I had a 1964 Beetle, very dependable, always started, even in sub zero temps. A buddy of mine has a 2006 VW Passat and he says it's one of the best autos that he's ever had. Wonder what will become of the gas powered VW's? Are they under the same scrutiny as the TDI diesel models? The whole bit could up like the original VW Beetle which is still available in Mexico, I believe. So you want a VW...? you have to go south of the Border to get one? If this incident was deliberate on VW's part then I agree with KellyB... the fullest extent of the law should apply. I don't see how it could have happened by accident.

If you want to talk mileage figures, I have a 1992 Toyota 4X4 pickup, it had 8 miles on it when I bought it new. It now has 173,000 and still runs like a top. It was rated at 18MPG in town and 25MPG on highway on the sticker, which I still have. The truck gets an impressive 23MPG in town, and about 30MPG highway. It has the 2.4 liter "22R" fuel injected 4 cylinder engine. So as far as what the sticker says and what the car gets in terms of MPG, my sticker fell short of the actual figures and the inaccuracy was in my favor. Regular tune-ups, premium fuel, scheduled oil changes and maintenance all play a part.

BB686