Race Summary
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Race Summary

Race Summary

Hey Guys,

I have put together a summary for everyone to view. This shows how many legs completed, flight times, distance, average speed.

This is "NOT OFFICIAL" so please don't treat it as such. I had a few minutes so threw something together.

You can find it at the link below.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...oendtZ0E&hl=en

Lemme know what you think. I have another spreadsheet i am keeping track of the race with that generates this summary.

Thanks,

Wow!!

Eamonn,

This is fabulous.

Really generous of you to put the time and effort into it for us.

Thanks!
    salt_air

Thanks Eamonn. Making this one a sticky.

Moses

SOH-CM-2016
    Coincidentally, I was also thinking this morning that we needed a Google spreadsheet to keep the records - nice work Eamonn!

I thought about comparing the times people were taking to get to the compulsory airports (since those are the only common points on everyones' routes, in theory). Then at each compulsory airport, compare their time against an approximate "handicap time" to that point, based on their handicap speed and the distance to the airport.

Here's my spreadsheet:

LM2009 Progress Record

I had put in a couple of example pilots to check it was working, but now I see that Rob O has already got to Baghdad , so I've put his real numbers in too.

See what you think....
    Martin (FS RTW Race pilot 2009-19)
    Win7 x64 | MSI X79A-GD65 | Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz | 16GB DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

Martin and Eamonn,

This is all terrific. Martin's additional idea of putting each pilot in the context of the expected "handicap time" is really attractive as well.

Can we put these two together?

In addition, might it be possible to figure out a way to make this information easily accessible to those who don't "Google"? (Perhaps occasional updates posted in text format or in an attached zipped spreadsheet?)

Mike
    -Mike

Absolutely.. I am going to tweak mine tonight and repost it. But yeah, we can absolutely make it visible to people who do not "google".. I have it set for "People can view this item without signing in" but i guess that is not working out too good.

I'll work on it tonight and you can all let me know what you think. I was already in the process of adapting the same idea as Martin had.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by epwatson View Post
    Absolutely.. I am going to tweak mine tonight and repost it. But yeah, we can absolutely make it visible to people who do not "google".. I have it set for "People can view this item without signing in" but i guess that is not working out too good.

Thanks,
    You should have my email back Eamonn, and it looks like the fix has worked. G no longer wants a log-in (for now).
    I'll try to send to a copy of an earlier excel sheet we used for your reference

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Looks good to me.

I did not log in and got to the page just fine.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Okay, I have updated the spreadsheet.. Go check it out.. unfortunately the time to compulsory stops is not working as google docs doesn't recognize the function SUMIFS

Thanks,

Hi Eamonn,

I noticed that the sheet shows I've completed 2 legs and over 2000 miles, but I'm flying the second leg now. Perhaps someone else's flight is in there for mine?
    Vicious - Team Avsim

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
    Hi Eamonn,

I noticed that the sheet shows I've completed 2 legs and over 2000 miles, but I'm flying the second leg now. Perhaps someone else's flight is in there for mine?
    Nice catch.. I went over all the posts twice and accidentally entered yours twice.. Prolly cause i'm tired..

Thanks

Eamonn, I've passed it on to the committee, but it looks good at my end.
    Didn't expect to be working, huh?

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

SOH-CM-2016
    I've also updated my spreadsheet as of this morning, at which stage there were three pilots through Baghdad. I'm using Duenna Baton Time rather than Flight Time, but the differences is only a handful of seconds.

LM2009 Progress Record

In comparison to approximate handicap time to Baghdad:

Vicious, GeeBee R6 QED, -0:21:17 (21 mins ahead of handicap time)
    Rob O, de Havilland DH.88 Comet, 00:46:55
    Reggiefields, Savoia Marchetti SM.79, 01:36:30

Others that have reached Baghdad in the last 8 hours will be updated later today. :ernae:

Now, perhaps I should focus on getting the panel finished in my P6 Mew Gull, so that I too can start....
    Win7 x64 | MSI X79A-GD65 | Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz | 16GB DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

Martin,

How are you calculating the handicap?

I am calculating an ongoing handicap based on how many miles they have already flown based on the following formula.

Distance Flown / Handicap speed = Handicap time over current distance

Thanks.

