Luftwaffe RF-4F Phantom coming up!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Luftwaffe RF-4F Phantom coming up!

Luftwaffe RF-4F Phantom coming up!

Don't want to blow up the Phantom thread with these pics...

Just some pre-release test flight with my upcoming repaint of the Alphasim/Virtavia (now freeware!) RF-4F in Norm 72 colours of AG 52 "Panther".

Climbing out of Eggebek:

Air intake textures received a colour gradient to becomer 'darker' inwards:

The german Phantoms (also called "Luftwaffendiesel" or "Eisenschwein") did bear some bilingual stencils:

Low level reconnaissance, just some 1000 ft above the North Sea:

Back to Westerland/Sylt:

Just some final fiddling needed...

Cheers,
    Markus.
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: War nerves? Who said war nerves?
    The Patron: I heard it on that radio there.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: Radio's wrong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I do believe I had that same plane as a 1:12 scale plastic kit in the 70's!

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha66 View Post
    I do believe I had that same plane as a 1:12 scale plastic kit in the 70's!
    Must have been 1:18 or so I think.

As I mentioned in the main F4 thread.....Thank you very much in advance Markus for bringing the Luftwaffe paints to us in such splendid fashion. Looks stunning as all your work.

The hangar has been swept and space for the thrill of my youth has been made. I can still remember the house shaking on it's foundation when they came by what seemed just over the top of our chimney, starting my fascination with aviation and really annoying everyone else
    :ernae:

Stefan

Blog Entries
    Really, really nice work there, Markus. Super-fine detail, rivets, stencils, some panel line lightening. Lovely stuff.

Steven Beeny, FS repainter and modeller.

New EE/BAC Canberra series for FS2004 starting October 2010. See www.flyingstations.com for details.
    Watch the new Canberra promo video here: http://youtu.be/m3rWTivCupg

Thanks (again) for your kind replies, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by nazca_steve View Post
    ...Super-fine detail, rivets, stencils, some panel line lightening.
    Well, some parts of this praise must be addressed to the creator of the paint kit, as layered rivets, panel lines, shading and most stencils are already included with this set!
    I just had to add a seperate "speed dirt" layer and some custom stencils and decals...

Cheers,
    Markus.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post

Well, some parts of this praise must be addressed to the creator of the paint kit, as layered rivets, panel lines, shading and most stencils are already included with this set!
    I just had to add a seperate "speed dirt" layer and some custom stencils and decals...

Cheers,
    Markus.
    Gotta love those types of paint kits. :ernae:

Quote Originally Posted by Trans_23 View Post
    Gotta love those types of paint kits.
    Yep.
    Just like Steve's Canberra kits. Making a painter's live much easier...
    [Kelso shoots the radio]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

... stencils are already included with this set!...

Cheers,
    Markus.

Hey Markus, help me out here. For the life of me I cannot find the stencils you referenced already being in the set. I've looked in all the versions and all layers of all textures and don't see them. Got a clue you can post to help me locate them?

Thanks,

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

No prob, Steve!

In this case, it's
    Phantom set 3 Paint Kit > RF Version > left wing_T.psp > "stencils" layer (third from bottom)
    The Set 1 masters (different mapping) obviously aren't this elaborated...

Cheers,
    Markus.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No prob, Steve!

In this case, it's
    Phantom set 3 Paint Kit > RF Version > left wing_T.psp > "stencils" layer (third from bottom)
    The Set 1 masters (different mapping) obviously aren't this elaborated...

Cheers,
    Markus.
    Well, DUH! Obviously I didn't look at everything I thought I had! Thanks a million Markus. :salute:

Later,
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Glad I could help!
    [Kelso shoots the radio]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just a little more teasin'...

After fiddling on stencils, placards, decals and ejection marks for hours and hours (high-resolution repaints sometimes can be a curse!), I was in the mood to heat up the nozzles for a quick (M 1.6!) ride along the North Sea shores.

Taxiing at Ian Elliot's great Wittmund (home of JG 71 "Richthofen", note F-4Fs in the background)
    (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=109&id=2255)

Note: The crew's apparel is orange red now as it should. They aren't escaping prisoners...

Just turnin' some fuel into noise:

[Kelso shoots the radio]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi Marcus, im really looking forward to this repaint, the RF model is the only part of the Alpha pack im intrested in, looks loverly.
    As for Wittmund, i think your missing some objects, if you have the MAIW French Mirage packs installed they should show up,
    once again, can't wait cheers ian

Thanks for pointing me to it, Ian.
    And thanks for creating this nice playground for my Rhino! :salute:

But I think I'd better leave the objects as they are to keep framerates high...

Cheers,
    Markus.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

hallo Markus

Did the Marine boys also have RF-4's

Liebe Grüße

Roland/Wien

As far as I know, the "Marineflieger" didn't operate RF-4Fs.
    They had some F-104G used for reconnaissance (and the Breguet "Atlantic" of course).
    The Starfighters got replaced by MRCA Recce Tornados.

But the grey "Marine" scheme would have looked nice on the Rhino...

Cheers,
    Markus.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hallo Markus!

Fantasic repaint! As always I might add...:salute:
    Flying this beauty would really make my day.

Keep up the great work!

JG71 "R" FSM (Reserve)
    Godspeed, Bernd
    NATO E-3A Squadron 1, 1993 - 2000

"Runway left behind and altitude above are useless..." Al "Tex" Johnston
    Remember YUKLA 27
    Remember ESSO 77

Hallo, Bernd!

Lieben Dank! :salute:
    As I've just seen in the Warbird's Archive, you've already done some dances with this lady (Cloud9 version) before...
    No Norm 72 included?

