Must read
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Must read

Interesting. My FS box (Win7) does not have any of those updates currently installed. This laptop (Win 8) has only the last one KB3035583 installed. In the article he says "VERIFY EACH KB NUMBER BEFORE CONTINUING". This implies either 1) you should have all of them or none of them, and/or 2) You should not take any action unless you have all four of them installed.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Verify each means...check each one to be sure you are uninstalling the correct one.
    It's not either-or....simply...if you have any/all - uninstall...

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Verify each means...check each one to be sure you are uninstalling the correct one.
    It's not either-or....simply...if you have any/all - uninstall...
    Yeah, that could be it. Would be bad if you uninstalled the wrong one (oops). Just Googled the one I do have, and it's the one that will "advertise" Win 10 when it's released.
    HP Reverb G2

Duck over to the ghacks site in the link....it'll add more light...

Running several VMs means I get to have all sorts of fun with updates....

Oh my. I want spend my time flying or working with my system, and not fighting the OS. I think they really went one step too far with that now.
    Thanks for the h/u.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Oh dear. One more thing on this planet I need to look at. What a pain.

My Desktop with Win8.1 only has KB3035583, and I haven't seen any performance hit. The wife's laptop running Win7 has them all, and in some instances there were multiple updates. I'm not sure I even need to worry about it or even consider removing them.

What is maddening is that I monitor all the Windows updates on both computers, and if MS says its "Critical" or "Recommended" it gets installed. The "Optional" updates get further scrutiny, and in one instance I had to do a rollback to a restore point since the update screwed up the wife's laptop.

Maybe I should stop all updates, disconnect from the internet, and go live in a cave...
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Thanks for the heads up on this, and the links.

I've been scratching my head as to why my system has been slow at times for the past few weeks, with lots of unexplained disk activity.

Now I know why!

Very sneaky of Microsoft to do this, and especially when it affects system performance!

Cheers

Paul

Hmmm. I suspect this is another paranoia alarm, so it's out with the tinfoil. The only thing slowing my Win7 rig right now - okay, slowing the web connection - is the kids watching Minecraft videos.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Made a batch file to check for the updates using powershell. When I did that I found all four of them on the Win7 FS machine and three on the Win8 machines. However, I too have seen no abnormal CPU usage.
    HP Reverb G2

Mike,

Do you work in IT?

I do. That link link is complete humbug.

Please don't scare people about these things. Let the IT people do it.

Johan

i dont understand all of this stuff,but i dont want my brand new system to slow down so i cant fly or anything..what i dont understand is this,,,if i find and remove these 4 updates..or just the one..whatever...will i not be able to have the win 10 update later?

Well.. I've had a look and I have 1 of those KB's installed.. KB2990214. When you click on it.. the blurb says 'Install this update to resolve issues in Windows'. It also says this at Microsoft until you look further down the page when it says this KB allows you to upgrade from Win7 SP1 to another version of Windows. I'm not quite sure what resolving an issue (or issues) in Windows has to do with upgrading from one version to another but this appears to be the case. Does this mean I have to uninstall this KB or do I let sleeping dogs lie??

ATB
    DaveB

Me neither....no drop whatsoever, though I only found KB3035583.

Both my machine (win7 64) and my wife's (win7 32) had all four updates installed. They are now gone. We had both noticed excessive disc accesses, slower performance (especially in games with lots of lagging and mini freezes) and slow browsing recently. We also checked our bandwidth usage over the last month and saw unexplainable spikes in the traffic which could be why we have slightly exceeded our bandwidth limit this month!
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    Both my machine (win7 64) and my wife's (win7 32) had all four updates installed. They are now gone. We had both noticed excessive disc accesses, slower performance (especially in games with lots of lagging and mini freezes) and slow browsing recently. We also checked our bandwidth usage over the last month and saw unexplainable spikes in the traffic which could be why we have slightly exceeded our bandwidth limit this month!
    I´ve noticed the same issues----gone now.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    Mike,

Do you work in IT?

I do. That link link is complete humbug.

Please don't scare people about these things. Let the IT people do it.

Johan
    Johan----why do you attack me?
    I found this discussion,noticed issues on my machine and only wanted to inform everyone.
    Mike

I've installed the update a while ago and never noticed anything abnormal.

Greetings
    Tim
    Greetings
    Tim

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Quote Originally Posted by big-mike View Post
    Johan----why do you attack me?
    I found this discussion,noticed issues on my machine and only wanted to inform everyone.
    Mike
    Mike,

That post was definitely not intended to be an attack. I'm sorry and apologize if it came across that way.

There's a lot of scare mongering going on, don't be fooled by it.

Cheers,

Johan

people,

Windows updates go through a serious amount of checks. None of them are 100% fool proof, but most if not all are harmless. On the condition that you keep your machines up to date and healthy. That also means that all drivers of all elements and peripherals should be kept up to date. If one of those conditions is not fulfilled, you might run into problems.

Is that Microsoft's fault? No it isn't.

Beware of scare mongering or complot theories about Mickey$oft. I don't like them as a firm, I don't like their politics, but I work with their products for a living and I know that certain communities (Linux, Mac, Android) do their utmost to keep people scared of M$ updates. You know why? Because if you don't install the updates, you'll be vulnerable to attacks. And thereby the aforementioned communities prove their points.

If you have a windows based system, you have to abide by the rules. Rule number one is to keep your system up to date. Whatever other people tell you. Period.

If any M$ update slows your system down, then most likely some other part of your rig isn't up to date. Simple as that.

This post is not about an opinion, it is about 20+ years of experience in the sector. And no, I do not get paid by Mickey$oft at all.

Johan

I have noticed Windows 7 slow down after the monthly round of updates - for a little while. Once the OS has rebuilt its indexes, lookup tables, photo album, shopping lists, diary, whatever - all of which are done in the background - it goes back to its normal handy self. Behaviour like this is nothing new and very short-lived in my experience. The tinfoil is still in the drawer.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    people,

Windows updates go through a serious amount of checks. None of them are 100% fool proof, but most if not all are harmless. On the condition that you keep your machines up to date and healthy. That also means that all drivers of all elements and peripherals should be kept up to date. If one of those conditions is not fulfilled, you might run into problems.

Is that Microsoft's fault? No it isn't.

Beware of scare mongering or complot theories about Mickey$oft. I don't like them as a firm, I don't like their politics, but I work with their products for a living and I know that certain communities (Linux, Mac, Android) do their utmost to keep people scared of M$ updates. You know why? Because if you don't install the updates, you'll be vulnerable to attacks. And thereby the aforementioned communities prove their points.

If you have a windows based system, you have to abide by the rules. Rule number one is to keep your system up to date. Whatever other people tell you. Period.

If any M$ update slows your system down, then most likely some other part of your rig isn't up to date. Simple as that.

This post is not about an opinion, it is about 20+ years of experience in the sector. And no, I do not get paid by Mickey$oft at all.

Johan
    Well put I totally agree...

Creeps.

I must have won the jackpot as I have all four of them. I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary. I have used many versions of windows for a very long time and I never had one version which didn't act odd once in a while

Cheers,
    Huub

And this is why I've turned off automatic update installation.

I also have all 4 updates on my computer (Win 7 64), and there is no noticable effect :/

Members who have read this thread: 4