Windows 10 users, time to be helpful...

Thread: Windows 10 users, time to be helpful...

Windows 10 users, time to be helpful...

Hello guys,

As my avatar clearly hint at, I'm a CFS1 "die-hard", and for that very purpose, I created a "fix" for W7 and up OSes to help those sharing my passion to continue playing it.

Today, I received a private message;

Hello ,
    downloaded your fix for the above, you say find the exe file ,backup and replace with fix.
    the problem is that when I open the file there is no exe file.
    could you suggest what to look for instead please.
    I`m not over techy so could you tell me how to backup the exe file.
    Not able send a screen shot of the open file as I cant see an attatchment button.
    I know the request is vague but would be obliged for any help you can give me.
    regards
    (name omitted)
    I don't have W10, only W7 and my main PC is out of order. I'm typing this plea for your help from my wife's Vista machine. I'm pretty sure that the problem lies with "hidden files, folders and programs" settings or, alternately, to administrator permission, but not knowing how to get there on W10 I feel quite useless.

I could try helping, but I would prefer that someone who knows exactly what to do would step-up.

So,please, try to be helpful and right. I'm confident that SOH community can raise to the challenge.

Hubbabubba thanks you in advance on behalf of my undisclosed PMer. (and me, eventually when I get W10 )
    Torture numbers and they'll say anything.

Hubbabubba, Touche à tout.

Members +
    Ok, here goes,
    To show hidden files in Windows 10
    Open 'File Explorer'
    Tat the top of the page, you will see the following tabs: File, Home, Share, View.
    Click View.. This will now open a ribbon of stuff, with a 'Hidden Items' tick box near the right side of the window. This needs to be ticked.

For Admin rights, you can right-click the game's desktop icon & 'Run as Admin'.

To backup the exe, or anything else..
    Either right-click the icon & rename it to, for example, from CFS1.exe to CFS1bak.exe OR Cut the .exe & paste it into another directory as a backup. (Remember where you pasted it, just in case you want to put it back.

Not knowing as to what needs to be backed up, or where it is, I'm assuming it is in the games default directory, & this is where the 'Fix' should be copied & pasted into.

Hope this helps, & I hope, from reading what you are asking, that all is good.

Cheers,
    Robin

(...)Not knowing as to what needs to be backed up, or where it is, I'm assuming it is in the games default directory, & this is where the 'Fix' should be copied & pasted into.(...)
    Thanks zswobbie1

My "fix" consist in a new COMBATFS.exe that has to be put in place of the original one so that the game could recognize the path where flight controls (stick, yoke, throttle, pedals, etc...) are now. The backing-up of the original COMBATFS.exe and COMBATFS.cfg (that was created if the game was played) is simply a "what if" precaution.

I created it for 64 bits systems (some Vista, XP, W7 and, apparently, the following ones) so that they would have control over their controls, so to speak.

I also made my own research on the subject and found THIS.
    Torture numbers and they'll say anything.

Hubbabubba, Touche à tout.

Members who have read this thread: 0