Jane's WW2 Fighters. Anyone still fly it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jane's WW2 Fighters. Anyone still fly it?

Jane's WW2 Fighters. Anyone still fly it?

I had this sim installed years ago, and found it in a box this afternoon.

I installed it on my father in laws system, and still amazed at the level of detail this sim has. Considering it was released in 1998, it is really nice! Fun too!

I cannot anything on this, forum wise. Although it did recognize my father in law's joystick (Logitech Force Feedback 3D Pro) it was not listed on the options menu.

Likewise, I could not see any way to assign buttons to various functions at all.

The only way I could load the sim, was to tell XP to run it as Windows 98 compatibility. It loaded with zero difficulties, BUT, the scenery horizon (for lack of better description) oftimes has a line dividing it from lower half of screen. No other way to say that, but perhaps I can take a screenshot to show what I mean.

But the sim is a lot of fun. Besides CFS2, now he has a choice, and enjoying them both. I like the big band music in the background.

If anyone still flies this, and has some tips and addon files, please contact me!

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/ja...262/1365879291

Thanks.

Navy Chief

I have this but not installed anymore. This was my first or second sim. F/A-18 was the other one. Back when it first came out there were many sites and I downloaded some stuff. If I can find what I have I'll let you know what it is and can send it to you. I'm pretty sure I don't have alot as compared to the CFS series but if you have nothing it will be more then you have now. I'll check tomorrow and will PM you with the results.

I've always thought Janes WW-II Fighters was ahead of it's time. I still have the CD, but it hasn't been installed in some time. The cloud effects as you passed through the cloud deck, they captured the sensation of speed as the cloud "bits" went past the canopy really really fast. The "head bobbing" effect we now see in FSX, Janes had it. Virtual cockpits. And I liked the musical score as you flew your mission across the frozen landscape. Oh yeah, and all the animals you can see in FSX? Yep, Janes's WW-II Fighters had em. Horses, foxes, cows. It was a fun sim.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

navychief,

Try here:

http://www.ww2fighters.org/

Still a few guys dedicated to this sim. Any mods for the game can be found there.

I really enjoyed WW II Fighters. I understand that it doesn't work with Windows XP, so I haven't tried it on my current computer. Anyone know if that's true?
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

South Chesterfield Virginia, United States
    Blog Entries
    Guys, I still fly it, and have almost every mod ever released for it...... It will work with XP, and the guys at http://www.ww2fighters.org/ are the best. Not as many pilots there as back in the day, but the aces and experten are still there. It was my first flight/combat sim, and these fine folks helped me to pick a rig, and to make WW2F fly like a dream on it with XP. Give them a shout over there... I think you will see a bunch of familiar folks when you get to the forums... Long Live WW2F, and ww2fighters.org..:ernae::ernae:

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdflieger View Post
    I really enjoyed WW II Fighters. I understand that it doesn't work with Windows XP, so I haven't tried it on my current computer. Anyone know if that's true?
    All you need to do is go to: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...appcompat.mspx

Follow the directions. Worked like a charm for me!!!

NC

Thanks Quicksand and Donnybrooke for the information!!!

South Chesterfield Virginia, United States
    Blog Entries
    Navychief, you are welcome. I still find WW2F to be alot more user-friendly than CFS3, which I flew for a few years. It's like an old friend. It never stutters, locks up, or packs up, and the "feel" you experience while flying it is hard to beat, even by today's standards. Glad it worked for you....

The very first sim I bought, well, got it for Christmas in 1990...Great game though.

Chris

High!
    Around 1997/98, I was very deep into WW2Fighters.

I also turned that Bf 109G back into an F-model. From the 1st day, I was hooked.
    In the meantime, I like CFS2 much more, due to the unlimited extension possibilities.
    And I don`t even have WW2F installed anymore since some years..
    But I still miss the very nice cockpit with the "I am there" feeling.
    Only few CFS2 birds can repeat this.

You can get my mod and other stuff here:

http://ww2fighters.org/

PS: Was that really 10 years ago ??

