Coral and dirt runway textures
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coral and dirt runway textures

Coral and dirt runway textures

Hi Everyone.

The stock runway textures have been driving me crazy for as long as I remember. I'm not much of a painter, but I decided to give it a shot. So far, I am pleased with the results, but I'm looking for some no BS feedback.. Once I'm satisfied I will gladly upload them for everyone else. I had to increase the size of the textures to get more detail. Unfortunately, they don't look much better from the ground, but the texture would have to be 10,000 pixels squared to accomplish that. Lol. The coral needs more detail, but it's a start. Thanks for taking a look and for the feedback.

ShpHawK
    Chuck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails coral1.jpg   dirt1.jpg   dirt2.jpg  

shphawk.....I like both, but especially the dirt field. The coral in CFS2 has always seemed too bright to me, but then I've never actually seen a coral strip. It's just that some of the color pictures seem to reflect a grayish/white tint. For all I know there may be a number of color variations at the numerous airfields around the south Pacific.

runway textures

Looking good -- I'd certainly take them -- now if someone could just do a halfway decent tex for a psp ( pierced steel plate ) runway

baldy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

baldy's stuff at:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...rid=480&sort=d

Both are improvements, especially the dirt. I would suggest making the worn track down the center of the dirt wider, like 75%-80% of the runway but otherwise, very nice. Like Baldy said, the psp texture is the worst of all of the stock runways, but that one will be a real bear to get looking right.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Not likeing the dirt. The coral looks too ruff.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Worthless View Post
    shphawk.....I like both, but especially the dirt field. The coral in CFS2 has always seemed too bright to me, but then I've never actually seen a coral strip. It's just that some of the color pictures seem to reflect a grayish/white tint. For all I know there may be a number of color variations at the numerous airfields around the south Pacific.
    Thanks Worthless. I agree that they seem very bright. It's difficult to find pics of a coral runway. When I search I found Honolulu which has a coral threshold, or able runway which looks gray. None of the pictures show enough detail. If you or anyone else has better pics, I'll see what I can do. Thanks again.

Chuck

Blog Entries

If you attach here the PSP bmp....

Quote Originally Posted by shphawk View Post
    Thanks Worthless. I agree that they seem very bright. It's difficult to find pics of a coral runway. When I search I found Honolulu which has a coral threshold, or able runway which looks gray. None of the pictures show enough detail. If you or anyone else has better pics, I'll see what I can do. Thanks again.

Chuck
    I know I can do it... I did it before for someone in CFS 3...

G.

Quote Originally Posted by baldy View Post
    Looking good -- I'd certainly take them -- now if someone could just do a halfway decent tex for a psp ( pierced steel plate ) runway

baldy
    I just might give it a shot. There is plenty of pics to go from. Thanks Baldy.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kurt View Post
    Both are improvements, especially the dirt. I would suggest making the worn track down the center of the dirt wider, like 75%-80% of the runway but otherwise, very nice. Like Baldy said, the psp texture is the worst of all of the stock runways, but that one will be a real bear to get looking right.
    Thanks Capt. I appreciate the feedback. I'll see what happens. What do you guys think the absolute max texture size should be? I had to go 1024 x 1024 just to get the detail that I have. For the psp to look right, I may have to double that.

Chuck

Blog Entries

This is what it should look like...

Thanks Capt. I appreciate the feedback. I'll see what happens. What do you guys think the absolute max texture size should be? I had to go 1024 x 1024 just to get the detail that I have. For the psp to look right, I may have to double that.

Chuck
    Like I said... if you post the tile... I can make the texture...

to wit:

This shows the PSP superimposed on a grass background... the texture is without grass...

G.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mardsen PSP.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Not likeing the dirt. The coral looks too ruff.
    Hi Allen. Thanks for the feedback. It's difficult to get decent detail The runway is such a big object even with a 1024x1024 texture, I am right on the verge of everything looking pixelated. I'm still working on the coral. I will post more pics soon.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by gaucho_59 View Post
    Like I said... if you post the tile... I can make the texture...

to wit:

This shows the PSP superimposed on a grass background... the texture is without grass...

G.
    Sorry for taking so long to reply. Thanks to a drunk driver, I spent most of the evening without power. Here you go.

