Running CFS3 in Windows 10: solved for now - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Running CFS3 in Windows 10: solved for now

Home for tea and tiffin! BeauBrummie's Avatar
    I thought I'd look in here as after a FB chat with the Hobbit, I thought I'd look in as I have Win 10 and fancied dipping my toe back in CFS3, but Sweet Jesus there's a lot to take in!

Check out my website for info on CFS3, the Mosquito, Coastal Command, Coastal Forces and hosting 3rd Party Add-Ons.
    BEAUBRUMMIE'S CFS3 WEBSITE
    The Mosquito DBKF DH98 PROJECT
    Check out my YouTube video's
    BEAU'S CFS3 MOVIES

Welcome back mate. Go for it as really improved sooo much! Ankor plus Wiekniera, new ac like the P51. All sorts of goodies.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Hi Jeff good to see you back, CFS3 will work fine in W10 just follow the instructions in this thread. It's a new sim now, it's never looked so good!
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Home for tea and tiffin! BeauBrummie's Avatar
    Thanks guys, for the welcome. It's been a long while. I'll just take my time and get everything ready. It's great to see so many old faces still about. TTFN.

Check out my website for info on CFS3, the Mosquito, Coastal Command, Coastal Forces and hosting 3rd Party Add-Ons.
    BEAUBRUMMIE'S CFS3 WEBSITE
    The Mosquito DBKF DH98 PROJECT
    Check out my YouTube video's
    BEAU'S CFS3 MOVIES

Blog Entries
    Nice to see you pop in Jeff! have missed your input!
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Do ankors shaders work in Windows 10 with ETO and these workarounds?

Yes, they do.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Question DVD version of CFS

Greetings,
    I am a returning member, been away for too long & nice to be back (details are in my profile). I have the opportunity to buy a DVD version of CFS, and would like your opinions, please. Here are the details:

The package literally says "Microsoft Combat Flight Sim" ("Europe", below). No version # is listed, it is cc in 1998. The picture is of a P-51, at about the 10 o'clock level position (no combat, shinny silver in color). I have my original 2 CD version of CFS3 and ALL of the patches and updates (including the cyanide-laced one). Will this copy be of any value to me when I try to do a fresh install into Win10-64? Or is it too old? My buddy is asking $15.00 USD. DVD is in Great shape, and I know where he lives...Not having much (read:ANY) exp with CFS3 and Win10, I would appreciate any help or input.

Best to all,

Saxon
    "When Tyranny Becomes Law, Rebellion Becomes Duty"

System Specs:
    O/S: Win 7-64 bit
    Intel I-7 Quad 860 @2.8GHs, Cool Master CPU Cooler (forced)
    8 Gig DDR RAM
    NVIDA GeForce GTX 670
    Creative Labs SB X-FI Platinum 64 bit Sound Card
    24" ASUS Monitor

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Read this entire sticky and you will find the answer to your questions. I run Win 7 64 bit and have no problems if instructions are followed. All should be straight forward and easy to understand. Buy the DVD version it's worth the price. Good luck and remember to read all you can on the latest shaders and other mods available also.

Have you tried the CFS forum?

You're talking about Combat Flight Simulator 1 and there is another forum for that sim on SOH where Ivan and the rest of that merry gang should be able to answer your questions.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

I recently decided to update my CPU (core i7-7700k 4.2 OC to 4.7) and MB (ASUS Strix Z270H Gaming), but hesitated because I had gone from Win 7 to Win 10 using the free update on my old machine (AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black 3.2 OC to 3.8), and was concerned that it would invalidate my Activation. My son had done a similar update, and now has a MS nag notice to reactivate that he can't make go away.

After a bit of research I found this:
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-r...ardware-change

I went ahead and set up the Microsoft Account and linked my Activation to it before I changed any hardware. After that all went smoothly, and I had far less trouble with losing my program install settings than I did during the major OS updates (Anniversary and Creators) Microsoft pushed out this past year.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

A new Problem

Hi guys,
    I got a new computer and installed the newest windows 10 version on it.
    Have been running win10 with cfs3 in the past without any problems.
    Installed the game, pasted the .exe to desktop. gave it xp service pack 3 compatibility.
    ran the config
    Started the game and it works.

