donlimpio/Beech D18S/Golden Age - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: donlimpio/Beech D18S/Golden Age

donlimpio

Leg 12 The longest flight

We made it, finally. After spending nearly a week in Singapore and fixing technical problems, not to forget the installation of the second ADF, we are down and safe in Surabaya. Beautiful weather, seems we were sitting out all Thunderstorms in the area. WSSL has seen a lot of rain over the last few days. In Surabaya we arrived early enough for lunch and will call it a day. Tomorrow Australia is the goal, Darwin or maybe even further. That means an early start at daybreak.

donlimpio
    Still dark outside, getting ready to head for Kupang

Handsome panel installation, Olli.
    -Mike

donlimpio

Leg 13 Flight of Fancy

Thanks a lot Mike, I'm sure glad it's working as smooth as well.

Thanks again to Milton and Scott, this dual RMI setup is just what was needed.

Just landed in El Tari, Kupang, a quick fill up and then we're heading for Darwin. This was to date the most beautiful flight. Along the endless stretch of vulcanos in Indonesia in early morning.

The prospect of seeing Australia in a few hours is getting me all excited, if we're quick enough who knows, maybe we'll even make it to Melbourne today.

donlimpio
    Engines started again and will take off shortly to Darwin

donlimpio

Leg 14 Australia!

And we made it to Darwin. Although it looked like it would be a clear view all along, thick haze kicked in about 70 miles out and only cleared up on landing. Luckily the NDB is lined up with the runway and the heading flown nearl the runway heading. Even in low viz this was a nice straight in approach.

donlimpio
    Fuel loaded and we're heading on for Cloncurry, should be all good as long as the sun stays up...

donlimpio

Leg 15 Lost in Queensland

Down safe in Cloncurry after all. I haven't fully tracked my route, just so much I must have had some sort of autopilot malfunction or erratic winds and not realising it for quite some while. One shouldn't have dinner at the controls while reading! At 16.00 local time I noticed I was heading 98 deg instead of the planned 132, only I didn't know for how long I've flown off course! So with a good guesstimate I changed course to 145 deg, trying to get into the Cloncurry or Mount Isa NDB range. At 17.55 still no signal and I was getting very nervous, with an estimated ETA of 18.05! I changed course again to 185 deg and hoping for the best, I couldn't have been possibly too far south? Two minutes later the Mount Isa started its sweet morse peeping. I was simply a lot slower due to headwinds and my little detour and not nearly as far as guessed! Two other indicator lights started lighten up as well. I was getting low on fuel. I decided to take no chances and to fly directly via the NDB, from Isa it should be straight East to Cloncurry, luckily the airport beacon kicked in shortly after, the rest was just smiles for fifty miles. A last bit of excitement were hefty crosswinds at Cloncurry and I was glad enough to be back on the ground after a gentle bounce. Now having some redwine and some rest.

donlimpio
    climbed in the cockpit and warming up for Charleville, going in five

donlimpio

Leg 16 Slip sliding away

Down in Charleville. Mostly an uneventful flight if it wasn't for my overenthusiastic approach. Even a hearty sideslip didn't do the trick and I couldn't slow her down to flap speed, still tried, but had to go around and do a quick lap round the field. Breakfast time and then it's time for Melbourne

donlimpio
    off to Melbourne! My time estimate for the trip 3:35h

donlimpio

Leg 17 In Melbourne Tonight

We made it! Safely down in Essendon Airport Melbourne.

The last leg was another mainly uneventful ride. Lots of NDB's on the last stretch, so it was easy to keep on track. Had everything from thick clouds to mist for about an hour before it cleared up and a very excited Learjet tried to land before me from the other side of the runway, I made sure I left the tarmac quick enough! Hope it was the Champagne-plane.

SOH-CM-2016
    Congrats on finishing, and it looks like you might have just set a new standard in the precision competition. Only 12 seconds out!
    Martin (FS RTW Race pilot 2009-19)
    Win7 x64 | MSI X79A-GD65 | Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz | 16GB DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

donlimpio
    Oh bummer, and just realised I forgot to set the correct date on Leg 16, Cloncurry to Charleville this morning, time of the day is right, but should have been today and not the 6th. Guess I was not fully awake. I don't know how you guys wanna handle this, I surely didn't try to cheat, just stupid. I'm just too glad i made it without any scrap metal. This was fun!

WTG on a nice race and a fantastic precision finish!!! I was pretty sure someone would get within 15 seconds..and early rather than late.
    Vicious - Team Avsim

nice flying, enjoy the champers!

Well done Olli! :ernae:

That's going to be a touch act to follow.

Congrats on making it to Melbourne.

Olli, don't worry about the date on Leg 16. No harm, no foul.

Congratulations on completing the course--and doing so very well on the precision contest.
    -Mike

Excelenté! :ernae:
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

donlimpio
    thank you all so much, it was a pleasure to fly the race.

Vicious, thanks, that was pure luck, honestly. If you'd asked me before I would have said I'll never get in to the 5 min range.

Willy, I just saw you picked up the Beech again. Nice! Is it just me or is it virtually impossible to fly the test speed for a good handicap?

And Milton, thank you for such a wonderful plane and goodies. The dual ADF saved my day big time on the way to Charleville!

And of course thank you Mike, Moses, bpfowler, and Martin for your kind words and your warm welcome to a stranger.

Never done a "classic" navigation around the world before. And I have to say, I like it. Might try something new soon... thanks again for the nice wishes, I think there's still loads of Champers left.

well done donlimpio.... amazing estimate time!!!! the bar is very high for the remaining pilots, for sure, WOW...

Congrats on finishing
    Remember: It's break ground, and fly into the wind..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Congrars Ollie

Congrats!!

First Class job Ollie!!,

Way to go mate,,,,,good'un !!..
    salt_air

Members who have read this thread: 0