Where is this race course?

Thread: Where is this race course?

Where is this race course?

I've been arrived in Melbourne, but I couldn't find this horse race cours. Could anybody please tell me where it is? (My gazoline is off, cigarettes
    too, so I should finish urgently)

I don't know where the race course is, but you better land gently, That landing gear looks to need a bit of fixing!!

Don't worry, it is British craftmanship at it's best!

Quote Originally Posted by derBruchpilot View Post
    Don't worry, it is British craftmanship at it's best!
    uh huh.. and I bet the electrics are of the same, fine Lucas quality... ouch

But the race course is closed, demolished and replaced by a shopping mall. Look for the WalMart sign

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    uh huh.. and I bet the electrics are of the same, fine Lucas quality...
    Ah, yes - Lucas, Prince of Darkness!

Don't forget the Lucas Electrics motto: "Be Home Before Dark!"

I think the Moth's panel features those famous Lucas three-position light switches: Dim, Flicker and Off.

Joseph Lucas will always have his place in history. Watt invented the generator, Edison invented the light bulb, and Lucas invented the short circuit.

If Lucas made guns there would be no war.

I love that aircraft. :ernae: Is it available somewhere?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

But the race course is closed, demolished and replaced by a shopping mall. Look for the WalMart sign
    Sorry to hear about this. Such a long way from London to Melbourne, and now the race course is closed. Why didn't anyone tell me before?

uh huh.. and I bet the electrics are of the same, fine Lucas quality... ouch
    Don't know who made the electrics. But I heard when Mister Hansen and Mister Jensen (real unique names in Denmark I think) announced their participation in the race a British newspaper called the aircraft a "invitation to suicide".

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    I love that aircraft. :ernae: Is it available somewhere?

No, it isn't at the moment. I retired, and so it doesn't exist. But if I retired from the retirement it would look like this one. And in this case it will be available sometime and somewhere.
    But as a German I have to be konsequent. I cannot retire from the retirement. But I'm thinking about the problem...:isadizzy:

No, it isn't at the moment. I retired, and so it doesn't exist. But if I retired from the retirement it would look like this one. And in this case it will be available sometime and somewhere.
    But as a German I have to be konsequent. I cannot retire from the retirement. But I'm thinking about the problem...:isadizzy:

LOL I retired too, and retired from retirement sort of ... now I just piddle.

Oh, and you can find a whole lot of people just like you looking for the same thing here:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...isplay.php?f=6
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Since this aircraft doesn't exist, I guess there's no point mentioning that the Desoutter that competed in the MacRobertson race was registered OY-DOD, not DOO?

Looks great Ralf, and I hope it gets finished someday, especially since this aircraft has a Koolhoven connection!
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

I think I will not finish the model this year and so I uploaded a beta version to my own website. You can download it from here: www.derbruchpilot.net/downloads/Desoutter_MkII_Beta.rar
    The airfile was taken from Milton Shupe's Puss Moth for the moment. The soundset was made by Mike Hambly and also taken from the Puss Moth - I hope both will excuse me.
    There are still a lot of mistakes, errors, failures and needed fixes.
    All details of the interior and most of the exterior are fictional. I couldn't find any cockpit picture, and the exterior pictures I found don't show all details. I'm not shure how the gear suspension works, where the tanks are situated, where the antenna is and so on and on and on and ....
    I have to fix some smoothing problems, texture problems too (yes, the designation number on the fuselage is right, the number on the wing is wrong).
    I have also to fix the contact points, I think I'll do that when I finished the exterior model.
    The gyro drift adjust knob doesn't work properly, the primer, the fuel cut off, the fuel selector and a fuel gauge are still missing.

Regards
    Ralf

Mister Hansen and Mister Jensen on the way from Busher to Jask:

Hi Ralf

This is such a nice little plane, and as a Dane I really hope that you will retire from your retirement to finish the model

I made a little lineup of some of the planes that participated in the race and took a few shots. I know that I should also have added at least a Dragon Rapide, but I am a bit lazy, so I just took the models that needed no new repaints. I hope you like these pics of your bird with the others...

