Team United - Golden Age - Boeing 247D - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Team United - Golden Age - Boeing 247D

Nothing like 7000 foot hills to wake you up when motoring along at 5000 feet! Gotta get me one of those drift meter/beer dispensers...
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Great Recovery!!

Well Ol' Buddy,

You got your payback for the first trip. Excellent stats for this trip,,,,the "Ol' Motorcycle Racer" came out for this leg.

Ya hung in there and smashed all of the previous Avg/GS's at 168.5. That's the fastest trip yet and the bonus is it was also the longest.

Very impressive Charles,,,,, Well Done!.....:ernae:

Go Team!!
    salt_air

Couldn't have done it better myself, Charles! Well done.

Great stuff, that!
    -Mike

Good Job Charles!!!

Thats alotta flying...
    Remember: It's break ground, and fly into the wind..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by EdGeneer View Post
    Good Job Charles!!!

Thats alotta flying...
    Ed G;
    It's all your "fault"!! After we did the "Falls to Falls Maple Run", you "got me hooked" on Radio Range navigation (NDB's are sorta like RR but without the fancy tower arrays and the left/right tones).
    When the MacRobetson was announced, I was going to run solo and had planned to do the distance in eight "legs".. that is, until I did a couple of practice legs.. My Dad was an Army Air Corps/Air Force pilot during WWII & Korea, he ferried B-29's to Guam.. I don't care what auto-pilot you have, those were loooong flights!! But he was in his mid-twenties.. and I'm not!
    I'm glad I did this leg.. really glad it turned out so well (after my first flight/fiassco, I was really worried I'd end up over Saudi Arabia, out of gas and no place to land. I was sweating bullets, tho.. Still haven't got this figuring "speed/distance/time" thing "down", yet (Yes, Salt, I've been trying to study the E6B stuff.. I never was any good in "foreign languages" in school!:isadizzy.. The up-side is, using a hand-made chart, I can figure a "rough time" to cover a certain distance.. my times are a bit longer, so I come in "under time".. I believe my computations, tho based on IAS tend to work on actual Ground Speed..
    Thanks to all for the kind words about my flight.. To be honest, it was totally "Beginner's Luck".. Skill had nothing to do with it..
    Charles

Did he say E6-B's?

Next time I see you on a long flight,,,,,and,,,,on TS, I'll get on and fly along with ya. You can take your feet down from the proped up position and we can do some E6-B navigatin'.

Radio Navigation has evolved over the years and will continue to do so, but the ol' E6-B has been around in pretty much the same configuration since it's onset and is still a mainstay in pilots flightbags as well as required for even the lowest level of any licensing.
    salt_air

Charles,
    excellent flying there!
    Hitting a radio beacon from 400 nm out is neat. Makes my hands sweaty just thinking about that.

Go, team, go!

Quote Originally Posted by salt_air View Post
    Next time I see you on a long flight,,,,,and,,,,on TS, I'll get on and fly along with ya. You can take your feet down from the proped up position and we can do some E6-B navigatin'.

Radio Navigation has evolved over the years and will continue to do so, but the ol' E6-B has been around in pretty much the same configuration since it's onset and is still a mainstay in pilots flightbags as well as required for even the lowest level of any licensing.
    Salt;
    Yeah, I figured, on that long stretch from that last NDB to Baghdad, I'd have time to see if you were on TS.. I did a quick "run out to the mailbox" and back and a couple of other "must do" chores, and the next thing I know, my AFD Radio came alive & the RFI Needle swung to "12 o'clock" (actually, it swung to 2 o'clock, I had to "turn into" the NDB).. I had "just enough" time to lose some altitude and airspeed (although not enough.. was still at 100Kts when the wheels touched down)..
    I really thought I would be "kicked back", feet-up, beer in hand (you know, Red's "Flight Position"), but such was not the case..
    I do wish I could find my Dad's E6B (I have not seen it in decades) and a smaller "Whiz-Wheel" he had.. Using them in these, or any, flights, would be "Way Cool"..
    I was thinking ORBS-VIAG.. an estimated twelve hour, 2005nm flight.. Then I woke-up, screaming!
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by teson1 View Post
    Charles,
    excellent flying there!
    Hitting a radio beacon from 400 nm out is neat. Makes my hands sweaty just thinking about that.

Go, team, go!
    Thanks.. It gives me the shakes to think about it now.. Like I said, pure beginner's luck.. I shot an arrow thru a keyhole.. I don't think I'll be trying anything like that, again..
    I'm looking at the next possible leg.. It has one area that has about 375nm of "dead air".. I'm thinking "zig-zagging" to different NDB's instead of trying a "straight shot".. Maybe going to Karachi (OPKC) instead..
    I don't think I can capture that lightening bolt in a bottle a second time..
    Charles

Leg #7 off to Allahabad

Ready to depart ORBS Baghdad for VIAL Allahabad.
    Racing for Team United in the Boeing 247D.
    Wake me up in ten-twelve hours
    Charles

Charles....I hope this reaches you in time, but you can't go straight from Baghdad to Allahabad!

