Inspired by A2A Piper Cherokee - Page 20
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Inspired by A2A Piper Cherokee

well I'm glad you have enjoyed the builds so far - Thank You for the encouragement Manfred !

Speaking of the DC-3 - I have acquired the Guillow 1/32 scale balsa model recently and plan to do the Western Airlines livery - it
    was my favorite for the DC-3 you had made for FSX

The decals were made for me by Callie Graphics and she can literally do any livery in any scale you like - Callie Graphics (callie-graphics.com)
    I plan to add LED lights to it and make the gear operable.

That build will begin when I complete the P-47
    I started this thread before the pandemic when I was involuntarily retired from my job of 35 years - Ageism is real folks..
    Then, after the scourge began I started the youtube channel and worked on these more recent kits - I think the Air Express was in mid production at that time - to stay upbeat
    and to have a daily distraction from the news.
    The most recent balsa kit - the P-47 project got stalled when I lost motivation..it comes and goes and is hard at times to maintain. It has been a year since I worked on it much.
    about 2 months ago I decided to see if I could 'prime the pump' with a couple of plastic builds and since I have American Truck Sim and had always been a fan of the COE style trucks
    I bought a few of those. Then the motorcycles.
    Now I think its just about time to get back on the Jug and get 'er done.
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

final pics of the plastic Grumman Gulfhawk -

not a terrific outcome for me - but I will be able to use it for reference (panel lines, compartment and inspection covers) on the balsa project later
    enter..the Sandman

so - R series Mack trucks..

my grandson loves these big trucks - so what can I say but 'sure kid - here ya go'
    enter..the Sandman

fitting this one together is tricky - between the lifting fenders, the clamshell hood, and the plumbing to connect the intake and exhaust parts to the engine, frame and cab it's going to be a ride

enter..the Sandman

moving along..

these semi truck tractor projects don't often run smoothly - so many fit issues, parts quality issues, etc that getting a proper build done is almost a miracle.
    This product of MPC / Round2 is another example of that.
    I have the major components of the build complete, all that's left is to add the little final details - badges, latches, hand rails and mirrors.

It'll likely be finished completely later today or tomorrow
    enter..the Sandman

the idea on this build was to recreate a MATS or Mid-Atlantic Truck Show style of restored and polished 'classic' semi tractor truck from the 'old school' - and not a working or worn out example..

enter..the Sandman

Great job I use to drive one of these old Flintstone Macks back in the mid seventies
    MB Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master CPU i7 12700K @4.6 GHz GPU Gigabyte RTX 3080ti Cooler Noctua NH-U15 with 2 fans RAM 32MB Corsair DDR5 Vengeance 5200MHz Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Watt Case Thermaltake level 20 xt Windows 11 64 bit Thrustmaster HOTAS warthog stick and throttle Thrustmaster TPR pendular rudder pedals

Nice - that's a perfect frame of reference for these DM series Macks - Fred would appreciate it for sure lol
    enter..the Sandman

I have to ask who makes these models I would love to get one ?
    MB Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master CPU i7 12700K @4.6 GHz GPU Gigabyte RTX 3080ti Cooler Noctua NH-U15 with 2 fans RAM 32MB Corsair DDR5 Vengeance 5200MHz Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Watt Case Thermaltake level 20 xt Windows 11 64 bit Thrustmaster HOTAS warthog stick and throttle Thrustmaster TPR pendular rudder pedals

Quote Originally Posted by musterpilot View Post
    I have to ask who makes these models I would love to get one ?
    I bought them all from this shop but you can probably find them closer to home John
    https://www.hobbylinc.com/semi-plast...:20-1:29-scale
    most are AMT but a few are MPC
    Revell and Italeri also make good semi truck kits
    enter..the Sandman

Thanks mate just googled it double the price over here never mind I will still get one

yes the hobby has grown in two important ways - first is the incredible actual growth of the hobby reflected across the board by the sudden abundance of new plastic kits from old and new mfgs alike...along with new subject matter as well within each line catalog.
    the same is true for balsa and RC kits including the foamies.
    Unfortunately the other growth has been the in rising unit costs of most of these products as well as in the peripherals like paints, adhesives, tapes, and similar.

In the short three years or so that I've been running the Heywood Planes channel kits costs have nearly doubled and are still rising. It has caused me to slow down a bit on the balsa kits especially.
    Right now the cost of the materials I would typically use to finish just one balsa display kit costs much more than the kit itself.

I can say it has had the effect of making me much more circumspect when it comes to choosing what to buy and reduced how many projects I can afford to build in a fiscal year lol
    enter..the Sandman

It is the way things are going at the moment and I don't see it getting any better one of the reasons I stopped flying R/C models the prices are way out of hand now

I've done a little work on the P-47D project in the last couple of days...
    The wing is completely sheeted on the bottom as are the flaps - I'll need to infill the wing upper surface leaving just a few
    openings to access the flap hinges until most of the sanding and sizing is done. It feels good to be back on task. I guess we'll see if it lasts -
    I'm optimistic about getting this one completed though - now that it's back in mind and on the bench
    enter..the Sandman

ok - there's a LOT of work to do to make this look like a proper P-47 wing - heavy sanding and shaping, not to mention the entire upper surface still needs to be infilled.
    Landing gear struts and wheels need to be fabricated, the gear wells need to be detailed and the main gear doors need to be made and fitted to the struts.

Not a lot to say or write out - but a lot to DO to make it happen.

Then there's still more fuselage work to do as well - along with the tail surfaces. This one is far from home yet. Paint and markings, panel lines and weathering...all in the distance still.
    And then there are the other projects still in their boxes - like the one in my sig below - the Sandman is coming
    enter..the Sandman

I have settled on the paint scheme for this model

it's been a while since I have done a checkered cowling but I'm willing to take a run at it on this project.
    enter..the Sandman

slow and steady work - this was a couple of days ago..
    enter..the Sandman

Icon14

Looking good a lot of work there

I have resumed posting build videos of the P-47 project at Heywood Planes channel on YT - for those interested in that sort of thing.
    the link is in my sig, below
    enter..the Sandman

only the trailing edge, wingtips and flaps left to infill
    enter..the Sandman

Checking the fit to the fuselage - still many hours of work to do on the wings yet..
    https://i.imgur.com/ptmRuxK.jpg
    enter..the Sandman

Members who have read this thread: 23