Best regards
    Kim Dahl

I think I will not finish the model this year and so I uploaded a beta version to my own website. You can download it from here: www.derbruchpilot.net/downloads/Desoutter_MkII_Beta.rar
    The airfile was taken from Milton Shupe's Puss Moth for the moment. The soundset was made by Mike Hambly and also taken from the Puss Moth - I hope both will excuse me.
    There are still a lot of mistakes, errors, failures and needed fixes.
    All details of the interior and most of the exterior are fictional. I couldn't find any cockpit picture, and the exterior pictures I found don't show all details. I'm not shure how the gear suspension works, where the tanks are situated, where the antenna is and so on and on and on and ....
    I have to fix some smoothing problems, texture problems too (yes, the designation number on the fuselage is right, the number on the wing is wrong).
    I have also to fix the contact points, I think I'll do that when I finished the exterior model.
    The gyro drift adjust knob doesn't work properly, the primer, the fuel cut off, the fuel selector and a fuel gauge are still missing.

Regards
    Ralf

Mister Hansen and Mister Jensen on the way from Busher to Jask:
    Downloaded ... great progress on this sweet little aircraft.

I did a quick network search and found a lot of references. Mainly I was looking for how the gear suspension worked. The pictures found from links on Wikipedia show it has a main gear pivoting lower A-frame functioniing very similar to the Puss Moth. This may help in that regard.

Thank you and keep up the great work whenever you have time Ralf.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hi,

never heard about Lucas electrical before, but seems like they worked hard to build a reputation. I got a good laugh from this site:

http://www.hermit.cc/mania/tmc/articles/lucas.htm

Regards,
    Volker

A rather no frills cockpit. But I like it!
    Dandog

Just This Guy!

Quote Originally Posted by kimdahl View Post
    Hi Ralf
    This is such a nice little plane, and as a Dane I really hope that you will retire from your retirement to finish the model
    I made a little lineup of some of the planes that participated in the race and took a few shots. I know that I should also have added at least a Dragon Rapide, but I am a bit lazy, so I just took the models that needed no new repaints. I hope you like these pics of your bird with the others...

Best regards
    Kim Dahl
    I like the pics VERY MUCH. The top one is on my desktop now!
    The ultimate FS dream for me!
    I only made it to Karachi, trying to re-fly the race.

The Desouter wason my to do list for FS. but now we even have this plane in FS. Great work.

Cheers, Rob
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

That's simply Great!!!
    Almost all of the original entrants have been made!

Thank you all for the pictures! The stuff was very helpfull, but at the end I was more confused than at the beginning.
    I learned that the differences between the Marks I and II are bigger than I thought. The Mark I has only one door on the right hand side, the Mark II has two doors on both sides. The fixing of the landing gear on the wing is also very different, and it seems the function of the gear suspension too. At the pictures are found all fittings are fixed and I couldn't detect a shock absorber or suspensions. So it must be unsuspended and undamped. At the Mark II the lower cylinder looks like a telescopic suspension, but I couldn't detect how the gear struts are fixed to the fuse. It must be rotatable, but I couldn't see it exactly, so I had to guess. The aileron's linkage to the wing differs also. There also differences between the "Berlingske Tidende" and the Australian Blue (VH-UPR). I found some pictures of the "Berlingske Tidende" in a magazine (unfortunately I cannot scan the pictures at the moment). It seems like the fixing of the gear struts on the wing is like a Mark I. The right cowling is completly closed, no intake.

I made some minor changes and uploaded a new beta to my website. Some mistakes are too big to be corrected. The download link is still the same: http://www.derbruchpilot.net/downloa..._MkII_Beta.rar

Changes made:
    - cowling
    - exhaust pipe
    - panel and gauges
    - left hand door
    - inside fuse
    - main landing gear
    - roof window
    - tank and fuel line

Changes I have to make:
    - elevator keys
    - yoke and pedals
    - add footsteps on the gear struts
    - seats
    - some texture changes
    - some panel work
    - Airplane Bank Indicator

Mistakes I can't correct:
    - front window (it's to big, the upper frame should be wider)
    - doors (to big too, the lower frame of the fuse under the door should be higher)

