worked.. Got under fog, right over the town, so I'm looking for the airport.. I'm at 12,500'.. then 12,000 then 11,500', 11,000.. The runway is suppose to be at 10,860.. I got nothing, except I'm running out of town.. Why is it so black in front of me?? HILL!! Pull Up.. Climbed back to 12,500, went over hill into another town.. Slow descent, scanning the town for runway lights.. No lights, but I spotted the runway and it's only a few degrees off to my left.. Side-Slip the rudders, keeping the nose on the runway.. Too high, dropped to 11,500.. I coming down long, but I'm going slow enough that it won't be a problem.. Then the landing lights "Lit-Up" the runway.. in a TOTAL White-Out, the likes I haven't seen since the Blizzard in Rapid City (SD) in JUNE 1949!! I cannot see a thing.. I can't tell if I'm high, over the runway, nothing.. Then the ball of flame erupts.. Crap!!
    Charles

Wow! Got us sitting on the edge of our seats. What a tremendously bold effort. Hmmm. Now what is that saying about bold pilots and old pilots ...
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MM View Post
    Wow! Got us sitting on the edge of our seats. What a tremendously bold effort. Hmmm. Now what is that saying about bold pilots and old pilots ...
    Mike;
    "There are Old Pilots and there are Bold Pilots... But there are NO Old, Bold Pilots!" (Except Gen. Chuck Yeager!!)
    I didn't figure I was being bold, I've landed at night before (in a high-quality sim plane whose "Landing Lights" actually lit-up "down" the runway.. (FSX AccuSim B-17).. I can only say that the rendition code for the landing lights of the C-87 I'm using was (1) not tested for a night landing, or (2) not intended for actual night landing... Either way, I lose!
    This makes Three Crashes.. 12 Maintenance Points.. I am highly discouraged.
    Charles

But it was a good fight.
    And every landing where you can walk away to fly another day is a good landing. That was one big fireball though...

Quote Originally Posted by teson1 View Post
    But it was a good fight.
    And every landing where you can walk away to fly another day is a good landing. That was one big fireball though...
    Tenson;
    Walking away from "spectacular" landings is a good thing in real-life.. we simmers only have to hit the "Reset Flight" button and it "erases" history (even the FS9 logbook has no record of the flight/crash)..
    The problem is, in an event like the Clutch Cargo where doing well is dependent on a number of factors like fast flight times, low fuel consumption, high cargo loads and no mistakes (maintenance points), it doesn't take much to put an entrant into 30th place out of twenty-three contestants..
    Charles

Flight #13A Refly SPHO-SPZO

Last Attempt..
    Departing SPHO for SPZO.

Gross Weight: 46386.

Flight Aborted!
    Plane totally uncontrollable.. I don't know is something got corrupted, or what..
    A few flights ago, I lost "sound" on load-up.. Had to start with another plane, then switch to C-87.. Now, it will not flight "straight & level".. I'm "chasing the needle" just to keep in in a +500/-500 range.. the bad part is, this is more than just a "twitch" up and down on my yoke, but a significant "push/pull"..
    Will check more later..
    Charles

SNAFU

I do not know what happened, or why, but my controllers (Yoke, Rudder Pedals and both Throttle Quadrants) have all gone haywire..
    The yoke (elevator) will go "full up" with back pressure, to go "full down", I must push the yoke forward until it bottoms, then pus a little more.
    The Rudder Pedals are just as bad slight toe pressure will "lock" the brakes, but to get them to release, I must push down hard with my heels.
    The Throttle Quadrants were set for Engines #1, #2, #3 and #4, with the two remaining levers for RPM and Mixture While in the sim, engines at idle, the Throttle Levers are against the stop (but before you engage the "Reversers" if one was flying a hair dryer), moving the levers to "Full Throttle" results in FOUR separate throttle settings, with NONE of them actually producing "full power" on any of the C-87's engines.
    Also, when I first open FS9, I set the C-87 as the "default" aircraft with the fuel and cargo also "pre-set".. The plane will load, but there is no sound.. I change aircraft to the Cessna, got engine noise, change back to the C-87, got sound, but ALL my Fuel, Cargo, WX, Location, etc. setting "default" to Max Fuel, Limited cargo and in Seattle, Washington.
    Thinking this was "just an FS9 glitch", I went into FSX and selected my "default" aircraft there.. the A2A AccuSim B-17G.. The TQ's do the same thing in the B-17..
    I don't know what glitched, but I do not have the time to uninstall/reinstall both Flight Sims then spend several hours reinstalling the Addons, and "adjusting" all the controllers (I been messing with the controllers all day, as it is)..In the scheme of things, whatever is wrong, it "terminal" at this point in time..
    It was a honor to share the airways with you guys, even if it was only twelve flights.. Until next time....
    Charles

Gosh...sorry to hear this is all fouled up.

Hope you can come up with a quick solution to this strange turn of events.

--Mike
    -Mike

Flight #13B SPHO-SPZO

This is the "Come Hell Or High Water" Flight!

Departing: SPHO.
    Gross Weight: 46387.

I resolved the Controller issues, and I am determined to finish these flights (if I'm allowed back in).. Even it is might be in September!!
    Charles

Members who have read this thread: 0