From the Rules:

Additional stops required. Until reaching Darwin, pilots must make at least one landing at an intermediate airport between each pair of compulsory checkpoints. This interme-diate airport must be located at least 200 nm from the compulsory airports. The Darwin-Charleville (YPDN-YBCV) and Charleville-Melbourne (YBCV-YMEN) segments may be flown in one flight.

You need to stop at one of the following airports.

Bushehr, Persia. [OIBB]

Jask, Persia. [OIZJ]

Gwadar, Sultanate of Oman (now Pakistan) [OPGD]

Karachi, India (Britain) (now Pakistan). Jinnah Intl [OPKC]

Jodhpur, India (Britain). [VIJO]

Agra, India (Britain). [VIAG]

Sorry if we didn't make this clear beforehand.

Leg #7 Aborted Flight to Allahabad

Abort Leg due to no control over my plane.. I'm holding a heading of 094, plane swings to 060.. I want to climb, it noses down.. Probably the settings got "lost" again..

Red;
    Thanks for the info (had I not had to abort, I would not have seen your post).. I guess I misunderstood about the 200mile limit (now I remember reading about the intermediate stop.. forgot, I guess!).. I was simply going to fly from one "Compulsory Checkpoint" to another.. Best laid plans.. Maybe my plane was telling me something..
    Back to the drawing board..
    Do I need to post the Aborted Duenna?
    Charles

Leg #7 off to Agra (VIAG)

Ready to try this flight again...
    Departing ORBS Baghdad for VIAG Agra, India
    Racing for Team United in the Boeing 247D.
    Charles

Charles,

We can't tell from your post just what happened over Iraq. It sounds as though there were some sort of controller issue...or something else. Unless we hear otherwise, we'll put it down as a "computer glitch," note the event, and then ignore it for Race scoring.
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by DHC120
    Ed G;
    It's all your "fault"!! After we did the "Falls to Falls Maple Run", you "got me hooked" on Radio Range navigation (NDB's are sorta like RR but without the fancy tower arrays and the left/right tones).
    Austin is the one that got me hooked on radio range flying and so much that i bought a jeppesen e6b for the race... love it, that thing does everything...

I blame Austin hahahahaha:isadizzy:

Remember: It's break ground, and fly into the wind..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leg #7 to Agra (VIAG)... Crashed

The ORBS-VIAG flight was the flight from hell.. The map I used (FS Nav) shows hills/mountains to 10,000 in areas along the route.. the reality is, these "10,000'" foot mountains are over 13,000' tall AND often shrouded in thick clouds!.
    Also, due to my own inexperience, this flight did not start-off well.. in fact, I "started" the flight three times.. all with the Duenna OFF! Wouldn't have been so bad if I noticed it on take-off, or shortly there after.. No, I had to fly for thirty minutes to an hour before I noticed this rather important fact!
    I finally took off, at leasty a hour later than planned, with the Duenna on and headed to a correct airport..
    I was at "The Point of No Return", a bit over nine hundred nautical miles into the nearly 1800nm flight, when I realized I was not going to make the primary airport (VIAG) before dark.. At a Town/Air Port/NDB called Quetta, I opted to divert Jodhpur (VIJO), a prepared refueling station.. it was some two hunded NM closer than VIAG. This decision was made at 1540 hrs, local (India) time. The sun was setting and by 1620 hrs, I was in total "black-out" conditions.
    I got on TeamSpeak and saw "Danderous Dave" and "SrGalahad" (Rob), explained my problem (of being unable to find the airport in the dark) and was assisted with "GCA" like instructions.. The airport was so difficult to see that I was halfway down the runway, at about 1000'AMSL (400' AGL) before I recognized the runway lights.. I made two "Go Arounds", trying to get "lined up" with the very faint lights. When I made the commitment to land, I was "wide left" of the runway and my left wing caught a light standard, resulting in my crashing ON the airfield..
    At that point, I was so exhausted, mentally and physically.. I thanked Rob & Dave for their help, shut-down the flight sim and fell asleep in my recliner.. (that's why I am so late in posting this)..
    Herewith are the Duenna Files.
    I do not know what the protocol is.. Rob (or Dave) thought the options were to Refly the route or "take the flight" but with a one hour penalty for crashing (first crash, second crashes rate a three hour penalty).
    Given the length of the flight, I opt for the penalty.
    Please advise if this is acceptable or not.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by MM View Post
    Charles,

