Windows 10 snafu / content thread - Page 13
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 snafu / content thread

Because I have a new PC, I run into the same trouble, CFS2 runs only in 16 bit and hardware acceleration does not work, then I installed my old CFS1 and… it works in 32 bit, -Installed CFS3 it works Full screen (3440 x 1440), FS2002/2004 both works in 32-bit mode. Only CFS2 Does not work in 32 bits.

Does anyone Installed windows 7 on an actual PC with CFS2 and then updated to windows 10 64bit?

I remember I had running Windows 7 with CFS2 without Problems, than came Windows 10 64bit, I updated and everything runs fine! -now there is the new PC and CFS2 went into trouble .

On My old Windows 10 64bit PC CFS2 runs still fine

Wolfi

One sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes (Antoine de Saint Exupéry)

Library Staff
    Hi Wolfi,

Try these settings in your cfs2.cfg file, substituting your video card. Allen solved the problem for me on the previous pages of this thread. Hardware acceleration is working even though settings don't show this to be the case.

[DISPLAY]
    Device=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    Mode=1920x1200x32
    Dither=0
    AntiAlias=1
    HWTnL=1

Good luck!
    Kevin

sorry, but it didn't work

wolfi

One sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes (Antoine de Saint Exupéry)

Try this, rightclick on the CFS2.exe, select proporties, change the compatibility mode to Windows XP.

It's an educated guess though, it's been ages since I played CFS2!

EDIT: I hope you didn't install CFS2 in the default path! If you've installed it in the Program files folder, that would also explain a lot: that is for 64 bit applications.

Cheers,

Priller
    Last edited by Priller; May 16th, 2021 at 05:58. Reason: remembered something
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Consolidated Proceedure

Wolfi: Mine is not an upgraded to Win 10 system. To install CFS2 in a new Win 10 system: 1. Create a folder on your C drive - I named mine CFS2, 2. Install the sim into that folder. 3. Open Control Panel/User Controls and set them as low as possible. This will allow you to modify and make changes to the game. 4. Right click on the CFS2.exe and open Properties. Set your Compatibility to WindowsXP Service pack 3 (mine is set to SP 2 and still works,) And set run as administrator while in the Compatibility tab, Apply and close the Properties window. 5. Set up desktop shortcuts as desired and create your Mission Builder exe, 6. Important!!! When you start CFS2 or MB, either directly or from a shortcut, right click on the icon and choose "Run as Administrator."

That should do it for you. Did I forget anything, guys?
    "De Oppresso Liber"

No, I installed it on a different drive and Partition, and yes, I tried all modes XP, Vista, Windows 7,8 and 10, but without success, maybe it’s a hardware or Direct X thing, when I finally finish the setup of my new PC, I will try to install Windows 7 on the new PC on a separate hard drive, then I will look if CFS2 works.

What me bothered is, that CFS1 and 3 works in 32bit mode but CFS2 doesn’t

But thanks for your suggestions
    Wolfi

Hi Wolfi,

apparently this is a known problem and was handled here before: https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...-bit-available

Cheers,

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

I do not know what happened, I started the game again just to look, and everything is back to normal…, but I really don’t know what happened. I’m fiddling around this problem since yesterday, but now… everything went well without knowing why!

But on the positive side I have CFS1 and CFS3 FS2002 and FS2004 on my hard drive.

Wolfi

Maybe you did a reboot??

Now all you need is MSFS!!

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Rebooted sometimes without result, and yea, FS2020 is just installing, just loaded DVD2 of 10 into the drive.

wolfi

So, what I find out,

If you have a new monitor with a resulution more than 1920 x 1080, you have a problem, you can scale CFS2 as big as you can but if you overstretch it, -it will have trouble with Direct x, my solution is before I start CFS2, I change the screen resolution to 1920 x 1080.

If Your CFS2 works fine, make a Copy of your “CFS2.cfg” (CFS2 main folder) and store it on a save place.

Do not open the CFS2 Quality and screen settings, after this it will mess up Your “CFS2.cfg” Display settings.

For all who are interested, same solution for ABACUS FSDS2! Set screen resolution to 1920 x 1080 and you can work with it without DirectX problems.

wolfi

Hi wolfi, try with my cfs2.cfg file you can download it from my website

https://sites.google.com/view/cfs2ma...lacas-graficas

use a traslator if you like to see the description

Thanks, I have backup of a working cfg file now. CFS2 works fine now, but I didn't try the missionbuilder with the new setup.

wolfi

I don't know what the problem is, maybe the last driver update? But now I have as soon as I want to start, so the mission was loaded a black screen. Does anyone know what the problem is? Last time I played CFS 2 was in February, everything went well so far. Thiso are my settings: [DISPLAY] Device=Radeon RX 5500 XT Mode=1920x1080x32 Dither=0 Filter=1 TriLinear=0 MipMap=1 AntiAlias=1 HWTnL=1 Disable=0

after a few weeks now on my new PC
    Mission builder works fine and cfs2 works fine without scaling the monitor resulution down to 1920 x 1080, CFS2 and misionbuilder are scaled by the cfg. file to 1920 x 1080.
    I setup a big test mission (about 100 aircraft in the air) bombers, torpedo bombers fighters, fighters-starting on ground, ships, a lot of Flak, a few vehicles and static ships, 3 cloud layers, just to test and it works!

if you have a big monitor (my is 3440 - 1440 ) never touch the quality settings, but hand edit the cfg file for that purpose and if everything works make a backup copy of your working cfg.

