SWSucceed - Golden Era DC3 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SWSucceed - Golden Era DC3

SWSucceed
    Departing ORBI for OIBB ...

SWSucceed
    Landed OIBB

SWSucceed
    Leg 5 flight report and pictures: http://aspirefsx.com/viewthread.php?tid=250

Or the blog: http://fsx.aspireblogs.com

Lots of sand .... what more can I say

SWSucceed
    Departing OIBB to OIZJ ...

Never got off ground? Aircraft rolled over immediate on leaving runway?

Traced fault to mouse, had managed to toggle mouse yoke so when moving mouse to dashboard of plane it rolled it over. Watch out for that one!

Took a reboot to get duenna to go off of red. Try again.

SWSucceed
    Departing OIBB for OIZJ ...

SOH-CM-2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SWSucceed View Post
    Traced fault to mouse
    Ah, yes, pesky rodents! :costum: When mice start chewing through the instrument cables all sorts of bad things can happen...

Hope the weather at Jask is good for you - I imagine it would be quite hard to find in IMC.
    Martin (FS RTW Race pilot 2009-19)
    Win7 x64 | MSI X79A-GD65 | Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz | 16GB DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

SWSucceed
    Landed OIZJ

SWSucceed
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookster67 View Post
    Ah, yes, pesky rodents! :costum: When mice start chewing through the instrument cables all sorts of bad things can happen...

Hope the weather at Jask is good for you - I imagine it would be quite hard to find in IMC.
    hehe!
    Had t swing out to the coast as it was blanket cloud at times and I needed to see that "spur" that juts out about 25 mins out from landing, an indication when to swing out a little to make the landing approach.

Outside the coast beautifully clear and very few winds or problems. Mice have been humanely dealt with, and the box of crackers found dumped under the co-pilots seat have been removed, dusted off and who knows, may be useful if I get peckish!!

SWSucceed
    Departing OIZJ for OPKC ...

SWSucceed
    Landed OPKC ...

SWSucceed
    Departing OPKC ... Headed for Agra AB (VIAG) hoping to keep the English End Up lmao!!

SWSucceed
    Crashed about 15 or so miles from the runway at about 4,000ft I think ... it happened so quick I can hardly recall, I was on a simple 1000ft/min descent but I hit a freak shear wind that rolled the DC right over and into a nosedive, I was unable to get the auto-pitch controller off line as the cockpit was rolling and we stacked into the ground.

This is a second crash and a 3 hours penalty on top of the other 2 hours so the continuation of this is pointless. I would not have survived the landing anyway so that's me done. I won't have time to run from the start again I don't think in a second entry.

Thank Sim Outhouse, here's to the RTW 2010!!

Best of luck to all the rest of you out there

SOH-CM-2016
    Bad luck again Stuart. Sorry to see you pull out, we were just getting into a bit of a race between you and I... I think I was about half an hour behind you landing in Karachi (it seems everyone is landing in Karachi today - maybe there's a party...)

I still have the Cessna C414A parked up at Mildenhall, and team slots open for willing pilots, so perhaps you can help me get that to Oz? After all, there's still a month to go in this event.
    Win7 x64 | MSI X79A-GD65 | Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz | 16GB DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

SWSucceed
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookster67 View Post
    Bad luck again Stuart. Sorry to see you pull out, we were just getting into a bit of a race between you and I... I think I was about half an hour behind you landing in Karachi (it seems everyone is landing in Karachi today - maybe there's a party...)

I still have the Cessna C414A parked up at Mildenhall, and team slots open for willing pilots, so perhaps you can help me get that to Oz? After all, there's still a month to go in this event.
    I would imagine that a party in Karachi would mean some stunning food ... Tom was with me last night and got his controls off and had a terrible trouble landing, hearing him going "ooohh" "aaahhh" s@&!!%&* was mad but he got down lol!

I need to fly some 50 hours by end November and I get time to do around 10 maybe per week with family and bowling committments so would need time off work which is not possible until Christmas now so another solo is not possible.

The team flight is always a possibility - I will try and get Tom and Roger on-board as well. I'll at least try to get it off the ground. Would you be averse to me asking committee for a name change on the team considering no one else has actually made any committment to it thus far?

Best of luck on the solo!!

SWSucceed
    Now flying under the name of Teams AspireFSX.com current members SWSucceed and Spookster67 we have repaired the DC-3 albeit now made of 8 different donor craft and have departed OPKC Karachi Airport headed to to VIAG Airforce Base ... Eamonn there are I believe 3 hours to add as the crash penalty??

Departin OPKC Karachi Airport ...

SWSucceed
    OK ... took the DC-3 up and she climbed and climbed and climbed ... trouble is I could not stop no matter what I tried ... had so much negative trim it was crazy and unflyable.

Crashed the program and restarted, exactly the same thing, reboot and blahhhh just this weird nonsense. This race is simply not going to happen for me this year so that is it FINALLY for me, I am getting to frustrated at the problems.

Check out the pitch reference in the pic ... something has gone screwy with my DC-3 model maybe which could explain these weird taxi crases and the roll over on take-off a few days back ... and then perhaps why the DC rolled rightover in that wind shear when Tom's did not ...

SOH-CM-2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SWSucceed View Post
    Check out the pitch reference in the pic ... something has gone screwy with my DC-3 model maybe which could explain these weird taxi crases and the roll over on take-off a few days back ... and then perhaps why the DC rolled rightover in that wind shear when Tom's did not ...
    Looks like some sort of FSX config glitch has got you again, bad luck. Or maybe our friends in Karachi just didn't fix her quite right... :isadizzy:

Now we're a team entry, let me join in and see whether I can tame it.

OPKC to VIJO.

SOH-CM-2016
    Down safely at VIJO.

Wow, the DC-3 can get thrown around in the turbulence, that got a bit exciting at times! Having only 2 gallons of fuel left at the end was also slightly concerning, no chance for a go-around... Need to plan better next time.

SWSucceed
    Well done ... catches you quick at times she does ... glad to say that one of our Aspire members has experienced the DC-3 roll over onto back on take-off that I have had during this race, but keep that in mind when you're rolling ... good luck with the finish, shout out if you think you need a bit of help as I'd be OK to make a trip or two to help you out.

SOH-CM-2016
    Moving the DC-3 along. Pre-dawn departure, as we may get several flights in today.

VIJO - VIAL

SOH-CM-2016
    Down at Allahabad, but it nosed over and crashed when I applied too much brake.

I guess I should have aborted the flight when I realised I had a problem with my flight yoke (it wasn't connected to FSX at all) but I reckoned I could land the DC3 using just the Sperry autopilot. I went for runway 06, which was fine, and I got her down no problem. However, I'd used up a lot of runway by being very careful with the touchdown using autopilot control, and so I had to stand on the brakes. Ooops!

This DC3 is determined not to make it to Melbourne. We'll see...

So, "crash landing", more penalties, and we continue.

SOH-CM-2016
    Re-fueled, nose cone repaired, and we're heading for Burma.

VIAL - VYSW

SOH-CM-2016
    Flight aborted - pilot not paying attention, and co-pilot not doing his job properly! Broke the 12,000' and 15,000' hard ceiling. :isadizzy:

Re-starting, without penalty, VIAL - VYSW.

SOH-CM-2016
    No mistakes this time, a comfortable flight, and a nice landing at Sittwe.

SOH-CM-2016
    Splash and dash with the fuel, and we're off again. This time to Rangoon, VYYY.

Members who have read this thread: 0