Hotas suggestions please

Thread: Hotas suggestions please

Hotas suggestions please

My 11 year old X-52 died last night . Currently hating a G940 which has been rescued from the basement. Anyone got a good and honest impression of the X-56. Yes I know of the Warthog but sheesh SWMBO would go DEFCON if I broached that. The X-56 will be a series of negotiations but at least navigable.

Any others?

I can't speak of the X56 but I've had a X55 for a few months now and like it. Be aware though that I had some major issues when trying to get the Saitek drivers and programming software to install in Win 7/64 Pro. The driver installer never completed (it hung on the final stage and never closed automatically) although the drivers did go in and were recognized. The programming software installed but after spending a long time setting up the axes and buttons I discovered the button to apply the profile to the HOTAS remained 'greyed out' and I could not apply the profile at all!

In the end I bought the full version of FSUIPC and used that to assign the axes and buttons and I have been very happy with the set up so far.
    Larry

Thanks Larry, just about to enter negotiations with the Boss. My local (NCIX) store advertises the X-55 and claims in stock, but when you cart it, there is a warning not in stock and no idea when it will be (if ever). Of course Saitek have discontinued the X55. NCIX don't even carry the X56 and it seems more Space game oriented than FS. Went to Best Buy today, met with blank looks from their Geek Squad. Hotas? errrr what's that? Saitek? Never heard of it........ painful experience...... Last year I was in the search for a fancy high quality CD player... they had one, a middle of the road Sony, is CD THAT dead?
    I'm tempted to just get the X-52 Pro as I was very pleased with its predecessor. 11 years of daily use is pretty good by standards these days, sheesh, we went through 3 TV's, 4 kettles, 3 coffee makers & 2 clothes Irons in that time.

X-52 update

Well call me Mr. Pissed-off. I plumped for the X-52 Pro. Waited the 9 days without being able to sim. It arrived today from Amazon. Immediately suspicious as the securing lip of the Saitek box packaging was not in its hole. Hmmmmm? Opening it up, the rubber suction feet were attached to both units and the CD was just tossed in the bottom of the box. Was this a return they have just sent out again? Very suspicious.
    Plugged it in any way. Whats this? Button #13 is u/s. The Twist rudder is off kilter way to the left and a button on the throttle appears to not work. Install the usually useless Saitek software, and sure enough same issues there. No calibrating will fix it.
    Repackage and off to the post office.
    Clearly MADKATZ are not the way to go for me ever again, and although I cannot prove it, I am now suspicious of Amazon too now.
    These modern ways of shopping are fine and dandy when all goes well, but I really do miss the days when you could walk into a store and buy the product you want and return it the same day if it is faulty.

And on top of everything else we have a postal strike before they can refund...... Thrustmaster will have to wait. Grrrrrrr.
    Last edited by Naismith; June 30th, 2016 at 12:48. Reason: update

Here's a link to the Pro version serviced directly from Amazon. I would also contact Amazon to report the poor service from "MADKATZ." If that's not a mis-spelling, then it sounds like they're trying to rip off the good name of Mad Catz gaming.

https://www.amazon.com/Saitek-X52-Fl.../dp/B000LQ4HTS
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Here's a link to the Pro version serviced directly from Amazon. I would also contact Amazon to report the poor service from "MADKATZ." If that's not a mis-spelling, then it sounds like they're trying to rip off the good name of Mad Catz gaming.

https://www.amazon.com/Saitek-X52-Fl.../dp/B000LQ4HTS
    Sorry it is Mad Catz - Oh yes I let Amazon know. But further to that I blv Amazon now to be culpable here. I just watched an unboxing on YT and it occurred to me also that there was no plastic sticky across the flap I referred to which to my mind indicates that the packaging was unsealed at Amazon and ergo I have to speculate that they have simply resent out a joystick that was returned by an unsatisfied customer. This opinion further cemented by the fact that the rubber sucker feet were attached. I cannot prove anything but I have never seen attached feet before.
    Here is my customer review
    https://www.amazon.ca/review/review-...annel=YAcc-wr#

If you want 'brick and mortar' shopping, try here http://www.memoryexpress.com

Yes, it's a drive into Richmond http://www.memoryexpress.com/Stores/Location/Richmond, but... if they have an item in stock they will usually hold for pickup (same-day at least).
    They currently show X-52, X-52 Pro and X-55 items in stock. The X-56 is 'special order' but at least there will be a real human to talk to and answer questions.

I have bought all my equipment from them for the past 10 years and have never had a bad experience. Never have used their online shop as there are two stores within a 20 minute drive but considering their growth over the last few years, they must be doing something right.

One caveat - all stores are closed on Canada Day. It is a national holiday, after all

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Wow, can't blv I never heard of them before, thanks for the tip. When I get my Amazon refund I will surely be heading up there. I see they are soon to be expanding to Langley which is handier. Damn the postal strike! In the past I have always been an NCIX customer but they don't stock much in the way of Hotas.

Members who have read this thread: 0