Volkswagen - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Volkswagen

I had a 1964 Beetle, very dependable, always started, even in sub zero temps. A buddy of mine has a 2006 VW Passat and he says it's one of the best autos that he's ever had. Wonder what will become of the gas powered VW's? Are they under the same scrutiny as the TDI diesel models? The whole bit could up like the original VW Beetle which is still available in Mexico, I believe. So you want a VW...? you have to go south of the Border to get one? If this incident was deliberate on VW's part then I agree with KellyB... the fullest extent of the law should apply. I don't see how it could have happened by accident.

If you want to talk mileage figures, I have a 1992 Toyota 4X4 pickup, it had 8 miles on it when I bought it new. It now has 173,000 and still runs like a top. It was rated at 18MPG in town and 25MPG on highway on the sticker, which I still have. The truck gets an impressive 23MPG in town, and about 30MPG highway. It has the 2.4 liter "22R" fuel injected 4 cylinder engine. So as far as what the sticker says and what the car gets in terms of MPG, my sticker fell short of the actual figures and the inaccuracy was in my favor. Regular tune-ups, premium fuel, scheduled oil changes and maintenance all play a part.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

So far this is confined to Diesel engines made between 2009 and 2015. The recall will also be issued on one smaller model of Audi, which is owned by VW.
    By the way,....VW also owns Porsche, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborgini and a few other companies that make trucks.

The CEO quit today. He had not been in power for that long, just as Mary Barra at GM was new to the job when the ignition switch scandal started. Makes me wonder if the people before them knew trouble was coming and someone else is "Elected" to be the fall guy .

I'll believe that there is a crackdown on CEO fraud when someone like Jamie Damon of Chase Bank is put on trial.

Some owners are saying they will not have the software redone and enjoy the cars as they are. The problem is that the VIN numbers will be given to the State DMV's. If you are required to have an emission test before registering your vehicle every year or so, you will not be able to register it. You may have a car that gets great mileage, but it will just be a matter of time before you get pulled over for expired tags.

The amount of excess NOx emissions is UP to 40%, not a set 40% figure. One thing that may help VW is these cars are required to run on Ultra low sulfur diesel fuel, the testing agency now admits that they used only low sulfur fuel.
    It is a great car, like most German engineered cars, they are well put together even though they are assembled in Mexico. The engines, transmissions and most of the heavy duty equipment are made in Germany.

We've got a Hyundai i30CW diesel, so, hopefully, this "problem" hasn't spread to other car firms....although, Hyundai has a lot of ex VW employees working on their designs these days...........

“It is an outrage that VW would take advantage of its consumers by purposely deceiving them on their mileage on diesel vehicles. . . . There ought to be some prosecutions, and corporate executives that knew this and have done it ought to be going to jail,” Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.) said in a speech on the Senate floor Tuesday, citing the repeated failures of automakers. “And I lay this not only on the corporate culture, I lay it at the feet of the U.S. regulatory agencies who ought to be doing their job, ought to be doing it in a forceful way.”

Interesting attitude here, the primary angst directed at VW is concerned with emission deceptions, not fuel consumption figures.
    And really, emission levels are of great concern to any level headed citizen.
    The 'P' in EPA stands for 'Pollution'.
    As for the 'Toyota Airbag Problem', with only two suppliers to choose from they were SOL and picked the wrong one.
    Once the knee jerk reaction calms down the investigations might be more than interesting, for example, the EPA 'testing' seems to have used the wrong grade of diesel......................
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

The "particulate' in diesel emissions does not stay airborne, like the gasses from nitrous oxides and CO emissions from gasoline powered engines. It settles to the ground eventually. So I recon that one could call it "ground pollution"? (For lack of better reasoning).

In Colorado, USA for example, State emissions testing is done on gasoline powered vehicles every two years, while diesel powered vehicles have to be tested every year. The ratio of gasoline powered vehicles to diesel powered vehicles is about 1 1/2 to one, considering that a lot of folks are keeping their older cars running. To me, the major pollution issue would be with gasoline powered engines since the emissions from those remain in the air we breathe.

Still, it'll be interesting to see who is found guilty, and takes the major hit from this latest fiasco.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Blog Entries
    Just a few minutes ago I seen a VW commercial on TV offering $1200 off a new VW, lol
    Look What I Have Become!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickie View Post
    Just a few minutes ago I seen a VW commercial on TV offering $1200 off a new VW, lol
    It that weren't so funny in a pathetic corporate marketing kind of way I'd have a good laugh over that one.

Considering the track record of the EPA in the last few years, I'm not entirely confident that they will be of much help, but one can always hope.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Years ago, I had a VW Rabbit Diesel. VW advertised mileage in the high 30s. I got over 50 on the highway. Tough and reliable car that I drove for years until it got totaled in a wreck. And when it did have problems, it was pretty easy to fix (former diesel mechanic). A couple of years ago, I looked at a new Beetle diesel. No way. Wouldn't have the darn thing.

For the VW owners, I hope VW's recall works out better than any Chrysler ones I've had to deal with. I've still got an outstanding one on my van that they say the part is available, but no one can seem to get one. Reminds me of Fiats back 30 years ago last time they were in this country. Even the dealers couldn't parts, but while you're here, let's trade in your broken one for another one. At your cost of course.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Corporate mindset...
    if it's cheaper to settle law suits than spend the money to fix it, let it ride.

Even the FAA does it when they come across commercial airliner problems.

The pursuit of the almighty dollar!

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar

No car gets the mileage according to the factory, as the test designed to measure CO2 emissions (Which is then calculated back to fuel consumption.) is completely ridiculous. There is a lot of running at 70 kmh, and very little simulated urban or highway traffic. The acceleration from 0-100 kmh lasts 70 (!) seconds in the test, almost a minute more than any normal family car will do these days. And since fuel consumption is a large selling factor these days (Even with the current low oil price I still pay $6.50 USD for a gallon.) I'm not surprised manufacturers try to cheat the test. And I use the plural because I'm sure others will have done the same as Volkswagen has.

Right now in Europe there are a lot of smaller cars (VW Rabbit/Ford Focus-sized and smaller) that have relatively small turbocharged engines that (In the standard test!) get great mileage. Why? Because during the test the turbo is hardly used. Once you drive a car like that in daily traffic you will use the extra turbo power, and the fuel consumption shoots up.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

I expect we might get some facts once the media frenzy eases off.
    And I'm inclined to look at Europe for those facts, not California.
    FWIW, my daily driver is a Volvo, a C30 2L Turbo Diesel, and it gets good fuel consumption despite my driving style.

Speed limit??? What speed limit???

Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post

Don't know about VW but that (hilarious) pic reminded me of a Peugeot I once owned in the UK - awful car.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Blog Entries
    Utt Ohhhhh.....looks lilke BMW may be sucked into the vortex........
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Utt Ohhhhh.....looks lilke BMW may be sucked into the vortex........
    How so?
    Completely unrelated company with different target markets.
    Can't find anything so far on the net.

Edit: Apparently a single BMW 'SUV' has recorded some very high emission levels, this while being driven off road and up a steep incline...................

Things have changed for diesel car owners here in the States from what it was when I owned my Rabbit back in the 80s and early 90s. Back then, diesel was cheaper than gas and "what emission controls?" on the cars. Yeah, they were noisy, hardy to start (not so much the Rabbit) and most people found the exhaust "stinky". And diesel fuel was a bit harder to find these days from what it is today. I usually refueled at truck stops and got strange looks from the truck drivers with my little black car at one of "their" pumps.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Members who have read this thread: 0