For FS9 Gmax Users - Create a Basic VC with Gauges in 15 Min

Thread: For FS9 Gmax Users - Create a Basic VC with Gauges in 15 Min

Hybrid View

For FS9 Gmax Users - Create a Basic VC with Gauges in 15 Min

Video: For FS9 (and FS8) - Creating a Basic VC Panel and Displaying Gauges in Less than 15 Minutes

by Milton Shupe

The very basic video describes the process necessary to create a basic VC panel with displaying gauges.

For the beginning modeler who has an Exterior model and wants to create a VC.

Video Length: 15 minutes

Many budding new modelers ask how to do this simple process and there is precious little around focused just on this process.
    So, here you have it in a brief 15 minute video.

It starts with an Exterior Model, adds the VC planars, maps, textures, creates an Interior VC model, exports, and shows the model in FS9.
    It also shows the required entries in the panel.cfg.

It's quick and simple, once you know how.

Hope this helps get you started.

YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC3By8GNM7k

Download version: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...8&linkid=20557
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2015-nov-26-001.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2015-nov-26-002.jpg  
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; December 22nd, 2016 at 16:58.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Thanks very much for this video! I'm planning to make a VC for an FSX model, will this procedure work in FSX?
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by bdf369 View Post
    Thanks very much for this video! I'm planning to make a VC for an FSX model, will this procedure work in FSX?
    I was hoping an FSX native modeler would answer this question but I see that is not going to happen until I step in it.

So, with some caveats, the basic procedure is the same for FSX models but the mapping material options are more sophisticated especially regarding gauge back lighting.

Also, there are many options in FS9 and FSX to do much better 3D gauges rather than using flat 2D gauges as I have in this example.

If you use 3D gauges, essentially you do not need the added planar for the panel background, just the gauge faces.

You can setup a material (one or more) to contain all the gauge faces used in the 3D bezels or faces behind the panel/gauge holes in the panel face.

Fr. Bill has detailed such options in his white paper that you may find at FSDeveloper.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I can't get the Vid to play as it seem to need somthing better than my old XP has but I'm going to guess this is tell you how to use bitmaps that start with “$” or “_panel_” ?
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Allen,

I have converted the video to WMA (a windows media audio/video format) so hopefully you can view it. Uploading now to my Dropbox.

EDIT: I have uploaded the video to YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC3By8GNM7k
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; December 22nd, 2016 at 16:48.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

That is more or less what I have been doing for years and it works in CFS2 just fine as well.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    I was hoping an FSX native modeler would answer this question but I see that is not going to happen until I step in it.

So, with some caveats, the basic procedure is the same for FSX models but the mapping material options are more sophisticated especially regarding gauge back lighting.

Also, there are many options in FS9 and FSX to do much better 3D gauges rather than using flat 2D gauges as I have in this example.

If you use 3D gauges, essentially you do not need the added planar for the panel background, just the gauge faces.

You can setup a material (one or more) to contain all the gauge faces used in the 3D bezels or faces behind the panel/gauge holes in the panel face.

Fr. Bill has detailed such options in his white paper that you may find at FSDeveloper.
    Thanks very much, this is an enormous help. I found Fr. Bill's paper and will take a look, I'm still messing with animations but look forward to making a VC.

For playing some less common video formats I find this program works really well: https://mpc-hc.org/.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by bdf369 View Post
    Thanks very much, this is an enormous help. I found Fr. Bill's paper and will take a look, I'm still messing with animations but look forward to making a VC.

For playing some less common video formats I find this program works really well: https://mpc-hc.org/.
    Thank you; I hope the video is helpful to show the basics required to get the VC started.

I will check out this player; looks interesting. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thank you so much for this tutorial, this made quick work of the panel I've been kicking around for over a year. And I never used lithunwrap before, this is going to make texturing so much easier. I may actually finish the Fox this year.
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

Members who have read this thread: 0