1962-1964 Cape Canaveral - an FSX first!

Thread: 1962-1964 Cape Canaveral - an FSX first!

Blog Entries

1962-1964 Cape Canaveral - an FSX first!

I've posted WIP / beta shots before - but for now, Bernie Bockheim has released this as a beta. Personally, I think it's already a wonderful finished product.

Go back to 1962. John Glenn finally orbits the earth. John F. Kennedy inspires the imaginations (and federal pocketbooks) to pursue a moon landing. The 'Cape, before there was a gigantic VAB and enormous infrastructure, available now for your enjoyment.

Features:

Mercury (Redstone and Atlas) launch complexes
    Mission Control building - there was not "Houston" yet - missions were controlled at the Cape at this point. Animated Radar.
    Hangar S - complete with a presidential entourage, media (flashbulb camera effects).
    Well modeled astronaut transfer van, Mercury capsule, and other unique visual NASA-related gems.
    Cape Canaveral port, complete with period steamers and USS Nautilus - happened to be in the neighborhood!
    Excellent on FPS.

Some pics I took during beta testing:

Pads...

Hangar S ...

Mission Control ...

Link:

http://calclassic.proboards.com/thre...scrollTo=64507

Enjoy!

DL

Oo-er.. another interest of mine. Cheers DL
    ATB
    DaveB

Blog Entries

more pics ...

Hangar S ... check out the photoflash from the photogs ...

More pad shots ....

The port ...

I often wonder if you could make an era specific FSX/P3D install. With CalClassic scenery and so many great classic jets and scenery, it would be cool.

This would fit nicely.

-Jeff
    I pass gas!

Quote Originally Posted by ST0RM View Post
    I often wonder if you could make an era specific FSX/P3D install. With CalClassic scenery and so many great classic jets and scenery, it would be cool.

This would fit nicely.

-Jeff
    I am currently running FSX with CalClassic set to 1962. Apart from a few scenery issues (FS9 trees, transparencies, some shifted runways) it generally works OK. There is a slow project going on to make the sceneries fully FSX-compatible.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ST0RM View Post

This would fit nicely.

-Jeff
    You're likely thinking of the old Golden Wings 3, Silverwings, etc in FS9, where the global urban density, autogen styling, etc reflected those older periods (1930s and 1950s respectively). That's (to date) not available, to my knowledge, in a "macro" sense, like those packages. But, as RM points out, you can have pretty darn good retro airports from Calclassic (and a few others), so the "micro" environment of a given airfield and its associated AI can be of a certain period.

If there was an FSX equivalent to GW/SW, I'd be all over it, and indeed the absence of it, was why I held on to FS9 for as long as I did, until around 2010 or so. It'd be a massive undertaking, and there's a good reason that Lynn and Bill Lyons are considered revered and one-of a kind developers for those packages they did. One of a kind talented, generous, and pioneering thinkers. Maybe someday, there'll be a GW/SW reboot for FSX/P3D, but I'm not holding my breath. In today's platforms (FSX/P3D), we have to take the more "micro" airfields where we can get them.

Plenty of threads here on retro airports, and over at Calclassic too, insofar as which airports work/don't work in FSX, etc. But this one is native - so here's to a space-capsule themed time capsule ..

dl

Members who have read this thread: 0