A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - Other

Description: Shessi Catalina mkI MLD revision by UncleTgt

This is a collection of modifications to turn Shessi's Catalina mkI into a Catalina as used by the Dutch MLD in the East Indies during the first few month's of the Pacific War. It uses the Catalina_mkI model file, all I've done is to rename this file to avoid problems in the sim should both aircraft be present at the same time. I've decided to upload as a complete aircraft to simplify the installation into the sim.

I've reduced the model shine for camoflage paints.

I've made the 2D panel bitmap WIN 7+ safe. The MLD Cats used metric instruments, so I've adapted the gauges to suit. I developed more appropriate payload options in the DP file, see the ordnance notes for which weapon packs were used.

A new airfile was developed, & optimised for AI & combat performance. The static CG was raised to ensure reliable on water starts.

The textures supplied are:

Y-70 In the delivery scheme, circa late NOV '41. Y-70 was on it's delivery flight, mid-way between Honolulu & Wake when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbour. It spent most of it's life ferrying VIPs across the Pacific, & was destroyed in the IJNAF attack on Broome Lake, 3rd March 1942.

Y-58 As war operations started, the crews quickly painted over the rudder & upper wing triangles. I've depicted Y-58 in such a scheme, typical of DEC '41. Y-58 was lost 11-JAN-42 whilst attacking a Japanese invasion fleet in transit to Kema, Celebes/Sulawesei.

Y-63 As the war progressed, most surviving aircraft further reduced the size of the fuselage triangles in an effort to further reduce their visibility. I've depicted Y-63 as such, typical of FEB '42. Y-63 was lost 27-FEB-42 whilst on patrol.

Y-67 The markings changed in late FEB '42, replacing the orange triangles with rectangular dutch flags. Y-67 is depicted in this scheme, how she would have looked when destroyed during the IJNAF attack on Broome Lake, 3rd March 1942.

To install, unzip the download to a temporary location & move/ copy files to the matching folder names inside your chosen CFS 2 install.

Thanks to

Shessi for his undoubted skill in bringing us a wide variety of aircraft for use in this old sim.
Alphasim for the original aircraft, developed originally for FS2004.
Allen for his DOSmdlc_2, making shine & mdl size changes possible in WIN7+
Arno Gerretsen for ModelconverterX, such a clever & versatile tool
Kelticheart for his prop bitmaps & exhaust effects.

This is freeware and subject to the usual conditions

UncleTgt
OCT 2021

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Shessi Catalina mkI MLD revision UT
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.