ICON A5 up at Avsim.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ICON A5 up at Avsim.

ICON A5 up at Avsim.

Good looking little seaplane.
    Can't wait until I get my graphics problems sorted out to fully appreciate it.

The VC looks really good on that giant toy !
    Thanks a lot for the information, I'm downloading right now :ernae:

Downloaded, installed and flown (Icon is one I would love to see done to it's actual beauty and native FSX). Much improved over the only other Icon that I've seen done. Better VC (no 2d available), better exterior modeling, which is an accomplishment due to the complex fuselage design and fun to fly and land. Water landings are strange because of the "scrape" wave that activates when you touch down on water. . . .it sounds like you're doing a belly landing on concrete, lol.

I was at first anxious to give the moving map a good look, but then discovered that I lost about 14fps instantly upon pulling the moving map up on screen. . . . .go back to a setup screen or turn it off and the fps are back. Looks like I'll pull that module out and insert the GPS 500 in it's place. Too bad, it was pretty nicely done.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

had a look even without all colours working on my monitor ..

This is a classic in the making ... good stuff - will suit Alpine, Caribbean, PNW, etc. flying.
    Liking very much (used RADITOR program at radius 6 - like my wings to almost fit screen width).
    Many thanks to the author.

Ed, did the developer include paint templates? Never mind. It's small enough. I'll download and have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by OleBoy View Post
    Ed, did the developer include paint templates? Never mind. It's small enough. I'll download and have a look.
    No, but the textures look pretty simple really and since there are no panel lines or rivets. . . .makes it a lot simpler to just add paint and go.:salute:

Current System Specs:

Well, after taking a quick look at the VC via FSPanel Studio, it appears that nothing is accessible. all the gauges must be coded within the mdl file, so the fancy moving map is useless unless you have the ability to spare 14fps, lol. Too bad.

Current System Specs:

The Icon 5 is rather unique. I don't recall ever seeing one anyway. It's not bad for what it is. No issues with the map for me. I like the way it shows all the water bodies, or, you can switch to see where the airports are. Real handy for pond hopping!

I tried to figure out the scrape noise. I deleted the effect off the config in hopes that would get rid of the sound. No such luck

Nice little plane actually.
    After looking on Google I notice there's a shot where the wings are folded. Other pictures also. And ONLY $139.000.00!!!
    http://www.loqu.com/worth-139000-usd.../cddifouk-1448

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Thanks for the heads-up, it's a really nice aircraft! :ernae:
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Just had a look on Icons website, http://www.iconaircraft.com/ some great video's of the aircraft flying, water takeoff's & landings, trailer launch and recovery etc.

What a super model this is, thanks for the HU, try the wing folding and watch it from above the wing.

Apart from the problem with the moving map eating FPS, I also leave it switched off, the only other minor and it is only minor is that the pilot looks a bit pale in the face.
    A real fun airplane I wish I had $139,000, will have to be a Lottery win.

Finally tried it, and I had a lot of fun with it.
    I confirm the map eats a lot of FPS. When displaying in black and blue, it's still flyable with a lot of stuttering. When displaying the topography however, it becomes unflyable.

I copied Mooney sound folder to this plane's folder, then edited sound.cfg.
    Commented out left/right wing scrape sections figuring couldn't hurt and changed fusilage scrape filename to waterloop.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Anderson View Post
    I copied Mooney sound folder to this plane's folder, then edited sound.cfg.
    Commented out left/right wing scrape sections figuring couldn't hurt and changed fusilage scrape filename to waterloop.
    Perfect Paul, thanks!:salute:

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Anderson View Post
    This is a classic in the making ... good stuff - will suit Alpine, Caribbean, PNW, etc. flying.
    Liking very much (used RADITOR program at radius 6 - like my wings to almost fit screen width).
    Many thanks to the author.
    please more info on that program. I remember something like that for an earlier FS version didn't know there was one for FSX. Besides this a/c the Cirrus sr22 needs it too. In the display screen they are so small u can hardly see them and in the outside view in the sim they are the same way.
    USMC Retired SEMPER FI:USA-flag:

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Thank you:salute: I'm a pain I know but can some tell how this works, whats the X,Y,Z stand for? also the radius?
    USMC Retired SEMPER FI:USA-flag:

X = left/right
    Y = fore/aft
    Z = up/down

Radius = technically 1/2 wingspan, but more useful to think of it as "viewing distance."

Using RADitor, you'll no doubt see some very odd values, such as 6.2893892 or some such...

...but, simply replace values between 5 and 10 until the viewing distance is satisfactory to your tastes.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Still trying to figure out the interior textures for this one (if there are any), but in the meantime, just for a switch, I did a quick color change to give me a second Icon to fly. I also redid these textures to 4096x4096 (no mips), redrew all the logos, text, etc. to allow for the higher res skins, so if anyone needs those for future repaints, let me know.

Current System Specs:

That looks teriffic Falcon 409, are you going to upload it? It would be nice to have a second choice on this aircraft.

I flew it last night for three hours around PNW it's a real treat, would love a go in the full size.

Regards
    Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Thompson View Post
    That looks teriffic Falcon 409, are you going to upload it? It would be nice to have a second choice on this aircraft.
    I flew it last night for three hours around PNW it's a real treat, would love a go in the full size.
    Regards
    Bruce.
    Yea Bruce, just as soon as I win the lottery, pay off my bills, give some to the church and take care of my family, the first purchase I would make would be the Icon A-5 with my name on the canopy frame, lol. A light Sport Aircraft, limited below 10,000, day flights only and I'm about a 10 minute drive from one of the largest man-made lakes in North America. . . .sounds like a plan to me, lol.

Oh, yes I will be uploading what I have in a day or so.:salute:

Current System Specs:

It's a cool plane... the VC textures need some work (are they even textures?)

But it appears the GPS is home made... rather built from scratch with a bit of a default overlay so kudos to the author for that.
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbatc View Post
    It's a cool plane... the VC textures need some work (are they even textures?)

But it appears the GPS is home made... rather built from scratch with a bit of a default overlay so kudos to the author for that.
    On the textures, there aren't any other than the main panel, the remainder of the interior (side panels, floor, seats, etc., are just color swatches.

As for the GPS, I e-mailed the author to see if there was any fix for the fps hit caused when you turn on the "topo" mode. . . .he told me the Moving map only contains elements from the standard GPS500 (done in xml). Not sure why it hits my system so hard but it drops my fps by about 14fps. I replaced the moving map with the GPS500 and no more framerate hits.

Current System Specs:

Yeah I have a beefy system and the topo map destroys my fps lol. I noticed the topo map seems to be very high resolution... higher than default. Maybe that's why.
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Yea Bruce, just as soon as I win the lottery, pay off my bills, give some to the church and take care of my family, the first purchase I would make would be the Icon A-5 with my name on the canopy frame, lol. A light Sport Aircraft, limited below 10,000, day flights only and I'm about a 10 minute drive from one of the largest man-made lakes in North America. . . .sounds like a plan to me, lol.

Oh, yes I will be uploading what I have in a day or so.:salute:

You mean of the 500+ they have orders for one of e'm ain't yours!!! Euro lottery is £27 million
    this week i'll give it ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Thompson View Post
    You mean of the 500+ they have orders for one of e'm ain't yours!!! Euro lottery is £27 million
    this week i'll give it ago.
    I wish, lol. . . .really nice all purpose little airplane though. . . .it's nice to dream!

Current System Specs:

Members who have read this thread: 2