Flight Altitude

Thread: Flight Altitude

Flight Altitude

Hi

Interested to know the "default" height you all fly at. AGL not ASL. After a bit of loose analysing of my flights over the last couple of months I realise that I hardly ever go over 10,000ft, Virtually never above 20,000 and seem to spend most of my time at between 150ft (this does lead to the occasional 0ft excursion) and 2500ft. I cruise at about 1000ft most of the time looking at the scenery I spent so much money on (All Orbyx). The last few days it has been NZSI, but before that Norway, Alaska and the Pacific North West area. Also since buying the world (FTX Global) I have spent some time in the Med. I love island hopping.
    So, do you spend your time cruising at 30,000 flying over everything or at 1500 flying around things?

Cheers
    Paul

For me it depends on what I am flying and where I am flying to. Most flights are fairly low but if I am flying a warbird on a longer flight or doing a long flight in a jet then I will go high in order to get the maximum speed.
    Larry

I like to stay at least 2-3000ft above ground level at a minimum. Much depends upon what I am flying and where. Like TK, on long flights, I go up high for speed and range.

I'm flying high performance singles and twin engine turboprops. 4-8000ft usually for the singles and 10-23000 for the twin turboprops as a rule. For smaller singles and float/amphibs 1500 - 3000ft as a rule. The magnificent scenery we have now has taken me away from the higher altitudes and big iron that used to be my preference. I do still fly some bizjets occasionally, just to polish my high IFR skills, but staying low and being in the weather is fun for me right now.

I'm with the VFR crowd, seldom more than 4,000 ft AGL. I enjoy picking out geographical features and much higher up it's more like a map outside. Although when Milviz finish their SR-71 it may be time to go properly high again!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Low and slow is how I go. Rarely more than 4000 feet AGL.

Members who have read this thread: 0