The Pacific Rim Nifty 50s Jet Challenge, an overview
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Pacific Rim Nifty 50s Jet Challenge, an overview

The Pacific Rim Nifty 50s Jet Challenge, an overview

This is basically where we're at. Our upcoming event will be a subsonic military jet race around the Pacific Rim from Australia to California with mandatory stops at selected airfields in Indonesia, Hong Kong, Japan and Alaska and possibly others. Keep in mind that the rules are being finalized and subject to change.

The Aircraft: Any military jet actually flown with a Max Mach of 1.0 or less in level flight (including prototypes) that was in service before 31 December 1959. No mods to airfiles/aircraft.cfg files unless approved by the race comittee. The usual panel mods as used in the annual RTW are allowed with exceptions as outline below

NavAids: As we are simulating 1950s navigation, No GPS. DR, NDB, VOR, DME along with Winddrift gauges may be used. No moving map type programs.

Start: While we've been shooting for 16 April, I'm thinking a week later (23 April) is more realistic. Probably at 1200Zulu on that date.

Flights: As usual, all flights to be verified using the Duenna program. Flights can be flown in daylight hours, but at least 3 landings must be made at night. Leg lengths and destinations are up to the individual pilot, keeping in mind the mandatory airport stops (To Be Announced Later). You can fly these on your time. Posting of flights will be like last years Evita event.

Event End: Figure at least one month to complete although longer time will be considered depending on how it's going.

Style Points: Style Points will be given but not really count for anything. Earning style points can be done by completion of tricky approaches, screenshots of interesting landmarks, really good tales of daring and pilotage in the Pilot's Lounge thread.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Feel free to post any questions/suggestions in this thread. We want this event to be fun for all.

Willy
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Sounds fun Willy. Some cool aircraft available in that period...hmmm, let me think now...
    -John-

question: one plane only for the duration of the race?
    -------------------------------------------------------------

here's a fun list of planes from the period. LOTS are available for fs9!

http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircr...-1950-1959.asp

It should be noted that a commercial version of the Vulcan was also in considered but this led to nothing more than completion of a small scale model. The aircraft (designated Type 722 Atlantic) would have seated between 90 and 115 passengers and presented flying speeds just under Mach 1. The idea was dropped due to a lack of interest in the market though the Vulcan in a passenger airliner form would have been quite a sight over commercial airports to say the least.
    man that's a dreamy sounding plane.....

Yes, only one per trip. But there's nothing that says that you can't fly it twice with a different aircraft the second time.

I already have an idea of what I want to fly.

It's not the fastest choice. It won't catch the F-86s and J-29s that will likely proove popular in this event.

It's not the most practical choice. It may be hard getting into and out of certain airports.

But does it have a ton of charisma and character? Does it have the rumbling thunder of four turbojet engines? Does it belch out enough black smog to make the EPA tear its collective hair out?

Yes, yes, and yes. How can I say no?

Red, I like it. I thought hard about a RAF Comet 2 myself.

On the J-29. Keep in mind that there's two of them that I'm aware of. The J-29B which is subsonic and the J-29F which has an afterburner and will break Mach 1. The J-29F wouldn't be allowed, while the J-29B would.

We'll start an entry thread in a few days.

:salute:Great choice Red, I will also be belching out the good old black smoke! My choice is the Boeing B-47

SOH Staff
    I may have narrowed my list down to 3;
    RB-87 Thunderflash
    B-57 Canberra
    B-47 Stratojet

am leaning toward the B-47,
    but need to practice more short runway landings
    before my final decision.

Willy,
    thanks for getting this going.
    sounds like fun
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

It's not just me. It's been a team effort with the rest of Flight 19 (MM, Moses03, PRB and Taco).

SOH Staff
    WTG, Thanks, Guys. :salute:
    sometimes it doesn't.

Time to get out my VQ-1 painted Skywarrior.

VQ-1 was based at Iwakuni in 1955-60 before moving to Atsugi. The Whales arrived in the squadron in the late 50s. The 'Willy Victors' did not come until the early 60s.

I guess for '59 I could overfly Vietnam, but have to stay at least 50 nm from the coast of China and North Korea by squadron SOP. The A-3s still have the tail turret back then, but they tried to avoid air-air engagements.

Depending on the required airports, I might be able to make this flight landing at airports where I have really been in the real world.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Reggie Fields, KADS, Addison, Texas, USA

I think I've finally got mine picked out. Problem is that to get the version that I want, I'm going to have to paint it myself. Over 6000 of these built, in service in numerous countries, FS model has been out since 2004 and no one has painted a USN version of it other than the one that flew with the Blue Angels.

Hope I can remember how to paint FS aircraft otherwise I'll be flying for the Marines.