Some very good news:
    Mediated by Carlo at vgaf.net, I've received permission to make use of the painstakingly accurate stencils made by a very nice guy named Volker Prauss, originally created for a StrikeFighters RF-4F paint. They just needed some resizing and re-adjusting.

The left wing is already fitted with those typical bilingual stencils and maintenance markings:

Note the difference to the right wing's english-only stencils included with the paint kit!
    Same goes for the underwing and belly letterings:

Now for the starboard side...

Cheers,
    Markus.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I had a nice long conversation with a USAF F4 driver this past weekend at McClellan who was based in Germany for a while. A bunch of very neat details came to light, such as that the compartment behind the rear cockpit that normally houses some equipment to locate the aerial tanker can hold 59 1l bottles of wine for transport back to the USA

More useful numbers are that it took 18 minutes to go from full tanks to bingo fuel in stage 4 of the afterburner. With the original smooth nose models that was good enough for MACH 2.5 at or around FL320.
    At Max Military power it topped out at MACH .97 or so.
    Full Ferry fuel was about 3100 gal and that was good for a three hour flight with some reserves.

Another interesting bit of info was that the gun installed in the Phantom did not throw it's spent shells overboard...they were basically rolled back up and stayed with the airplane.
    One reason was obvious....the shells could have possibly gone into the air intakes of the engines. The other was that throwing them overboard also would have shifted the CG aft.

Ok...now that I rambled on a bit....did you finish the paint yet Markus
    I have not flown the F4 yet.....it's still sitting in the hangar under a tarp waiting for this striking paint job.
    :ernae:

Stefan

Blog Entries
    The shell retention is interesting; I recently learned of the same thing with the A-10 which does the same for CG purposes. Makes sense, but let's face it, the sight of spent brass spilling out of a plane is pretty cool.

New EE/BAC Canberra series for FS2004 starting October 2010. See www.flyingstations.com for details.

Hi,

brass spilling
    For the A-10 the shells are made with a Aluminum alloy ..

From
    The Great Book Of Modern Warplanes
    Edited by Mike Spick
    Salamander Books
    This alone adds 30% to amunition capacity for a given weight
    The shells have also a plastic driving band to improve barell life

Blog Entries
    Technicalities. Aluminium (or is that aloominum?) doesn't have the same ring to it as brass

Cool

Hi,

Aluminum is the correct spelling in English (modern)

In 1808, Humphry Davy identified the existence of a metal base of alum, which he at first termed alumium and later aluminum (see etymology section, below)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium

There are two variants of the metal's name in current use, aluminium and aluminum (besides the obsolete alumium). The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) adopted aluminium as the standard international name for the element in 1990, but three years later recognized aluminum as an acceptable variant. Hence their periodic table includes both.[51] IUPAC prefers the use of aluminium in its internal publications, although nearly as many IUPAC publications use the spelling aluminum.[52]
    Most countries use the spelling aluminium. In the United States, the spelling aluminum predominates.[53][54] The Canadian Oxford Dictionary prefers aluminum, whereas the Australian Macquarie Dictionary prefers aluminium. In 1926, the American Chemical Society officially decided to use aluminum in its publications; American dictionaries typically label the spelling aluminium as a British variant.
    The name derives from its status as a base of alum. "Alum" in turn is a Latin word that literally means "bitter salt".[55]
    The earliest citation given in the Oxford English Dictionary for any word used as a name for this element is alumium, which British chemist and inventor Humphry Davy employed in 1808 for the metal he was trying to isolate electrolytically from the mineral alumina. The citation is from the journal Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London: "Had I been so fortunate as to have obtained more certain evidences on this subject, and to have procured the metallic substances I was in search of, I should have proposed for them the names of silicium, alumium, zirconium, and glucium."[56][57]
    Davy settled on aluminum by the time he published his 1812 book Chemical Philosophy: "This substance appears to contain a peculiar metal, but as yet Aluminum has not been obtained in a perfectly free state, though alloys of it with other metalline substances have been procured sufficiently distinct to indicate the probable nature of alumina."[58] But the same year, an anonymous contributor to the Quarterly Review, a British political-literary journal, in a review of Davy's book, objected to aluminum and proposed the name aluminium, "for so we shall take the liberty of writing the word, in preference to aluminum, which has a less classical sound."[59]
    The -ium suffix conformed to the precedent set in other newly discovered elements of the time: potassium, sodium, magnesium, calcium, and strontium (all of which Davy isolated himself). Nevertheless, -um spellings for elements were not unknown at the time, as for example platinum, known to Europeans since the sixteenth century, molybdenum, discovered in 1778, and tantalum, discovered in 1802. The -um suffix is consistent with the universal spelling alumina for the oxide, as lanthana is the oxide of lanthanum, and magnesia, ceria, and thoria are the oxides of magnesium, cerium, and thorium respectively.
    The spelling used throughout the 19th century by most U.S. chemists was aluminium, but common usage is less clear.[60] The aluminum spelling is used in the Webster's Dictionary of 1828. In his advertising handbill for his new electrolytic method of producing the metal 1892, Charles Martin Hall used the -um spelling, despite his constant use of the -ium spelling in all the patents[48] he filed between 1886 and 1903.[61] It has consequently been suggested that the spelling reflects an easier to pronounce word with one fewer syllable, or that the spelling on the flier was a mistake. Hall's domination of production of the metal ensured that the spelling aluminum became the standard in North America; the Webster Unabridged Dictionary of 1913, though, continued to use the -ium version.
    ROFL

Blog Entries
    Fascinating. At the total risk of a thread-jack, we should look up 'oriented' and 'orientated' as well, as this has always puzzled me.

Regardless of these etymological shenanigans, Markus' paints are stellar and I say keep up the good work sir! *phew, thread-jack partially recovered*