Aircraft resolution question

Thread: Aircraft resolution question

Question Aircraft resolution question

Hello everyone,
    Could someone please tell me what the maximum aircraft texture t.DDS resolution ETO can handle? For instance if I convert a bitmap file of 4096x4096 using Gimp to a DDS 4096x4096 will ETO be able to display that resolution in the game actually at that resolution or will the game automatically compress it to 1024x1024 and display that in the game? I have found that if I use MW DXTBmp programme it converts to a DDS file of size 1024x1024 only and will not save to a larger size is there a way to tweak DXTBmp?

Can I change these parameters in Cfs3config to make the above work? See pic below.

Thanks

I have mine set to 4096 to prevent CFS3 from downsizing the high resolution textures I need to use sometimes to prevent dds compression artifacts. The only reason to avoid having this set too high is if your video card does not have enough memory. Mine has 4 Gb, but I've never seen CFS3 use more than about 1.25 Gb.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Thanks, so the texture info should be set at 4096 or higher may be at the max? and the texture limits can't go any higher than 1024.
    Do you see a big difference at 4096 than at 1024 in the game? I have a good graphics card gtx970 that works really well I think that's 4gb.
    Thanks

This is worth a read through. See post #16

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...lution+Texture
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

CFS3 can run with textures of 2048x2048px and the settings to enable these are at Reg's Hanger. Since these were worked out years ago, there's no reason they won't work with your kit. MAW comes with 1024 and 2048 textures and has a Resolution Swapper to switch between them. ETO will happily run 2048 textures too.

If your graphics program can't handle .DDS conversion bigger than 1024x1024, then change graphics program: Paint.NET is free and handles them easily. Paintshop Pro or Photoshop with the nVidia plugin (if you have the option) do the same easier than falling off a log.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by htpcorsica View Post
    Hello everyone,
    Could someone please tell me what the maximum aircraft texture t.DDS resolution ETO can handle? For instance if I convert a bitmap file of 4096x4096 using Gimp to a DDS 4096x4096 will ETO be able to display that resolution in the game actually at that resolution or will the game automatically compress it to 1024x1024 and display that in the game? I have found that if I use MW DXTBmp programme it converts to a DDS file of size 1024x1024 only and will not save to a larger size is there a way to tweak DXTBmp?

Can I change these parameters in Cfs3config to make the above work? See pic below.

Thanks
    hi htpcorsica,
    you may find it easier to work directly with the configoverrides.xml file in your application data, rather than work with the interface of cfs3config.exe. In that way, where the texture max dimension slider only goes up to "1024", you can take it up higher to whatever you dare, in increments of 1024.

Thanks very much for the replies, have got it working on higher res and now I am going to see if I can do something with the mos files to make it even better I hope.

"I have found that if I use MW DXTBmp programme it converts to a DDS file of size 1024x1024 only and will not save to a larger size is there a way to tweak DXTBmp?"

I often use it with 2048 textures without issues. If I understand correctly, are you trying to upsize from 1024 to 2048 with the DXTBmp? If you have say a 1024 bitmap (.bmp) picture or .dds that you want to turn into 2048, then you will need a photo editor like Paint or Photoshop to enlarge it.

Thanks Foo Fighter, it was 2048 bmp I was trying to convert to a dds file and it kept coming out at 1024. I remember with xp and I think win7 it worked ok. But never mind as I have been using Gimp which seems to work ok. I have corel paintshop pro x7 and put the nvidia plugin but can't get that to work same with Macwhite not working either, I don't know why may be win 10 thing?

I can't replicate the DXTBmp problem on my end. Did you change any of the 'processing' or 'scaling' features in the right hand window? Mine is set to 'box' and 'none' respectively. I use Photoshop myself and can't speak to PSP but my Nvidia plug in works fine as well. As you indicated it might be a W10 thing (I'm using W8).

Members who have read this thread: 0