Chuck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails runway66.jpg  

Hi Allen. Thanks for the feedback. It's difficult to get decent detail The runway is such a big object even with a 1024x1024 texture, I am right on the verge of everything looking pixelated. I'm still working on the coral. I will post more pics soon.

Chuck
    Your never going to get the ground/runway to look good at ground level. It is just too large. If you get it looking okay at ground level it will look bad at Altitude.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Your never going to get the ground/runway to look good at ground level. It is just too large. If you get it looking okay at ground level it will look bad at Altitude.
    True that. I'm uploading another coral pic. I haven't softened it yet, but I added some detail. It helps, I need to work on the color. I'm attaching a pic of North Field on Tinian. It looks almost gray. After doing this, my hats off to the guys at MS for accomplishing what they did with the PSP texture being only 256x256.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails able1.jpg   coral3.jpg  

Blog Entries

Can you make it available for download?

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Thanks to a drunk driver, I spent most of the evening without power. Here you go.

Chuck
    Your attachment, I am afraid I am too dumb to kow how to download it...
    can you make a zip file of it and place like you did the picture? As it is,
    I cannot even see it full size... The detail in my version would still be
    the same or nearly the same at 256 colors... it really does not use too many colors at all...

I am really interested in producing something nice... the stock PSP textures in the sim suck!
    BTW... your coral job really looks good!

Thanks in advance...
    G.

P.S.: also, please mark somehow what each of those perforated looking represent... I see a long longitudinal and 2 small horizontal...
    what are they.. also.. the grey background... what does it do? I can produce a relatively, HIGHLY detailed 256 color tile...
    am pretty good with PSP x8 and Photoshop...

the same or nearly the same at 256 colors... it really does not use too many colors at all...

I am really interested in producing something nice... the stock PSP textures in the sim suck!

Thanks in advance...
    G.

P.S.: also, please mark somehow what each of those perforated looking represent... I see a long longitudinal and 2 small horizontal...
    what are they.. also.. the grey background... what does it do? I can produce a relatively, HIGHLY detailed 256 color tile...
    Thanks Gaucho. I will zip it and post it as soon as I am on my computer again. That might be this evening. I can't wait to see what you come up with. I'll explain everything in a text inside the zip.

ShpHawK
    Chuck

Here you go shphawk. This is the best I could find.

Looking great guys,

I attempted many years back and gave up, The steal mesh
    will be something that is much needed.

Thumbs up to all of you helping with this project.

Dave
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

Quote Originally Posted by Worthless View Post

Here you go shphawk. This is the best I could find.

Thanks again Worthless. The first time I saw the color, I thought people would complain if I went that dark. I think I'm going to make a couple of different versions. I actually thought that replacing some of the runways wouldn't be that hard. Then I could add a few more different textures. I'll keep posting screens. Thanks again for the photo.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by No Dice View Post
    Looking great guys,

I attempted many years back and gave up, The steal mesh
    will be something that is much needed.

Thumbs up to all of you helping with this project.

Dave
    Thanks Mr. No Dice.

Thanks in advance...
    G.

Better late than never. Here you go man. I cant wait to see. Anything else I can do, let me know.

Chuck
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries

Here's a preliminary...

Better late than never. Here you go man. I cant wait to see. Anything else I can do, let me know.

Chuck
    here it is superimposed on the bmp you sent...

Let me know what you think... I can attach the file if you want to test it...

G.

To wit:

here it is superimposed on the bmp you sent...

Let me know what you think... I can attach the file if you want to test it...

G.

To wit:

It looks great. I would love to test it and play with the alpha channel. We may need a couple variations. I'm going to try to modify a couple of the default runways to take a different texture so that we can add a few extra textures. Thanks again Gaucho. Really nice work.

Chuck

Blog Entries
    It looks great. I would love to test it and play with the alpha channel. We may need a couple variations. I'm going to try to modify a couple of the default runways to take a different texture so that we can add a few extra textures. Thanks again Gaucho. Really nice work.

Chuck
    No problem... will post
    G.

Blog Entries

Here it is!

Let me know how it works...
    Cheers,

G.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Members who have read this thread: 0