Iris BD-5 for FSX - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iris BD-5 for FSX

Lou, it's in regard to the question of back-ups and who should be responsible for them.
    Regards,
    Robert

David, I sent you a pm, hope we can resolve this

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DX-FMJ View Post
    Yeah it seems like one has to walk on egg shells in this forum, glad your here to keep everyone inline, your doing a fantastic job!
    It costs nothing to be polite.
    As for HD failures, I (just me, myself) have never had one at all.
    Currently a 2TB WB external drive has a sticker price of A$98.00 (or roughly US$100.00 +/-) and their 2.5TB is a$139.00.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Charter Member 2015
    If you really want to protect your FS addons you'll have multiple backups. Apart from having external HDD's ,consider burning data to Bluray or DVD media. If you've invested $000's in your hobby it makes sense to protect that investment as best as you possibly can. Freeware can also disappear (remember the avsim hacking,or what about the fantastic repaints by BananaBob and Yago9...many of which are either unavailable or are difficult to find). Supposing if a FS company goes bust,or their servers go down?

Just my 2c...but with the cost of 1TB external drives around €50 or DVD media costing a few cents,I don't see backing up any of my data as an issue.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Not only do you have to backup your files, you also have to locate some backups off-site. This would protect your data from a natural disaster or fire which could wipe out all on-site backups.

Regards, Mike Mann

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mmann View Post
    Not only do you have to backup your files, you also have to locate some backups off-site. This would protect your data from a natural disaster or fire which could wipe out all on-site backups.

Regards, Mike Mann
    Hence the big push towards "cloud computing"
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by DX-FMJ View Post
    I never heard of making a back-up how do i do that? (joking)

LOL, how you think I lost the installers :mixedsmi:

I love these people that assume things without knowing the rest of the story, amazing. I should not have to explain how I lost them, that's irrelevant.

At least someone see it the way I do.
    To be honest I'm not really interested in how you lost your installers. However what surprises me is the fact that you lost something and that you expect your supplier to replace it. Of course there are reasons, for instance fire, due to which both the original and back-up are gone at the same time. But in the end IRIS is not responsible for the loss of your software. Whether you want to make back-ups and where you store them is up to you and again no concern of IRIS.

Do you also expect your car supplier to give you a free new car when your car has been on fire or lost in a flood.

As you said correctly, you don't need explain anything here, but when I read your reply to N2056 statement, I wonder why you even post here.

Huub

I seem to recall Iris offering a 'backup service' for purchased items for a small extra charge [apologies if I'm wrong] which sounds very reasonable. Unless I'm mistaken, there's no responsibility on the seller to provide unlimited downloads of our purchased files unless it's stated...

Good call N2056 - I usually like the friendly banter and occasional bit of sarcasm here, but not this time.

For the record, that was my first hard drive loss and I learned my lesson. I now only have internal drives as I read a lot of bad things about the external drives. I have two 1.5tb and two 2.0tb drives in my machine and keep back-ups of back-ups. :mixedsmi:

LouP

Back on topic:

I've been playing around with the config trying to correct the issue with the rpm and have finally decided that it's not an aircraft problem but a gauge problem. I read an owner's account of flying his BD5 and he said he had the rpms up to 8000 which makes sense for this type of engine. this gauge redines around 3K and maxs out at 3.5K. Bad bad bad.... I tried to look for the gauge to maybe change the face of it but don't think that will work. I'll try a little more but right now it doesn't look good.

LouP

Members who have read this thread: 0