I hope the plane looks now more similar like the real one. Nevertheless there are still some problems:
    1. I realised the the electrics were made by the Prince of Darkness. Nevertheless there should be some switches, otherwise Mr. Koolhoven realised that even switches wouldn't help to make the electrics work. Where the switches were situated?
    2. I couldn't see how the yoke and the pedals were working. The solution I choosed is as it could be, not as it was.
    3. The same about throttle and mixture. Realising that de Havilland's Gipsy III was the standard engine for a lot of British sports planes there must be also a standard solution for throttle and mixture, mustn't it?
    4. I removed some gauges. On the pictures I could see three gauges only. I guess there is a RPM-indicator, an airspeed indicator and an altimeter, but I'm not shure. In addition there's a compass on the ground. May be there were additional gauges, for example thermometers or pressure indicators?
    5. I couldn't see the place of the ignition switches.
    6. What about radios? On the picture of the "Berlingske Tidende" I saw something similar like an antenna, but it's on the roof - and there is the tank now. I would confide a lot to Mr. Lucas - but building an antenna near to some gasoline? Might be the "Berlingske Tidende" had the older Mark-I-wing (this would explain the problem of strut's fixing also) and the tanks was somewhere else, but not in the middle of the wing? But where were the tak in this case?

I added also a very simple 2D-panel, the gauges were taken from Milton's Puss Moth.

Regards
    Ralf

Downloading to check it out now Ralf. As I recall, the lower suspension A frame pivots on the two fuselage connections and the oleo suspension is built into the upper support. I will see if I can find a picture to help explain.

If you wish to use the gauges from the Puss Moth, we must contact Scott Thomas for proper permissions. I will PM you with his email address.

EDIT: Well, you have your PM's turned off. If you could visit your Control Panel and turn that option on, I will PM you with Scott's address.

EDIT 2: It appears that the MK1 had the suspension at the top of the upper strut from these pictures: http://www.koolhoven.com/reconstruction/desoutter-mk1/

EDIT 3: MK11: "UNDERCARRIAGE - Divided axle type, Consists of two vertical telescopic legs running down from the front spars, the bottom ends of which are hinged to the bottom fuselage longerons by steel tube Vees. Springing is effected by rubber in compression. Link: http://www.spiritsofansett.com/histo.../desoutter.htm

EDIT 4: MK11: Assuming this Australian version is correct, you have the suspension modeled correctly. Link: http://www.aarg.com.au/DeSoutter.htm
    Also see the "More Pictures" link at the bottom of that page.

EDIT 5: Also see this MK1 link: http://www.henrikaper.nl/koolhoven-fk41/03research/

EDIT 6: See MK11's here: http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac1/austu/vhuee.html and ...
    http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac1/austb/VH-BQE.html

EDIT 7: Nice graphic here depicting suspension: http://www.sci.fi/~ambush/faf/desoutter.html

EDIT 8: http://www.airteamimages.com/big69948.html
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hi Ralf

It is good to see that you are still working on the model. Just a little info about the OY-DOD: it was actually more or less rebuilt after a crash before it was used for the race. So maybe this particular plane had some non-standard features?

Regards
    Kim

derBruchpilot, I think you should not have let us see this one. Lots of interest. And here we are trying to get you to retire from retiring. Neat little plane, visually, mechanically, and historically.

Thank you for this one.
    Dandog

Just This Guy!

Quote Originally Posted by kimdahl View Post
    Hi Ralf

It is good to see that you are still working on the model. Just a little info about the OY-DOD: it was actually more or less rebuilt after a crash before it was used for the race. So maybe this particular plane had some non-standard features?

Regards
    Kim

In any case it's a good excuse...

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar

The 'Fokhoven'.

The Desoutter Mk.I was based on the Koolhoven F.K.41, which evolved into the F.K.43 before the outbreak of WW2. The KLM use a few of these, and after WW2 some more were built by Fokker which is remarkable since Frits koolhoven and Anthony Fokker were fierce rivals before 1940.
    This aircraft was known as the Fokker-Koolhoven F.K.43, or 'Fokhoven' for short.

Only one of these Fokhovens still exists today, and resides in a car museum in the Netherlands. Last year I was able to make a few photos of this aircraft:

Though it is quite a lot different from the original F.K.41 I thought it would be a good occasion to post these.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Members who have read this thread: 0