DCS Hornet Pre-Purchase
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DCS Hornet Pre-Purchase

DCS Hornet Pre-Purchase

**Pre Purchase Available **.

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet Available for Pre-Purchase!

Eagle Dynamics SA and Belsimtek are excited to announce that DCS: F/A-18C Hornet is now available for pre-purchase!

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet will be the most authentic and detailed simulation we have ever developed, and it will use our unique CFD engine and aerodynamics developed by Belsimtek to create the most realistic flight dynamics possible. Based on exhaustive research in association with Boeing, our Hornet takes advantage of our newly developed simulation engine and it will set a new benchmark for PC flight simulation.

The Hornet is a true multi-role fighter that can switch from attacking surface targets to engaging air targets with the press of a button. Equally at home on an aircraft carrier or airfield, the Hornet is equipped with a large suite of sensors that include radar, target pod, and a helmet mounted sight. In addition to its internal 20mm cannon, the Hornet can be armed with large assortment of unguided bombs and rockets, laser- and -GPS-guided bombs, air-to-surface missiles of all sorts, and both radar- and infrared-guided air-to-air missiles.

DCS World provides the most rich and authentic digital battlefield for the Hornet to fly in.

Key Features of DCS: F/A-18C Hornet:
    • Professional Flight Model (PFM) and authentic Flight Control System (FCS)
    • Realistic model of the F/A-18C, down to each bolt
    • Detailed simulation of the Hornet’s many systems like engines, fuel, electrical, hydraulic, radios, lighting, emergency, and many, many more
    • Inertial and GPS navigation systems with moving map display
    • Virtually all the weapons and sensors that a mid-2000s US Navy F/A-18C operates
    • Highly realistic cockpit that is mouse interactive
    • Spin recovery system
    • Authentic Hornet sounds with assistance from Boeing
    • New effects like over-wing vapor
    • Virtual Reality support
    • Multiple liveries

More screenshots

During the Early Access period, the following items will be added to DCS: F/A-18C Hornet:

• New and updated sensors to include air-to-ground radar, additional air-to-air radar modes, Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System (JHMCS), Link-16 Datalink, and targeting pod.
    • New weapons such as Harpoon, HARM, Shrike, Maverick, JSOW and SLAM, SLAM-ER missiles, Walleye, laser- and GPS-guided bombs, sea mines, fire bombs, TALD decoys, and AIM-9X and AIM-120 air-to-air missiles.
    • Additional display pages like the Situational Awareness, Flight Performance Advisory System, and Automatic Carrier Landing pages.

Pre-purchase now for $59.99 and save $20 from the Early Access release price of $79.99. We plan Early Access DCS: F/A-18C Hornet to be available for download by the end of Spring 2018.

Patrick

Trailer.

Patrick

Quick question, how long is the pre-purchase period?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+1, still trying to decide on a mobile gaming rig. At least all my VRS time will help in cranking the Hornet.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Pre-Purchase is as long as DCS determines that the Hornet takes to reach EA or Early Access point,That could be a month(usual Pre-purchase period) to end of Spring2018(worst case scenario )

Patrick

DCS "World" might be a viable option as a combat sim if it were a World rather than just some small pieces of the world! Why don't the developers focus on trying to create a true World ​scenery package rather than just extremely high priced aircraft with almost no where to fly them?

Quote Originally Posted by edakridge View Post
    DCS "World" might be a viable option as a combat sim if it were a World rather than just some small pieces of the world! Why don't the developers focus on trying to create a true World ​scenery package rather than just extremely high priced aircraft with almost no where to fly them?
    DCS World is an evolution of Flanker 1.0 back from 1994,It then went on to Flanker 2.0 and then to Lock On Modern Air Combat,2003.DCS(Eagle Dynamics) is a Russian Company who broke away from Ubisoft in The early Years before becoming their own company in 2008 with "DCS Black Shark"

Being a Russian based company their interest (and most likely Accessibility) has been focused on Easrern Block Maps and Aircraft. They changed that in 2010 with the release of The A-10C and a Training Map in Nevada(NTTR)That Map was then totally reworked and optimized to run a New Terrain engine called EDGE in 2015.

They then created a Map of Normandy France,The English Channel and a Partial section of England in 2017.
    Working now on a Map of "The Strait of Hormuz" which should be released this year.

I personally have been using Flight Simulation Software for the PC since 1996,I have had Combat Sims including Microsoft Combat Simulator I and II ,Mig Alley,B-17 Flying Fortress Mighty 8th,Mig-29,Jane's F-15 Strike Eagle,Jane's F/A-18 E SuperHornet ,Falcon 4.0,Enemy Engagded Hokum vs Apache among many,many others.

I have NEVER.....NEVER..... Used or saw a "Combat Sim" that modeled the "World"....I think this is unrealistic to do in a sim that has so much ground detail and textures,The Hard Drive Space let along the lag in multi-player would seal a certain death to the sim.
    Anyway,You're welcome to look at screenshots here or on DCSWorld.com of current and upcoming maps available .

