MDL Model File Formats

Thread: MDL Model File Formats

Threaded View

MDL Model File Formats

Quote Originally Posted by Aleatorylamp
    Update:
    It worked!
    Now gun barrels and muzzles are all rounder, including the sideguns, and it definitely looks better on the model, as can be seen in the screenshots. The .mdl file is now 72462 bytes.
    Hello Aleatorylamp,

Your note about the MDL file size had me wondering.
    I understand there is probably no direct correlation between the MDL file size and the Data Size of the SCASM code, but I would imagine they are probably somewhat related.

I was very surprised that the file size was so small.
    Attached is a screenshot of a directory listing of the MODEL directory of the A6M2 I had been working on recently.
    This is just after the Center of Gravity shift and before the latest additions which were only on my Development Machine.
    For some reason, I had an old copy of the Aeroplane on my Laptop.

It only went through Aircraft Animator once, thus the NMP file is the original file size as generated by Aircraft Factory 99.
    The actual file size is 71680 Bytes.
    The output from Aircraft Animator presumably was Aircraft Animator 133K format because I do not believe it would have fit in a 64K format.
    I never had to switch model formats after that.

The MDL file size in the directory is 136192 Bytes. The size of the Backup file is meaningless because it is really just an intermediate save as I was making edits to the SCX file and thought there might be a possibility of screwing things up with the changes.

For the Virtual Cockpit View, additional CALL or CALL32 do increase the Data Length, but not by much (just a few bytes).
    In the case of all the Japanese A6M, the Canopy Frame is very heavy in terms of Polygon Count and it is just as large when it is flipped inside out and added to the end of the SCX file to be called by the VC view.
    There were no problems adding the internal Canopy Frame.

If you are still following the set of instructions for relocating the V-Cockpit that I sent to you, we are both probably using the same versions of tools for SCASM:

MdlDisAs version 2.01
    SCASM version 2.96

The only real difference that I can see is that we were running on different Operating Systems: I was using Windows 98 SR2.

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DirectoryListing.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0