Visit my CFS2-dedicated sites: CFS2 : Tips&Tricks + Downloads + A/C-Profiles + Links

Hi all,
    I used to love that sim.Liked being able to ground straf the troops.
    Not used it for quite some time.but I do still have the cd boxed.
    Tried it on Vista and it just falls over.

Buddha13
    Who is the bigger fool,The fool or the man who listens to the fool.

Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons....For you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Excellent sim.well ahaed of its time........great mission builder.......only problem - all winter and a tiny bit of Europe........

and not moddable like CFS2 but if you like - look here:

http://www.ww2fighters.org/

Good luck, enjoy...

PS: It does work with XP.......
    PSULLYKEYS

The only thing necessary for evil to win is for good men to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by PSULLYKEYS View Post
    Excellent sim.well ahaed of its time........great mission builder.......only problem - all winter and a tiny bit of Europe........

and not moddable like CFS2......

Hmmmm? Well, not according to this guy...

http://www.simplyhifi.com.au/WW2FATPROJECTS.htm

gtunney
    NavyChief, I get the divided screen, too. Are you running on a machine with an NVidia card? I've heard there is an issue with them and that's what I have.

thedude247
    Yeah, used to play this religously.

Still alive on my drive too!!!

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

GTunney,

My father in laws machine is running a low end Nvidia card (Wal Mart special). To be honest, I have not played WW2 Fighters for a while, but plan to be again soon.

NC

I've still got it... it was my first WWII flight sim. And flew it second to B-17 for a long time. It's still ahead of it's time IMO. I'll have to fire it back up soon. Loved the realism because of the animals, especially the deer that would run across the runway every so often. :costumes: The other nice thing was being able to taxi out for your takeoffs with the AI.

I forget, did it have MP? Too bad Jane's is no longer around to give it a remake to today's standards. That, and the mods made, would make it top notch again.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

I'll give ya another shocker, it works on vista 32 too, without haveing to set any compatibility. Least it does on my vista drive.
    FFB works with my sidewinder, amazeing that this old sim just keeps on working when so many new ones fail.

Quote Originally Posted by CH_OldZeke View Post
    amazeing that this old sim just keeps on working when so many new ones fail.
    Yes it is Zeke. :d When I was flying it it never really had any problems like the sims of today do. Look at one of today's sims cross-eyed and it crashes, WWII Fighters just kept on ticking.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

Found the CD's, in pristine condition. Now, has anyone found the trick of getting these to load/run on Vista ???

Hummm, mine is a single CD and it ran/installed on vista. I have installed other programs that would'nt run from the CD by copying the CD contents to a folder then running the install exe from within the folder.

Had to do my nostromo speed pad software like that as the cd would throw the "this is not a vista program" or some such when I tried to run it.

i still fly, i dont know how much of video need but with 1g of ram is more than enough, respect with the fighters there is no add ons for play just mods to change one for other, for the other aircrafts im not sure

here is a table of how dificult is the games compared with il2 cfs2
    in an equal fight aces vs aces fighters
    cfs2
    8 allieds - 8 axis shotdowns by player 4 or 8 depending the aircraft used and how agresive are the opponent
    il2 aces vs aces
    4 allieds - 4 axis, i dont remerber if were 8 vs 8 or 4 vs 4 shotdowns by player (in my sort experience) 2or3
    wwii fighters aces vs aces
    16 allieds - 16 axis shotdowns by player between 2 and 3 with some luck 3.5

fighters againt bombers
    cfs2
    8 allieds - 8 axis shotdowns by player 3 or 4
    il2 aces vs aces
    4 allieds - 4 axis shotdowns by player n/a (no tested)
    wwii fighters aces vs aces
    16 allieds - 4 axis shotdowns by player 109G between 2 and 2.5 with some luck 3 or 3.5
    FOR THE SIMULATOR COMBAT PILOTS THE SKYS HAS NO LIMITS

i know that is dangerous but is time to leave and dance with the angesl AC6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bNvn8l0OD8

Hey, my name is Josh. Anyone up for a multiplayer session?

Just reinstalled! Running in compatibility mode on Windows 7. Using the good ol' Thrustmaster Hotas.
    Whee! I'd forgotten how great a game this is. Can't get any of the mods to install, but no worries.
    Thanks
    Sue