I'm either going to fly the B-47, the B-57, the F-89, or the F-86. Unless I fly the A-3. Or the B-66.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Tho it doesn't effect my choice, but a clarification please:
    Any military jet actually flown with a Max Mach of 1.0 or less in level flight (including prototypes) that was in service before 31 December 1959
    If a prototype was tested before the end of 59, but the production model entered service in 1960 I assume I can use, right ?

I ask because it will make the difference between the first version, and the second version with greater range. I won't tell you what I'm choosing, I wanna watch ya's crap your pants when I pull up to the start line.
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

We're still working on it but right now the way I'd call it is if the prototype was in service (which for a prototype would mean being tested) as of 31 Dec 1959 and it doesn't run afoul of the Max Mach rule, then it should be legal.

O'course if my colleagues have a different idea, I'm all ears.

I'm going with MiG-15 if the leg range will keep it in.

SOH Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    This is basically where we're at. Our upcoming event will be a subsonic military jet race around the Pacific Rim from Australia to California with mandatory stops at selected airfields in Indonesia, Hong Kong, Japan and Alaska and possibly others. Keep in mind that the rules are being finalized and subject to change.

The Aircraft: Any military jet actually flown with a Max Mach of 1.0 or less in level flight (including prototypes) that was in service before 31 December 1959. No mods to airfiles/aircraft.cfg files unless approved by the race comittee. The usual panel mods as used in the annual RTW are allowed with exceptions as outline below

NavAids: As we are simulating 1950s navigation, No GPS. DR, NDB, VOR, DME along with Winddrift gauges may be used. No moving map type programs.

Start: While we've been shooting for 16 April, I'm thinking a week later (23 April) is more realistic. Probably at 1200Zulu on that date.

Flights: As usual, all flights to be verified using the Duenna program. Flights can be flown in daylight hours, but at least 3 landings must be made at night. Leg lengths and destinations are up to the individual pilot, keeping in mind the mandatory airport stops (To Be Announced Later). You can fly these on your time. Posting of flights will be like last years Evita event.

Event End: Figure at least one month to complete although longer time will be considered depending on how it's going.

Style Points: Style Points will be given but not really count for anything. Earning style points can be done by completion of tricky approaches, screenshots of interesting landmarks, really good tales of daring and pilotage in the Pilot's Lounge thread.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Feel free to post any questions/suggestions in this thread. We want this event to be fun for all.

Willy
    please pardon my ignorance,
    but are any NavAids acceptable?
    if so, what?
    sometimes it doesn't.

Smilo thats how we do it in the spring event No Navaids. Its pure Point and hope.

Actually that is written rather confusingly. What that means is NO Gps but you can use all other FS Nav aids.

At least I hope thats what it means.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

No such thing as a stupid question (unless I'm asking it :d). I could have worded that better.

DR, NDB, VOR, DME and Winddrift gauges may be used.

DR, NDB and Winddrift we normally allow and as this is set in the late 50s, VOR/DME were in use by then. Military aircraft used TACAN which is similar to VOR/DME so that was another reason we decided to allow them.

GPS and moving map programs are not allowed however.

SOH Staff
    whew...you had me a little worried.
    I haven't flow to coordinates for a few years.
    now, that would be a challenge!

I've just added the ALPHA A-3 to my short list.
    she's not as fast as the B-47,
    but being a carrier AC,
    the short field potential is greatly enhanced.
    we shall see.

and, thanks for the update
    sometimes it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by smilo View Post
    I've just added the ALPHA A-3 to my short list.
    she's not as fast as the B-47,
    but being a carrier AC,
    the short field potential is greatly enhanced.
    we shall see.
    In my years with and later following VQ-1 and VQ-2, I don't remember the A-3 as a short field aircraft. A drag chute was necessary for runway landings since arresting gear on runway are only for emergencies. The real A-3 didn't have great brakes.

I have a Greg Pepper A-3 which was never released which has better brakes and is more stable for landing than the Alpha Sim model. But I find the AlphaSim aircraft quite acceptable.

I'm a bit concerned about the A-3 range on a Japan to Shemya leg. I don't think it can make Misawa to Shemya.

When we brought VQ-2 A-3's from Rota to Atsugi and Guam to use in Danang, they made the trip across the Pacific on a carrier deck.

Now if I could arrange a Navy C-130 with refueling capability between Misawa and Shemya.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Reggie Fields, KADS, Addison, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by RFields View Post
    Now if I could arrange a Navy C-130 with refueling capability between Misawa and Shemya.....
    How about a whole airport?

We're nailing down a few small issues with the rules and hope to have them out before Friday the 16th and start the race on the next Friday, the 23rd.

SOH Staff
    thanks for the HU, Reg.
    I don't know what I was thinkin',
    most likely, nothin', as usual.
    sometimes it doesn't.

Air refueling?

If anyone wants to take this trip with a Vulcan:
    It may need some supporting fleet...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Black_Buck

Godspeed!
    Markus.
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: War nerves? Who said war nerves?
    The Patron: I heard it on that radio there.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: Radio's wrong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Members who have read this thread: 0