I just thing about how old CFS2 is now, so the new big monitors are not suported. I still wish that ms make a new combat flight simulator 4 ( not a game ), based on FS2020 technologies with a mission builder like CFS2.

for Makus: I unfortunately have a Nvidea 3060 graphics card so I can't gif a tip how to solve your issue

wolfi

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi View Post
    after a few weeks now on my new PC Mission builder works fine and cfs2 works fine without scaling the monitor resulution down to 1920 x 1080, CFS2 and misionbuilder are scaled by the cfg. file to 1920 x 1080. I setup a big test mission (about 100 aircraft in the air) bombers, torpedo bombers fighters, fighters-starting on ground, ships, a lot of Flak, a few vehicles and static ships, 3 cloud layers, just to test and it works! if you have a big monitor (my is 3440 - 1440 ) never touch the quality settings, but hand edit the cfg file for that purpose and if everything works make a backup copy of your working cfg. I just thing about how old CFS2 is now, so the new big monitors are not suported. I still wish that ms make a new combat flight simulator 4 ( not a game ), based on FS2020 technologies with a mission builder like CFS2. for Makus: I unfortunately have a Nvidea 3060 graphics card so I can't gif a tip how to solve your issue wolfi
    Update: it works. I have completely uninstalled it and just reinstalled again, again all the steps according to the Win 10 tutorial.

Mission builder works fine and cfs2 works fine without scaling the monitor resulution down to 1920 x 1080, CFS2 and misionbuilder are scaled by the cfg. file to 1920 x 1080.
    I setup a big test mission (about 100 aircraft in the air) bombers, torpedo bombers fighters, fighters-starting on ground, ships, a lot of Flak, a few vehicles and static ships, 3 cloud layers, just to test and it works!

if you have a big monitor (my is 3440 - 1440 ) never touch the quality settings, but hand edit the cfg file for that purpose and if everything works make a backup copy of your working cfg.

I just thing about how old CFS2 is now, so the new big monitors are not suported. I still wish that ms make a new combat flight simulator 4 ( not a game ), based on FS2020 technologies with a mission builder like CFS2.

for Makus: I unfortunately have a Nvidea 3060 graphics card so I can't gif a tip how to solve your issue

wolfi
    Earlier Allen wrote "..Again I think the problem is that CFS2 can't fully see your Nvidia card and can't use hardware acceleration. It may be a long shot but check your Setting pages and see if it list another or the same Nvidia card twice with (\\.\DISPLAY). Try changing to one of the others. Close CFS2, than open and edit the CFS2.cfg. ".

Just a reinforcement on Allen & Wolfi's main point - these newer cards just don't get recognised by CFS 2 anymore. Don't panic, just hand edit your cfs2.cfg using Notepad & it will be OK ...

I moved from an old Radeon 7850 to a Geforce GTX1650 & was greeted at first with crappy 16 bit textures & the Settings page only showed 16 bit display options. Hand-editing to force the 32 bit option works like a charm.

Other tweaks such as AA etc. can be achieved through NVIDIA settings ... don't touch the Grahics Settings page in CFS 2, it will just revert to 16 bit again ...

wolfi
    Nvidia 3060 graphics card is a very new card. I have the gtx1650 d6 and has had some problems, new big problems I am having with the update 2022 of windows 10 and the gtx1650.

see this thread

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...-Allen-Fw190A8

slotted render

First, many thanks Allen for your tuto on setting up CFS2 on windows 10, great
    I nearly succeeded to have a nice sim, I have two problems, the first one is I can't select a x32 resolution, the sim falls to the deck, perhaps my laptop is not powerfull enough, but the rendering is not too bad even in x16.
    I have an other problem with some parts appearing slotted, as on this example:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grab_000.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	86819
    Did someone suceeded to fix such a problem?

Many thanks for all your help

Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grab_000.jpg  

Martin,

The tearing/striping is an artefact from running on 16-bit settings.

Did you try hand-editing the cfs2.cfg, as Wolfi & I did (see posts above)?

Yeah the 32 bit color must be set with note/wordpad.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Uncle Tgt and Allen, thanks for your answers

So, yes, I edited the cfs2.cfg, and tried all combinations, re-installing the game following all the tutorial steps, it works only for disable=1, but I feel then I play with "Minecraft"

Even with the laptop's display settings at minimum 800X600 and 800x600x32 in the cfs2.cfg, once the free flight is launched, first a black screen and just a moment after, drop to the desk. On plane pre-view, nothing (even not a black rectangle, nothing...)
    So, I'll keep on to experiment, and if I find a way, I'll share it

Cheers
    Martin

Martin

Is this "windowed" or "full screen"

I find running windowed is far more robust on newer systems.

Uncle Tgt
    I must check, but I believe I've tested both, the result is desperately DTD

SOLVED!

My new laptop is a HP with a 1600x900 screen and an Intel Iris Xe graphic card.
    I tested to set up drivers coming from Intel website, and it did the job, I can now visualise the x32 resolutions!
    It sometimes drop to desk when I change the plane (in full screen), so I'll try to reduce to 1440X900x32, but it works now.

Many thanks to all, cheers
    Martin

Members who have read this thread: 52