Patrick

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Besides, there is FSX/P3D with the Tacpac addon (for employment of weapons etc.). The whole world, and cheaper aircraft, but with less detail. So I think we have a versatile, good quality, lower price option and a specialized, excellent quality but more expensive option. I am very satisfied with this situation.

I have tried DCS and found it lacking. It is not realistic at all to be able to only fly 100 or so miles before running out of "World", especially in an aircraft such as the Hornet. Another issue with me is the ridiculous prices for the aircraft. For what I would spend to buy the "Necessities" I could buy P3Dv4, Tacpack, and the Superbug twice over!

I have tried DCS and found it lacking. It is not realistic at all to be able to only fly 100 or so miles before running out of "World", especially in an aircraft such as the Hornet. Another issue with me is the ridiculous prices for the aircraft. For what I would spend to buy the "Necessities" I could buy P3Dv4, Tacpack, and the Superbug twice over!
    COOL.....Sounds Like You got it figured out,Thanks for your input .

Patrick

You can fly much further than 100 miles. No offense intended here; saying that it's "lacking" is a pretty broad brush to paint the product with. It lacks in a few areas, but more than makes up for it with quality in the remaining areas. The products are expensive because they are 99% complete aircraft in every way. If you move a switch, that system is modeled correctly. Very few glaring errors. It's not perfect, no sim or addon is, but it's very complete and gives this pilot the sense of actual flight. The only other addon in FS world that does the same feel for me is the Milviz F-100D. These aircraft have everything down to the lateral side load sway of the fuselage on the gear modeled when in a turn on the ground. A really neat feature that will debut with the Hornet is physical based wing vapor effect. Which will occur with the correct atmospheric conditions in real time. Not an effect based animation. The other thing I love about DCS, is how smooth it runs with incredible visuals. Clouds, and weather control is something I'm not a fan of at present, but it is getting worked on. I'm not moving away from P3Dv4 any time soon. I just bought the Hornet and Tacpack for it! But DCS is on the whole, the MOST realistic flying I've experienced on the PC. That's my opinion, and several other real world pilots, civilian and USAF included whom I actively fly with. We marvel some flights at how realistic the flying is, and how realistic the lighting and atmospherics are!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

That video is one of the most incredible
    things I have ever seen.
    I agree that you would need a supercomputer
    to run it if it covered the whole world.
    Not to mention,you would probably need a
    nuclear power station to run it.

Anthin.

Yeah! I just watched that video again, and now I think I NEED the Hornet . I was going to wait, considering I have modules I have only flown a couple of times, and that it takes a lot of time to get the most out of an aircraft; ie learn it's systems, weapons, tactics etc. The Hornet is such a classic though, and it looks like this will be the best model we have ever seen, and probably will be the best for years to come.

Regarding the overall detail in DSC World, it is a combat simulator. I am amazed at the amount of detail they have included. I quite often watch at an airfield, standing right next to the runway as planes or choppers are coming and going. The grass, weeds, and flowers, the sound of the wind, the sound of the aircraft all combine to give an unbelievable experience, especially in VR. I have been creating some simple practice missions lately, to learn how to do it and to train with some weapons, and a few weeks ago I "stood" next to the runway for about 20 minutes listening and waiting for the enemy Hinds to return to land, just to watch and listen. Whenever I fly the Black Shark, I will go through the entire shut down procedure, and wait for the rotors to stop turning without using the rotor brake, as I love the sound so much .

Then there is flying the aircraft!

Cheers,
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    You can fly much further than 100 miles. No offense intended here; saying that it's "lacking" is a pretty broad brush to paint the product with. It lacks in a few areas, but more than makes up for it with quality in the remaining areas. The products are expensive because they are 99% complete aircraft in every way.
    Well, lacking is maybe a bit harsh, but I'll defend his comments a bit -- the environment is 'limited in scope/scale'. Can we say that? Because we have world-class fidelity airplanes, and two or three little slivers of real estate over which to fly them. These guys need to get a proper SDK together for terrain/scenery, and then start outsourcing scenery/theater development to some talented third party dev teams. That's what is holding them back now more than anything.

Why the hell would I care about a Viggen when I cannot even fly it in Sweden? How many of them am I likely to encounter in Georgia or even in Nevada?

You build these crazy real airplanes that fly like the real deal, and then you ask me to pretend/imagine this plane flying in in some far-flung part of the world.... still fun, but way less compelling.

hazegraystudios.net

Quote Originally Posted by Ripcord View Post
    Well, lacking is maybe a bit harsh, but I'll defend his comments a bit -- the environment is 'limited in scope/scale'. Can we say that? Because we have world-class fidelity airplanes, and two or three little slivers of real estate over which to fly them. These guys need to get a proper SDK together for terrain/scenery, and then start outsourcing scenery/theater development to some talented third party dev teams. That's what is holding them back now more than anything.

Why the hell would I care about a Viggen when I cannot even fly it in Sweden? How many of them am I likely to encounter in Georgia or even in Nevada?

You build these crazy real airplanes that fly like the real deal, and then you ask me to pretend/imagine this plane flying in in some far-flung part of the world.... still fun, but way less compelling.
    I will continue this line of comment by saying, "you give me a great US Navy aircraft but no bases or LSO."

