Best British Vintage aircraft in FSX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best British Vintage aircraft in FSX

Best British Vintage aircraft in FSX

What do you think is the best vintage british aircraft in FSX? It must be freeware. Milton's Puss Moth is great in FSX.
    Jake C Gazzard

Didn't quite escape.
    Dave Garwood's DH Dragon Rapide is quite nice too...

If we're allowing ports Jim Douglass made a nice Gipsy Moth

SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Where can i get the Gipsy Moth?
    Jake C Gazzard

Dave Garwood's Auster J1 Autocrat is a must have IMHO.

I just had to reformat my HD and reinstall FSX and the Autocrat was one of the first add-on aircraft that went back into my hangar.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by jakegazzard View Post
    Where can i get the Gipsy Moth?
    The aircraft from Avsim search: dh_60_moth_pkg.zip

The Aircraft and repaints at: http://classicbritishfiles.com/index.php
    SYSTEM :
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler

Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    Dave Garwood's Auster J1 Autocrat is a must have IMHO.

I just had to reformat my HD and reinstall FSX and the Autocrat was one of the first add-on aircraft that went back into my hangar.
    Of course but being an old fart I didn't think of it as vintage:mixedsmi:
    SYSTEM :

I still think that if says FSX in the title of the thread it should really be a 'native FSX', not everybody gets a nice smooth VC with portovers.

I know things like Rick P's 748 and David Maltby's 1-11 and Comet work in FSX, but I still get much lower FR with them than with native FSX (SP2)models, so do not fly them any more, a great loss. If you have a really powerful PC, it becomes less of an issue.

I vote for the Autocrat too, easily as good as some of the payware Pipers about at the moment and a fraction of the price.

Quote Originally Posted by calypsos View Post
    I still think that if says FSX in the title of the thread it should really be a 'native FSX', not everybody gets a nice smooth VC with portovers.

I know things like Rick P's 748 and David Maltby's 1-11 and Comet work in FSX, but I still get much lower FR with them than with native FSX (SP2)models, so do not fly them any more, a great loss. If you have a really powerful PC, it becomes less of an issue.

I vote for the Autocrat too, easily as good as some of the payware Pipers about at the moment and a fraction of the price.
    As the thread originator mentioned the Puss Moth (Fs9) then I think it's his call. Vintage aircraft tend to be small and lacking complex systems which tends to mean they perform well in FsX. The Gipsy and the Puss Moth both perform well in FsX.
    SYSTEM :

Yes, it doesnt have to be a native FSX aircraft, however it needs to perform well in FSX. The autocrat and puss moth are a few of my favourite.
    Jake C Gazzard

Using "vintage" as a relative term, this old girl in FSX keeps me busy and happy . .
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

no one likes the bristol bulldog?

Charter Member 2015
    Depends what you regard as vintage...but I really enjoy Rick Piper's DHC-1 Chipmunk version 3,
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by kilo delta View Post
    Depends what you regard as vintage...but I really enjoy Rick Piper's DHC-1 Chipmunk version 3,
    That depends on where you draw the 'vintage' line I guess.

If you say 50+ years old then the Chippy qualifies but that just makes me feel old!

I have flown Chippies in RL and they would not have been considered 'vintage' at that time.

I have heard a rumour that Rick was working on a full blown FSX version of the Chippy but that was a while ago now so I have no idea how it's progressing or even if it's still a going concern. I still fly the FS9 v3 in FSX regardless.......gotta have my Chippy!
    Larry

I like dave garwoods beaufighter and it is a true fsx model.

Quote Originally Posted by olaf1924 View Post
    I like dave garwoods beaufighter and it is a true fsx model.
    yep i totally agree there and recommend it

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Using "vintage" as a relative term, this old girl in FSX keeps me busy and happy . .

Ahem - where are the props?
    Felix/FFDS

Rob Bruce's Bristol F2B is a true gem.
    Mathias

dhazelgrove
    If "vintage" is defined as 'over 25 years old' then there's always these:

However british....?
    Anneke

Ha... This thread has me kinda stumped. I don't know really what my favourite British vintage plane is, probably Dave Garwood's Rapide. i love this one, because it has a varient (HG691) which I've actually flown in.

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    That depends on where you draw the 'vintage' line I guess.

If you say 50+ years old then the Chippy qualifies but that just makes me feel old!

I have flown Chippies in RL and they would not have been considered 'vintage' at that time.

I have heard a rumour that Rick was working on a full blown FSX version of the Chippy but that was a while ago now so I have no idea how it's progressing or even if it's still a going concern. I still fly the FS9 v3 in FSX regardless.......gotta have my Chippy!

Alas I've never flown one in RL...just sat in 'em. According to Rick, the FSX version is still on the cards and I'll await that with baited breath. In the mean time I'm very happy with V3.:ernae:
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I was chatting Rick a few weeks ago, now he is employed as a pro 3D modeler, it is a bit like working at something that was a hobby, you do not have as much time (or inclination.....I think the term used to be 'busman's holiday') to do 'free' stuff. as when you were working at some unconnected job to 3D modelling.

He has several projects on the go at the moment (including a native SP2 Chippy, if I remember correctly), but due to work pressures and problems sourcing decent technical info, they have no timescales at all.

my deffinition of vintage is if its older than me then it qualifies! So DG's Hunters!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Rob Bruce's Bristol F2B is a true gem.
    I love threads like this, they never fail to bring up models I've never heard of, like this one - what a beauty! Any suggestions for a sound pack? I don't think the default Lycoming sounds do it any favours.

Members who have read this thread: 6