Then i wanted to go play online...........
    Opened multiplayer options tab
    changed the connection type to T1
    clicked okay.......
    Crash

BTW the oleacc.dll i had already deleted

Changing anything in the multiplayer options tab results in crash after clicking okay (connection type, or country, or Player name, or pilot)

If I open the multiplayer tab for joining a game it also crashes

reinstalled the game 20 times now (on ssd program files (x86) on D:\ now straight into the root directory of C:\ nothing helps
    switched off firewall, switched off antivirus. made all exclusions, nothing helpsdxdiag.txt

On my other computer win10 wouldn't update properly but CFS3 always ran fine there.
    Unfortunately i wiped that win10 installation and did a clean install so my wife can use that computer.

Now i figured, on that computer it always ran fine so it must be a hardware problem, no worries, i will install the game there so at least i can still play online games on sunday.

@#$^&*(*&^%$$ after wiping and installing the latest win10 on the old computer it has the exact same problem.

The game runs fine but multiplayer doesn't

dxdiag.txt tells me this

+++ WER6 +++:
    Fault bucket , type 0
    Event Name: APPCRASH
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: cfs3- multi player win7.exe
    P2: 3.1.0.30203
    P3: 3e3ebe85
    P4: COMMON.DLL
    P5: 0.0.0.0
    P6: 3e3ebd1c
    P7: c0000005
    P8: 0000f079
    P9:
    P10:

+++ WER7 +++:
    Fault bucket , type 0

Problem signature:
    P1: cfs3- multi player win7.exe.exe
    P4: gundll.dll
    P5: 0.50.152.1
    P6: 3d9cf6c1
    P8: 00030668
    P9:
    P10:

+++ WER8 +++:
    Fault bucket , type 0

Problem signature:
    P4: gundll.dll
    P5: 0.50.152.1
    P6: 3d9cf6c1
    P8: 00030668
    P9:
    P10:

+++ WER9 +++:
    Fault bucket , type 0

Problem signature:
    P4: cfs3- multi player win7.exe.exe
    P5: 3.1.0.30203
    P6: 3e3ebe85
    P8: 0034ba18
    P9:
    P10:

Please, if anybody has a clue what it could be?

Antivirus exclusions done
    Firewall exclusions done
    Router ports opened

2300-2400
    86663-86667
    dmz activated in wired ip 192.168.1.67

Must be something in win10 that screws it up

my realtime protection on my antivirus showed 3 files while the crash happened
    C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Softwa reProtectionPlatform\SvcRestartTask
    dx diag
    timestamp nvidia

Maybe this can help one of you online whizkids in the community

Any help is very very very much appreciated

Cheers

Hanko
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails multiplayer tab.jpg   multiplayer options.jpg  

joining the win10 crowd with a new rig.
    The vanilla install went flalesly, the other installs of six different versions are not so good ; I get a config overide error on all of them even afther making shure the compatibility setting where as edited and the game was run as administrator.
    Any suggestion would be welcomed

Make sure you run MultiCFS3 and CFS3config as Administrator.
    Tom

Hairyspin, before I do this should I delete something in the appdata folder of the games and should I re-eniciate the multicfs3 ?

You could delete from the appddata and then run yr multicfs3 and re run the config file; all as admin.

thx everyone

It's the newest version of win10

Did a new install win10 2016, same problem

Just did a reinstall win10 64 2015

and...............

YEEEEEEHAAAAAAW, BACK TO NORMAL

When i started multiplayer windows asked to install one small program like some playerthing, now i forgot to remember the name. age........hahaha
    Anyway, windows asked to install the player i clicked yes and Voila

Thx everyone that tried to help,

Really appreciate it

Almost there; when I remove Ankors shaders from the games they run well but if I attemp to put them back in the game d3d8 and shaders30 are ok but not d3d8.dll that causes the game from not running "config override fie is either corrupt or missing" . Tried running the config file and updating it but no success. So I cannot get the Ankors shaders to work.

