Flickering Bomb Craters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flickering Bomb Craters

Flickering Bomb Craters

I have always had this problem of flickering craters, sometimes they never show. Anyone found a fix?

If I player other older pc games from the mid to late 90's they do the game thing..

Could this be the game using direct draw problem? Something that newer cards don't support?

ETO? How do I install it? Download Links? HERE Horizontal lines at menu after installing ETO? - FIX - choose a wingman, plane, then try quick mission.I found this config setup ArgonV posted at simhq, works good HERE Graphics card updates change your game settings? With error? Ankor's Shader fixes it HERE Nvidia HERE

If you are using Ankor's shaders, that is one of the bugs. Otherwise they should be working fine.

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    If you are using Ankor's shaders, that is one of the bugs. Otherwise they should be working fine.
    I've always had that problem with CFS2 as well. There may be a solution. Since I've started working with Gmax I've found that the ground polys made by it don't have this problem. It could be the that we add this to the material "ZBIAS_9_DAMAGE" and the polys sit just a wisker above the ground. It may be worth redoing them in this manor. Just a thought.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    I've always had that problem with CFS2 as well. There may be a solution. Since I've started working with Gmax I've found that the ground polys made by it don't have this problem. It could be the that we add this to the material "ZBIAS_9_DAMAGE" and the polys sit just a wisker above the ground. It may be worth redoing them in this manor. Just a thought.
    Wow now there's a thought . I love learning new stuff.

I had big problems with craters in one install. There were heavy straight lines emanating radially from each crater, looked ugly. The possible explanation was that I had tinkered with the effects.xml. I had set things up so that crater_25 was embedded in the effect group "groundexpl_m". This to me was a simple solution so that with aircraft crashes, and all the other medium explosions in the CFS3 world, there would be a crater.

Trouble is I did not entirely eliminate duplicate events that triggered craters. For example all the shells have a crater of some sort in their weapon xdp file. Hence I think the wierd artifacts were due to a duplicate triggering of the crater decal.

Hope I've stayed on topic,

looks on topic to me...

Are the craters part of the model? Or are they called in the xdp? If its the latter then my idea would work. Other wise without the source files it wouldn't.

Starbage1,

Now that I've re-read your post, It could be a draw issue. What texture format are the craters in?
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

I recall my shaders have been causing flickering craters in WOFF, but I fixed it some time ago (and the fixed version was definitely released in one of the WOFF 2.x patches, maybe even in the initial WOFF 2.0).
    However I don't remember what exactly was the problem and what was the fix. All I can say is that z-bias in CFS3 works in quite weird way, for me it would have been easier if it wasn't there at all.

It happens without using ankor shader as well.. As I stated before, it happens in other older pc games and believe it is a direct draw problem which cards don't support anymore. The fix may be a graphics tweak.

ETO? How do I install it? Download Links? HERE Horizontal lines at menu after installing ETO? - FIX - choose a wingman, plane, then try quick mission.I found this config setup ArgonV posted at simhq, works good HERE Graphics card updates change your game settings? With error? Ankor's Shader fixes it HERE Nvidia HERE

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    Are the craters part of the model? Or are they called in the xdp? If its the latter then my idea would work. Other wise without the source files it wouldn't.

Starbage1,

Now that I've re-read your post, It could be a draw issue. What texture format are the craters in?
    I'd be willing to bet the crater dds texture is DXT1. In the objects folder I don't recall if craters have an m3d or if they only have and xdp file and a texture. I seem to remember searching for an xdp entry I could use to make the craters "rough". For example, runways can have various entries for ground surfaces so I thought I could add a surface texture descriptor to the crater xdp. Somthing like "long grass" might do the trick. The idea is to make aircraft and vehicles treat craters like rougher terrain not a billiard smooth surface.

Starbage1, have you tried tweaking zbias in the config after what Ankor had to say? You are probably right about it needing some sort of graphics tweak.

No but I will now Z Bias has a ton of options, and no legend like the rest of the config program.. no this does that..

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by starbage1 View Post
    No but I will now Z Bias has a ton of options, and no legend like the rest of the config program.. no this does that..
    IIRC there was a post in a WOFF forum that included some zbias settings that I really liked. When I am on my CFS3 rig I will try to remember to dig it up.... otherwise some diligent searching might come up trumps...

Daiwilletti, I'd be interested in seeing those settings too. Ankor, I am using the latest version of the WOFF shaders and the crater is still flickering. Perhaps it's a settings issue on my end?

SOH-CM-2020
    Daiwilletti, I'd be interested in seeing those settings too. Ankor, I am using the latest version of the WOFF shaders and the crater is still flickering. Perhaps it's a settings issue on my end?
    I've only recently started to modify the zbias settings in cfsconfig. The first time I did it I remember being surprised how good the improvement was. I will definitely dig up a couple of different sources for you to compare. I am not confident that my current zbias settings are the WOFF ones so I will go back to the source material.

I tried messing with Z bias a while ago and here's where I ended up:

<ZBiasBitsResolution val="15"/>
    <ZBiasTerrainDecal val="0"/>
    <ZBiasWaterPolyNear val="1"/>
    <ZBiasWaterPolyFar val="0"/>
    <ZBiasWaterLineNear val="1"/>
    <ZBiasWaterLineFar val="0"/>
    <ZBiasFlatEffects val="1"/>
    <ZBiasShadow val="0"/>
    <ZBiasTerrainAlphaNear val="0"/>
    <ZBiasTerrainAlphaFar val="0"/>
    <ZBiasObject val="0"/>
    <ZBiasObjectFar val="0"/>
    <ZBiasEffects val="1"/>
    <ZBiasClouds val="1"/>

If I took the bits resolution above 15 bad things started to happen.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

SOH-CM-2020
    Thanks, Major will give it a try.