We can't tell from your post just what happened over Iraq. It sounds as though there were some sort of controller issue...or something else. Unless we hear otherwise, we'll put it down as a "computer glitch," note the event, and then ignore it for Race scoring.
    MM;
    I wrote a reply, but I guess I didn't send it properly..
    I began a flight from ORBS Baghdad to VIAL Allahabad. The Duenna was running. I was able to take off and made a ninety degree turn, but after that, I could not control nor maintain the direction of the aircraft. I thought I hit "Abort" on the Duenna, but I did not.. I simply "Xed" out FS9. When I came back to the forum to post about my incident, I read and heeded Red-Green's warning and, after correcting the "Sensitivities" settings in FS9, I selected the proper "Destination" airport of Agra (VIAG), India. I have posted a report and the Duenna files for that flight.
    I can, if requested, post the Duenna for the "discontinued" flight. Please advise.
    Charles

Charles,

• No need to post anything more on the aborted flight.
    • Dave and Rob are correct about the leg to Jodhpur (VIJO). You can either re-fly the leg with a one hour crash penalty or accept a "crash-on-landing" that completes your leg at VIJO with a one hour crash penalty. (The one hour penalty is associated with the team's first crash.) Clearly, given the dramatic events, the best option is to accept the crash-on-landing option.
    • Great description of a challenging and exciting leg. Your writing has captured the spirit of the London-Melbourne event. Kudos.
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MM View Post
    Charles,

• Great description of a challenging and exciting leg. Your writing has captured the spirit of the London-Melbourne event. Kudos.
    Mike;
    I can honestly say: My writing is a LOT better than my flying
    Thanks.
    Charles.
    Charles

Let's Go!!

Okay,,,,,,time for a little "Geritol" over here it seems.......

Let's take "Big Bird" over to Allahabad and see how how well the repairs were done.....

salt_air flying for Team United in the 247D VIJO-VIAL to pick up the second Checkpoint enroute to Melbourne.

Tally Ho!

Note: Had to restart flight due to having the wrong aircraft,,,,,Hey!,,,it's dark out here...
    salt_air

Quote Originally Posted by salt_air View Post
    Okay,,,,,,time for a little "Geritol" over here it seems.......

Note: Had to restart flight due to having the wrong aircraft,,,,,Hey!,,,it's dark out here...
    Hmmmm... man comes home from party a bit under the influence, quietly climbs the stairs, tiptoes into the bedroom, undresses and slips gently into bed... jumps up, screaming: "Who are you and what did you do with my wife??!!!!" :isadizzy:

"Geritol, you say?? Just blow steadily into this tube, sir, and keep blowing until I tell you to stop."

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Clean and green, but pretty mean

Team United is sitting in Allahabad (VIAL) safe and sound. Local time 07:33.......

Pitch dark as I left Jodhpur AB,,,,watched a nice sunrise as the cloud cover broke then the sim paused to load scenery and it was dark again,,,Time Zone ?

Flew the rest of the trip between 7500' and 9500' to maximize a light tailwind (less than 10kts) for the majority of the trip.

Gambled and won on taking an approach for RWY 12 as the winds at my back died out altogether at around 2000'.

Nice big fat building right in approach path, but with the clouds clearing during descent (7500') no trouble did I see. Gonna start changing thinking about touchdown from hitting the numbers dead center to having to make a second flare 100' or so after the numbers. These geezer birds have very low stall speeds and a mile of runway is plenty to set down a third of the way up or so and get stopped. That should take the MSFS trees and buildings at the threshold of the runway phenomenon out of play.

Caught a second or so of overspeed as this plane is very sensitive to 160 kts indicated,,,,,that's it or you're in trouble. No "Barber's Pole" on the airspeed gauge, but overspeed warnings during duenna recorded flights tend to ingrain certain conditions in your mind.

Next...........
    salt_air

Salt-Air;
    Sounds like the "Shade-Trees at Jodhpur patched up the 247D okay.. I was a bit concerned when I saw the tools they were going to use to repair the left wing.. A carpenters hammer, a "Stilston" wrench and a ten pound sledge..
    The only "upside" to my crash was the wing tanks had two or three gallons of fuel in each.. Had the wing tanks been more full, I might have been a "fireball", instead. (that would have lit-up that airport!!)
    Glad you had a good flight..
    Charles.
    Charles

Thanks!

Thanks Buddy-Ro,

It's amazing just how far a hand full of "Jackson's" will go in a third world environment.... I had no trouble at all gettin' that crowd in gear.....

Anyway the ol' Gal is ready to rock whenever you or Red are ready to go.

This is the second required checkpoint. Singapore is next, we can either take a long hump to say Alor Setar (WMKA) and then to Singapore (WSSL), or take a short flight now, say out to the coast to Kolkata (VECC) or chop it up more half and half like down to Rangoon (VYYY) or Bangkok (VTDB).

The straighter the better at this point. Avoid Calcutta, it's to far off line. Most of the long flights at this point will be over water no need to shy away.

I'll check back tomorrow after you guys have a chance to fly some.

Good Luck!
    salt_air

Members who have read this thread: 0