MacRobertson London to Melbourne Entry thread - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MacRobertson London to Melbourne Entry thread

Right now I'm planning on the SM.79 for the classic. But I've had some testing issues, might drop back to the Dh-88.

We will see on takeoff which makes the starting line.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Reggie Fields, KADS, Addison, Texas, USA

Word....

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26 View Post
    That would be best

My server can not handle a large load.

Its good for an afternoon of flights with 4 or 5 people after that it gets over loaded.

The DSL just can not handle the load.

See what you can do to set it up salt_air
    It's a done deal Dave,,,,,say that three times real fast,,,,

68.47.50.131:8768 ....not the default port.

Not expecting too much traffic,,,,I've set up a MacRobertson Race channel.

If anyone see's the need for any other adjustments like a password or a sub-channel or another channel altogether then just shoot me a PM.
    salt_air

Trying a test connection but the server will not accept it.

Is there a password?

EDIT: Never mind I found if you put in a log in name, it expects a password. No need for a log in name
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Shouldnt need a password, make sure to use the port, and select anonymous login...
    Remember: It's break ground, and fly into the wind..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SWSucceed
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookster67 View Post
    Hi Stuart,

In the aircraft performance thread I've posted that we need to get the C441 tested. It may be too fast (over 270 knots TAS). If so, we'll have to fly something else - maybe another Goose adventure?! The Goose is an eligible Golden Age aircraft...

Regards, Martin.
    Thanks Just fly it slower lol! Look forward to a TS chat soon about it, Roger and Andrew are showing interest tonite when we met but we held off talking it over without you, Mr Guru

I am entering the Golden Age Class flying the Lockheed Model 14, Super Electra "NC17395".

Designed to compete with the Douglas DC-2, the Model 14 introduced a number of significant features but in the end could not operate as economically as the Douglas airliners. The type quickly disappeared from the scene in the postwar years but it's legacy lived on with the more successful Hudson, Lodestar, Ventura and Harpoon.

As time permits I will also be helping out with "Team Melrose".

Glad to see virtual Lockheed has come through for you Moses!

Good Luck

A great aircraft Moses, and a great pilot too.

You should fare well.

Best,
    salt_air

Quote Originally Posted by RedGreen View Post
    I would like to announce the entry of Team United into the 2009 MacRobertson Race in the Golden Age Category. Team United shall consist of several members from the Flightsim.com Multi-Player Adventures group.

Our current (tenative and subject to change) roster consists of:

1) Myself
    2) DHC120 Charles
    3) EdGeneer

Our airplane will be the Boeing 247D in the United Airlines "City of Oakland" paint scheme.

Our compliments to the Race Committee for taking the time and effort to put this together!
    MacRobertson Event/SOH Officials;
    Just to make it an "official" entry into the "Golden Era" segment, I will be flying with the Flight Sim MultiPlayer Adventures (FSMPA) "Team United" (or is that "Team Ignited"?)
    It is my understanding, and is subject to change, that, at this moment in time, "Team United" consists of;
    (1) Red-Green.
    (2) DHC120-Charles.
    (Volunteer Pilots Wanted.. being sane and/or sober is an option!)
    Charles.

General Aviation entry - Cheyenne IA

In addition to my entry in the Golden Age Classic I'm entering my DA Cheyenne IA in the General Aviation class. I'd also like to thank the committee for updating the speed tests and Handicap System!

Piper Ho!

NC17395
    Just curious about the Super Electra. Is that the AlphaSim model or is that the SOH CFS2 (Paul Straney (pstrany)/Dave Carroll FS2002) aircraft? Also could not locate Fliger747's flight dynamics update listed in the 17 October spreadsheet for the Model 14.

Thanks,
    Wish I was coming along, good luck to all!
    Jack
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!"

EasyEd's Entries

Hey All,

Well I'll go ahead and enter both races with the hope of getting at least one to the finish line!

My entry for the Traditional race is the ME-108 - call sign - D-EMET I have to fly this old plane.

My entry for the modern race is the Flight1 PC-12 - an absolute favorite of mine.

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Jack- This is the Paul Straney model. Fliger747 did an updated FM for it that was never uploaded. If you or anyone else would like to try it out, please PM me. Fliger said it was okay to release it.

NC17395
    Hi Moses, thanks for your reply! I will get a PM sent over.

I was watching the entry thread (this thread) pretty much like I think the public would watch the newspapers 75 years ago to see who'd be taking up the challenge and the marvels of aviation they'd be flying.

And I was also looking at the 17 October spreadsheet -- the Super Electra is right alongside the Spartan for the race distance reference time.

The Golden Age Aircraft spreadsheet makes for some interesting history comparing all the aircraft of the era. We get a lot of grief about our flight simulator "game" but I don't know of a lot of other computer games that teach history this way. Technology (a lot different then than now), Social and Cultural history, Geography -- we sure have a different idea about that now than people did then.