Here is a z-bias config from January 2005 *cough* <over 10 years ago> mumble

<ZBiasBitsResolution val="15"/>
    <ZBiasTerrainDecal val="0"/>
    <ZBiasWaterPolyNear val="1"/>
    <ZBiasWaterPolyFar val="28"/>
    <ZBiasWaterLineNear val="1"/>
    <ZBiasWaterLineFar val="32"/>
    <ZBiasFlatEffects val="25"/>
    <ZBiasShadow val="0"/>
    <ZBiasTerrainAlphaNear val="0"/>
    <ZBiasTerrainAlphaFar val="12"/>
    <ZBiasObject val="0"/>
    <ZBiasObjectFar val="18"/>
    <ZBiasEffects val="1"/>
    <ZBiasClouds val="1"/>

I don't recall the origin of this set. But IIRC it works quite well.

Setting ZBiasTerrainDecal to 1 fixed it for me, and still using the the WOFF 2.0 shaders.

SOH-CM-2020
    Here's an interesting bit from an earlier post by Ankor:

From Ankor in bump mapping thread 1-2-15

Bomb craters flicker

"Try changing ZBiasFlatEffects. For WOFF we set it to 1.
    By the way, I feel that ZBiasBitsResolution set to 15 is not correct since we are using high resolution z buffer (even if it is not selected in cfs3config, my shaders force it). I think it should be set to 23 or 24 ."

SOH-CM-2020

High Resolution Z Buffer

The Z buffer is a setting right on the first page of cfs3config. Don't know how it relates to the z-bias settings, but here is a thread from 2007:

":*Sent:* Tuesday, 13 November 2007 10:26 a.m.

*Subject:* Hi Res z buffer

High Resolution Z Buffer

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most people turn off either the Dual Pass Render, or the High Resolution
    Z-Buffer; for a time I had both ON, but now I turn off Dual Pass, and
    leave on High Res Z-Buffer. But, if you play the game in 32 bit
    resolution, why have the default Z-Buffer to be set at 15 bits? You
    might as welll set it the same as the screen resolution. So, turn the
    Z-Bias up to 1 bit less than your screen resolution colour depth (31
    bits for 32 Bit colour).

In CFSConfig, open custom settings, and open Texture Info tab, and
    change the Index Buffer and Vertex buffer sizes to maximum (65536), and
    index cache size to 64. I have a 3.0 GHz, dual core processor, with 2 GB
    of DDR 400 RAM, and a Radeon 9550, 256 MB card. It helped my game
    performance immensely.

by /MOG Meaty/"

Obviously things have changed a lot in terms of technology since then. Majormagee has already reported that he has problems with the gauges showing with a z-buffer set at over 15 bits. So its horses for courses, something to experiment with.

SOH-CM-2020

Z-bias a la Groundcrew Design

Back to examples of z-bias settings, I've just remembered the Groundcrew display settings guide has on its final page an image of their recommended z-bias settings. Mrjmaint's website is kindly hosting the Groundcrew stuff.

Just quickly, their numbers are 22,0,1,0,1,0,25,0,0,0,0,0,1,1 (final one being zbias clouds).

Thanks, this is helping. While we're talking about z bias things, does anyone know how to fix this issue on the horizon? Happens in CFS3 and WOFF.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shot12-05-15-17-11-39.jpg  

SOH-CM-2020
    Thanks, this is helping. While we're talking about z bias things, does anyone know how to fix this issue on the horizon? Happens in CFS3 and WOFF.
    Hi Gecko, can you explain what the issue is? That scenery looks pretty good to me

The mountains above the horizon line look transparent because the light from the rising sun is drawn in front of it.

played around with zbias didn't do anything to crater, but noticed if I set bits to an extreme the aircraft would be see through.

The mountains above the horizon line look transparent because the light from the rising sun is drawn in front of it.
    I think what you are seeing is a lighting issue. Or better yet the game trying to simulate the sun rise.

If you have ever watched the sun rise in the mountains it will give that effect until the sun finally peeks over. Its an illusion of our eyes I believe.

http://landscapelook.com/most-beauti...ns-background/

You see it in this pic where the suns rays just crest the mountain.

So I think that is what CFS3 is trying to render. Thats just a guess. It may be an intended result. If it happens for longer than a few seconds then it may be something else.

It's a colored version of the grey band on the horizon that has always plagued CFS3. AnKor was able to improve and eventually fix it in the work he was doing for WOFF, but I don't think the final version made it into CFS3. I believe it has to do with how the atmospheric mist that thickens with distance and thins with altitude is displayed versus where the edge of the solid terrain surface is rendered.

If you flip through the screenshot gallery you'll find clear examples in about 15% of the images where the altitude, viewing angle, and weather conditions really make it stand out.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I just had an issue crop up with AnKor's shadows in the UI screen crawling away from the aircraft like disembodied ghosts. I think it may be related to the newer Nvidia drivers that have been trying to address the various screen flickering issues they've encountered since they added support for the 3000 series GPUs. In any event, I tried a lot of different things with various settings to no particular effect until I raised the ZBiasBitsResolution from 15 to 16. There was still some flickering, but at least is stayed under the aircraft casting the shadow. 24 was about the same as 16. 32 stopped the flickering, but made some of the buildings and the ocean disappear, and 8 let distant objects show through each other and the nearby terrain.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Members who have read this thread: 0