Found the solution : afther downloading DirectX 9.0c June 2010 I forgot to run the exect

I had a bit of trouble with the Creators Update that installed itself last night. The game still ran once I reinstalled the User files in \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft, but all of my Anti-Aliasing was disabled.

I tried new video drives, reinstalling DX9c, and a wide range of other control panel settings changes both in the game and in the NVCP all to no effect. What I finally found to work was using NvidiaProfileInspector to set the AA Compatibility bits. In the past this was not needed, and the value could remain at the default 0x00000000. Now it needs one of several that end with 40, 41, or C1.

F0C1
    100C1
    4412C1

There are subtle effect differences between each one, but generally they fall into the three main groups defined by the last two digits. Right now I've settled on the last one, as it's biased toward darkening the edges its aliasing.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

So after spending hours installing ETO, for some reason "windows can't find cfs3.exe. This only happened after updating TO 1.50. Everything worked perfect till 1.5
    Having only limited time to do my hobby, (you know, work, wife ect.) I'm loath to start all over again when I'm sure I followed everything to the letter.

Win 10
    i7 6700
    GTX 980

Never mind, I'm stupid and all is well. You chaps have a fine weekend while I go set everything up now. Love this sim! ( notice I said sim not game

Hello everyone and thanks to all the guys who took the time to post how to get CF3 working in Windows 10.

For me though, I couldn't for the life of me get mine to work. I had to replace my hard drive recently and rather than just re-installing from the external drive which had the back ups, I did a clean install with the most up to date version of Windows 10, having read that I wouldn't have to buy a new one because it reads the Digital Signature from my motherboard.

I read all the posts over and over thinking I missed something and the only thing that wasn't clear to me (my limited knowledge) was a post from Mongoose which mentioned an unmentionable patch. I searched everywhere on here to see if someone had posted it somewhere but unsuccessfully, maybe I'm just thick. I couldn't see his photobucket photo so maybe it was there.

It was the bit about replacing cfs3.exe which I didn't get wholly.

Quote:- 1/ Install CFS3 from your original CDs (or DVD if you're lucky). Make life easier by not installing to the default folder, use something like C:\CFS3 and avoid UAC problems later. Don't run the sim yet!
    2/ Apply the 3.1 and 3.1a patches. Don't run the sim yet!
    3/ Replace cfs3.exe with the unmentionable patch but don't run the sim yet!

I'm not completely software illiterate but my general knowledge is limited, however when a solution drops into my lap BINGO!

So, there was me thinking that if I downloaded 3.1 and 3.1a and more importantly the NoCd patch (which I found online and I think is the unmentionable patch, not really sure) I would just pop it straight into the main files of the programme which I happen to put onto my D drive. Sure it goes in there OK and it opens and unzips fine but it still didn't work. I stupidly expected it to fix itself and that it would automatically replace and fix the correct extensions. Then I read somewhere that you cannot have two of the same .exe files in the same folder, they don't work.

So here's what I did for those of you who still can't get it to run.

I followed Mongooses instructions once again (thank you Mongoose and hairyspin for this Topic) but this time I saved the NoCd file separately to my D drive as a stand alone folder and opened it. I unzipped it again to my D drive (I have my HD partitioned to C for the OS, D for games and other programmes and E,F and G for anything else like photos, music etc.). I then took the pretty pictured file out of the D drive (same as the one arrowed in the pic) and copied it to the same file (arrowed) in the Combat Flight Simulator 3 programme folder.

I now have a working Sim having changed the Compatibility settings.

Thanks again guys and I hope this post helps others.
    Cheers for now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails exe1.png  
    Window 10 64 Bit Pro
    AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black 3.2
    16GB Memory DDR3 1300
    Asus M4A79T Motherboard
    Geforce GTS 250

I'm running in Windows 10

Thank to you all, follow the earlier posts and ran great, I did the patch, no cd, direct9 and install at C: The only problem it doesn't recognise my Phantom Hawk joystick, so a bit stuck on calibrating and programming the joystick buttons, the SIM just hangs and I've use task manager to kill it
    Trevor, wanttobeapilot

Members who have read this thread: 26