Yes, I would agree that the whole "maps" issue, is the biggest area that it lacks in... That is the elephant in the room if this sim. But, that said, the NTTR, hosts Red Flag which routinely hosts NATO countries and their aircraft for joint exercises. So most NATO aircraft are plausibly flown out Nellis AFB. You do not need a super computer to run the sim. That is the biggest plus about this sim. I get way better results in DCS than I do from P3D in my 5 year old machine. I run an AMD 8150 , 16gb RAM and and Gt
    X 770. I get solid 30 FPS with similar visuals as in the video.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Here's some detail from the settings I have on my 5 year old PC... Yes, the vehicles are all driving in the roads and high ways.

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

I pulled the trigger on the Hornet pre-purchase this evening. I am very much looking forward to getting this model and wringing it out.

Yeah, when it comes to flying world wide (just for the purpose of flying, P3Dv4 is the way to go (XP11 is arguably equal) but for my purposes, the DCS Nevada map is more than enough flying area for fast movers and is well packed with detail. What sets DCS apart is the aircraft model depth and general sim fidelity/smoothness. IMO, a sim user can't go wrong with either platform for whatever they feel like flying that particular day.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Couldn't agree more Storm! If feel the same way. This isn't a this or that, argument, it's inclusive. Both are fantastic for different reasons. But I do side with you about DCS for performance smoothness and a general study level depth to all aircraft.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    I pulled the trigger on the Hornet pre-purchase this evening. I am very much looking forward to getting this model and wringing it out.

Yeah, when it comes to flying world wide (just for the purpose of flying, P3Dv4 is the way to go (XP11 is arguably equal) but for my purposes, the DCS Nevada map is more than enough flying area for fast movers and is well packed with detail. What sets DCS apart is the aircraft model depth and general sim fidelity/smoothness. IMO, a sim user can't go wrong with either platform for whatever they feel like flying that particular day.
    Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Couldn't agree more Storm! If feel the same way. This isn't a this or that, argument, it's inclusive. Both are fantastic for different reasons. But I do side with you about DCS for performance smoothness and a general study level depth to all aircraft.

+1. Agreed. I was going to say as much in my post above but decided to edit my response to keep it about DCS World. As you guys say, each sim has it's own unique advantages, and simulators such as P3D and X-Plane are actually Earth simulators as much as flight simulators, which I personally love. Rise of Flight is the best sim if you want to fly and fight in WW1.

I enjoy all these sims equally, and consider myself very lucky to have so many different choices.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Full disclosure: I own a couple dollars worth of DCS content, most of which was not bought on sale.

I support their development efforts with my hard earned dollars. In full truth, I was amazed and very pleased to see their 2 civilian based products (will probably buy them both).

I agree completely that we are living in a fantastic era for our hobby in many ways. However, to prefer their simulator solely for performance is to prefer AeroFly FS as well. It is not a "wrong" position but it is a very limiting one.

After a consumer buys a dozen or so DCS modules, they would have spent enough money to buy upgrade hardware.

As Ripcord pointed out, it is Eagle Dynamics lack of openness in the development cycle that will ultimately limit their market share and their appeal.

As Ripcord pointed out, it is Eagle Dynamics lack of openness in the development cycle that will ultimately limit their market share and their appeal.
    Totally agree! When I was on the inside over at Milviz. this was brought up in the back channels and in the open. The roadblock was/is on DCS's end and they have had some high profile devs openly try to get involved only to be turned away or have unacceptable conditions put in place that more or less made the dev(s) back away. Had they been more open, that sim platform would be way ahead of where it is now. The math is simple, more available content, more $$$.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A bit more on topic DCS has disclosed a Pre- Purchase window for the Hornet in their weekly News Letter....
    "Last week we made DCS: F/A-18C Hornet available for pre-purchase and it has been a huge success for us. Thank you for the amazing support!Between April and the end of Spring 2018, we will release the Hornet into Early Access. For now though, pre-purchase and save 20$. Additionally, you will receive $19 in bonus points!
    Pre-purchase and save $20 in DCS E-Shop!"

Patrick

Yep, am really stoked about getting the Hornet, will be well worth the wait & money spent. Also wanted to ask, are they going to get the manual out early (as possible) to us pre-purchasers? The tutorial videos are great but I hope to get a head start on reading the manual before jumping in to the bird.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    Yep, am really stoked about getting the Hornet, will be well worth the wait & money spent. Also wanted to ask, are they going to get the manual out early (as possible) to us pre-purchasers? The tutorial videos are great but I hope to get a head start on reading the manual before jumping in to the bird.

Hello Storm,From Wags FAQ Hornet thread......

Q: Will the Hornet release with a manual?
    A: The Hornet will release with a Hornet Early Access Guide that will instruct you on how to fly and employ the aircraft. Once it is ready, we plan to release it early. As new features and functions are added during the Early Access phase, the guide will be updated to reflect this.
    Upon release of the final product, the full manual will be released.

He suggests getting a Copy of The F/A-18 NATOPS manual available here......
    https://publicintelligence.net/u-s-navy-f-18-natops-flight-manuals/

Patrick

Members who have read this thread: 0