Alpha F-89

Thread: Alpha F-89

SOH-CM-2023

Alpha F-89

I'm thinking of getting this bird... Any thoughts?

Also, are there any repiants? I couldn't find any at Flightsim.

Brian
    You can't take the sky from me...

Great bird. Yes, there are several repaints. Not many, but several.

Check the unoffical AlphaSim forum.

http://www.virtualavia.com/alphasim/...orum/forum.php

I can't remember where I found the repaints, but if you post on the forum someone would know.

--WH

Great aircraft & a real delight to fly!

There were a few done by Pierre but they were hosted at Avsim.
    Regards, Bob

Core i7-9470 4.4GHz 8MB Cache | Dual 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | 16GB DDR3 SDRAM at 2300Mhz | 500GB Samsung Evo SSD | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 1200 Watt Power Supply| Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Brian,
    I love the aircraft - one of my favorites!

Ditto to what Panther just said. One of my favorite jets. But then, I pretty much only like early jets. Alphasim has done well with all those early jets. The F-89 is great.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

SOH-CM-2023
    Just got it... I'll do a test flight in the morning. Only problem I've seen so far is I can't open the texture files in the Paint kit. I have an old copy of PSP that can't open later model photoshop files.

I was looking forward to cranking out a VT Air Guard Model J

Brian

Here's a VT ANG one that should be on Avsim when it comes back up. It's in ADC grey. There's also Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota ANG skins as well. Search 'dave quincey'. This one of Alphasim's best recent offerings although the paint kit's a bit difficult.

Best wishes

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

SOH-CM-2023
    I met a retired VT Air Guard F-89 pilot once. He told me a story about how the Guard guys would harass the regular AF guys in the 60's that were in VT. This usually consisted of buzzing the Radar station in St. Albans and the Missile Silo's in Alburgh and Swanton. One time on a low and slow pass (Gear and flaps down) with a Scorpion, the pilot got a little too low and as the story goes... there was a tire skid mark left on top of the radar dome...

As for the textures... could you upload them here or at Flightsim?

I'm really looking forward to trying out that VT paint job.

Brian

Will do if I have time this weekend, Brian.

And I bet the top of the radome wasn't the only place there was a very big skid mark..........!!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Gladden View Post
    Just got it... I'll do a test flight in the morning. Only problem I've seen so far is I can't open the texture files in the Paint kit. I have an old copy of PSP that can't open later model photoshop files.

I was looking forward to cranking out a VT Air Guard Model J

Brian
    How old is your copy of PSP? When I painted the F-89J and adjusted the other models in the set I used PSP7 and then saved off a copy in PSD format (verified could be opened in Photoshop going back to v6). I came in late to paint the J model for the set and the textures I had to work with were a real mess at that point. The paint kit was a compromise in the end.

As indicated above by Dave there are a few repaints available. They used to be viewable at the unofficial Alphasim forum but were lost when the forum had a crash landing. I don't recall Pierre doing any though.

PM me if you have problems with the paint kit. Maybe I have something better.
    :ernae:

SOH-CM-2023
    I have PSP 7 but I get an error when I try to open the php files in the paint kit. I've had this problem with all the recent Alpha paint kits.

Since Dave has the repaint I want, I can wait for the upload...

Brian

Just saw a bunch of repaints posted today at FlightSim.

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Just saw a bunch of repaints posted today at FlightSim.

Yep, those are Dave's. Grabbed the VT one already.

Brian

Display problem with Dave Quincey fsx f89 paints

I finally bought the f-89 in the pc aviator sale and installed the MNANG VTANG WIANG IAANG repaints and none of them display properly in FSX. I installed the fsx textures per instructions and the canopy is silver and the aircraft appears to be lit from below. Was wondering what I can do to fix this. Does anybody have an idea? Thanks in advance.

You'd probably get a better answer in the FSX forum for this. I do know that FSX uses a different textures format than FS2004. You might have to convert those textures to the FSX format.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    You'd probably get a better answer in the FSX forum for this. I do know that FSX uses a different textures format than FS2004. You might have to convert those textures to the FSX format.
    Sorry did not realize this was the 2004 forum the textures are in fsx format already maybe i will try over there

I was looking for repaints for my new Alphasim F4D Skyray a couple of days ago. Do a search on AVSIM for FS2004 textures under the name ofBruce Martin. I'm pretty sure I saw at least a couple of repaints for the Scorpion. Good hunting!

LA
    ...things will go as they will; and there's no use hurrying to meet them.

I have a few tucked away in my archive somewhere. I believe there is an excellent Iowa Air Nat'l Guard paint out there for sure. If you can't find what you're looking for, send me a PM with an e-mail addie and I'll dig em' up for ya.

BB686:USA-flag:
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

I know this is off topic but is there a repaint for the Alphasim/Virtavia F-105 Thundercheif of Mephis Bell 2. Plus is there anyway of stopping it from stalling on landing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Burnside View Post
    I know this is off topic but is there a repaint for the Alphasim/Virtavia F-105 Thundercheif of Mephis Bell 2. Plus is there anyway of stopping it from stalling on landing.
    Right here under your nose in the SOH Library: filename 2008_F105_Memphis_belle.zip Author: Dave Larmer (Klarm)

Alphasim 2008 F-105D "Memphis Belle II".zip
    This repaint is for the new (2008) Payware FS9 version of Alphasim's F-105D, you must have this aircraft installed to use these textures. These textures represent the "Memphis Belle II" flown by Maj. Buddy Jones from Taklhi RTAB.

by Klarm (2008-01-20 20:24:44)

Category FS 2004 Skins

And.... sorry no clue about the stalling, haven't heard of that before... Maybe a matter of maintaining proper AoA and airspeed perhaps?

Thank you I actually have a model of this aircraft.

Usually if you're stalling out while trying to land, you're going too slow. Come in a little faster and see if that helps.

One trick I do is look at the stall speeds in the aircraft.cfg and touch down on the runway about 10 to 15 kts faster. You'll find these speeds in the reference speed section of the aircraft.cfg file.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

I know its fictional but is there anychance of a repaint for the thud of the strike eagle grey based at raf lakenheath.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Usually if you're stalling out while trying to land, you're going too slow. Come in a little faster and see if that helps.

One trick I do is look at the stall speeds in the aircraft.cfg and touch down on the runway about 10 to 15 kts faster. You'll find these speeds in the reference speed section of the aircraft.cfg file.
    Excellent advise, Willy. The F-89, with such a large wing area is an easy plane to land, almost NOT wanting to touch down on terra firma. Everyone's system is different tho. Especially on a cool humid day where the air density is so thick, you couldn't cut it with a sharp knife.

I have the Alpha F-89 Scorpion and I believe, along with the F-105 "Thud" it is one of Alpha's best. A superb model of a classic early jet in all aspects.

BB686:USA-flag:
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Members who have read this thread: 53