I'm curious about the 1 hour penalty for Team melrose, I didn't see a crash in their Duenna logs, whats the penalty for ?
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

SOH-CM-2016
    Quote Originally Posted by epwatson View Post
    Martin,

How are you calculating the handicap?

I am calculating an ongoing handicap based on how many miles they have already flown based on the following formula.

Distance Flown / Handicap speed = Handicap time over current distance

Thanks.
    Hi Eamonn,

My method takes no account of how far a pilot has flown already, but instead just makes an assumption about how long it should take to get to each intermediate mandatory airport, if you went at exactly your handicap speed.

Here are the steps:

1. The total assumed distance is 10100nm (that's given in the Rules).
    2. The distance to each mandatory intermediate airport, according to Great Circle Mapper, is shown here: Race Route (mandatory stops only)
    3. Since the Great Circle total is 9832nm, not 10100nm, I then need to pro-rata adjust each intermediate airport hop distance accordingly. So for example I assume distance to Baghdad = 10100 x 2199 / 9832 = 2259nm.
    4. Now, for each pilot, Handicap time to Baghdad = 2259 / Handicap speed.
    5. As each pilot passes Baghdad, I then insert their actual time which is the cumulative Baton time for all their hops to that point (2 or more flights), plus any penalties.
    6. The "Comparison to Handicap Time" is the net of their actual time and their handicap time, with negative numbers meaning the pilot is ahead of handicap. That's the same principal as will be used at the end of the race to determine handicap time and rankings, I think.

Hope that all makes sense...

If you'd like to PM me your email address I'd be happy to add you as an editor, so that you could grab my spreadsheet and add it / link it to yours.

Regards,
    Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by MaddogK View Post
    I'm curious about the 1 hour penalty for Team melrose, I didn't see a crash in their Duenna logs, whats the penalty for ?
    According to what i have, Team Melrose last landed in LFMD which I don't believe is an approved airport for Golden Age. My spreadsheet autoflagged it, if they landed elsewhere but Duenna reported LFMD I can make the changes right away.

We relaxed the rules a bit for Team Melrose.

• Pilots should limit their legs to manageable lengths. There is no need to restrict landings to the official "prepared airports" though those might serve as a good guideline. Short legs, no more than two or three hours, are better for everyone concerned.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...50&postcount=2

I manually removed the penalty for Team Melrose. Also, I have updated my spreadsheet to the latest flights as of right now that have landed..

Good stuff, Eamonn. Thanks for taking the time to do this!
    :ernae:
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

SOH-CM-2016
    Spectators at Baghdad report that a couple more aircraft came in yesterday, making 6 in total (as far as they can tell).

Unofficial estimation of progress against handicap times for the pilots through there is:

Code:
    -0:21:23 Vicious        Golden Age    GeeBee R-6 QED
    -0:07:21 Team Viagara   GA            Aerostar Super 700
    00:17:51 BuzzBee        Golden Age    Spartan Executive
    00:18:34 Willy          GA            Cessna 337H 
    00:46:48 Rob O          Golden Age    de Havilland DH.88 Comet
    01:36:27 Rfields        Golden Age    Savoia Marchetti SM.79

SWSucceed
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    We relaxed the rules a bit for Team Melrose.

• Pilots should limit their legs to manageable lengths. There is no need to restrict landings to the official "prepared airports" though those might serve as a good guideline. Short legs, no more than two or three hours, are better for everyone concerned.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...50&postcount=2
    Curious over the relaxing of the rules having just picked up 1 hour penalty for unprepared landing due to false FSX information on the DC3 range leading into a glided land but a bounce up created a stall - I was doing rather well on that as it was also dark

So 2 hours in total penalties after only 2 and a bit hours in the air!

What of others landing at un-prepared airports or is there a specific criteria that has been adopted?

The "relaxation" is only applied to Team Melrose which is essentially a 10,000 nm beta-test for the Puss Moth as prepped for mr. melrose in the original r/l race and so wonderfully crafted by Milton's team.
    Dual purpose... to let as many people fly her without a lot of pressure ( and no prizes) and to bang it around as much as possible in the hands of a variety of volunteers.

For the rest of us daring aviators, all the listed penalties apply according to the class we're running in. The Golden Age group is the most onerous that way with limited airports, refuelling, etc.

Rob

Members who have read this thread: 0