Navigation, fuel planning, aircraft performance, weather, I'm not entirely getting the sense of a "game" here. LOL - navigation - one word sure covers a pretty big area of knowledge. There's geography, there's the use of charts and course plotting, there's understanding the capabilities of radio navigation of the era. There's wind drift and weather (again) -- how ever did they measure and report weather in the 1930s? Or how about using a sextant ("...excuse me, did you say octant, or was that a quadrant, or an astrolabe?") ;-)

In the context of simulation and computer modeling we learn a lot about what goes into a performance model for aircraft in the race. The .air file, the .cfg file, critical altitude, horsepower, propeller efficiency, lift scalar. Sounds a lot like computer science to me, I think they do that for like spaceships and stuff -- at least I've heard they do. :-)

Just for a chance to fly to the far-end of the world.

So the Model 14 caught my attention and I did some searches on SOH and Flightsim to see what I could find. I admit the Howard 500 is a favorite, I even thought about flying it in the race as a non-competing GA entry. The Super Electra would look good and very historic next to it in the hangar.

Thank you to all the organizers and good luck to all the racers!
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!"

SOH-CM-2016

Spookster67 - Golden Age - Percival P6 Mew Gull

Most of these Golden Age aircraft are new to me, so I've test flown a few different ones. When I downloaded the Percival P6 Mew Gull and read the excellent documentation that comes with it about Alex Henshaw's record runs to and from Cape Town I was inspired. He also won the 1938 Kings Cup with it. So, although it's tricky to fly, and quite an old model, that's my choice for the Golden Age category.

More info about the Cape Records flights in the P6 Mew Gull here:
    http://users.iafrica.com/l/le/leehal...ht_details.htm
    Martin (FS RTW Race pilot 2009-19)
    Win7 x64 | MSI X79A-GD65 | Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz | 16GB DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

This is my official entry for the "Golden Age Class".

I have decided to fly the default Lockheed Vega "Lituanica II" as a team entry with Salt Air, (with his blessing - guess he needs to change his solo entry). In the better late than never class, I just could not resign myself to the sidelines with this cool of a group any longer. Wishing everyone a good run... and fun.

N350BC_Doug

I officially enter the fray in a Fairey Fox Mk 3, the update for my Fox will be available tomorrow morning.
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

Down For The Count

Of all things my computer died on Sat. A virus knocked out my C drive. At this point I don't know when I can be back in action.

So best of luck to you all. I will be cheering from the sideline.

Moses

Oh No!

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Of all things my computer died on Sat. A virus knocked out my C drive. At this point I don't know when I can be back in action.

Moses
    Terrible news Moses....Good Luck!

Regards,
    salt_air

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03

Moses
    Ouch!!! That's terrible!!! wow, that timing sux.... Very sorry to hear that... You cant get something back up and flyin in a few days and still participate???? If not, I understand....

I just put together my fancy machine, finally, something with some real horsepower... I am thinking of doing some of the final legs on it, but for now, I am fortunate enough to have fs9 run well on my laptop and will be doing most of the race on that. I dont have any reservations about my new machine, she seems really stable, more so than other systems i have put together, but i literally built it 2 days ago, and although she flies like an eagle, i know my laptop is stable, and ofcourse my race dc3 is installed on it, etc... so I may switch things down the line to the new machine, but for now, its on the laptop...

Moses, I hope something presents itself for you to get an fs stable and comfortable for you to join back in....
    Remember: It's break ground, and fly into the wind..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I enter the race both in Modern Class (Default Beechcraft Baron) and in Golden Age Class (still thinking about the aircraft).
    If time permits will have a non-comprtition entry by flying the whole course in default Robinson R22 helicopter (which finished last in Commemoration London-Sydney event of 2001 flown in modern aircraft) -P.S that's not a mockery - my wife just loves rotorcraft=)))

Seems to me that a helicopter would be modern GA. Just thinking out loud......

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Seems to me that a helicopter would be modern GA. Just thinking out loud......
    Question Willy how would the Handicap system work

Dang man you do that and...

I will be speechless.

Tell the Mrs. Haitun I said Hello.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Colonial
    Squadra Italia (Colonial and ChrisTrott)

registering for Golden Age Class with a Savoia-Marchetti SM.81 called "Copertino", registered I-VORY

Plane on loan from the Regia Aeronautica Italiana, costs for fuel sponsored by Signor Tommaso Gibsoni of CalClassic.

Thanks fellas. At least I have net access and email back up now. I'm hoping to get a bare bones FS install up and going by the weekend. Best news of all is that the Super Electra was able to be salvaged from the dead drive. Phew!

Members who have read this thread: 0