Must read - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Must read

My experience:

fs and p3d have come to a slide show on my computer and i could not understand why(win7). The ssw f104 stopped working and got the ctd problem. I uninstalled the mentioned window updates and suddenly everything was back to normal.. So whatever people are saying there are no doubt in my mind that these window updates were bad for my fs rig. Just my experience.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Well.. As for me. I have the Free Win 10 Notice, just got it. No lags, stutters, nothing.

Notice my CPU meter is at 1%. Nothing is being used by this deal.

My only question is it says free upgrade...

Umm. No thanks. I'll NOT upgrade Win7, cause once you do you can't go back. Not sure if this means its just an upgrade , but it seems like its not a stand alone version of Win 10.

Anyone know?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails W 10.jpg  

Members +
    Not got mine yet. I'm using Windows 8.1 Single Language, all updates done.
    Maybe a country thing, as I'm in South Africa?

Not sure if it's a Country thing or now. It's def a M$ thing...

As long as you have Vista thru Win 8 with SP1 you will get the offer.

Members +
    Ok, thanks. I'll keep on waiting. Must we reserve the update to W10 or will it happen when normal updates take place?

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    This adware is to coerce people into the 'free' upgrade so they will 'have you hooked' already prior to the realization of the on-going business model that will be Win 10.

Get for free....and pay to use - forever.

You can say it's a storm in a teacup...but I'd prefer to pay for an OS once....not weekly...monthly...yearly...
    Were on earth did you get the idea that Win10 will become "subscription based?" Oh right, you read it somewhere on the Internet, so it must be true...

Have a close read:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-win...-subscription/

Another source citing the Press Announcement last January:
    So, what will it cost? It's free. For a while. After that…
    Also, per Myerson...
    This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge.
    http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/w...ne-81-upgrades
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

wow - EVERY time?

every time MS rolls out a new OS here comes the Falling Sky Contingent - " oh NO's!!! they're coming for my internets!!!"

"they're breaking my games all on purpose like to make me buy new stuff!!" and " they're spying on my lifestyle secrets" etc etc...

and its all true...
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

...didn't we just have the "Paypal is taking ownership of EVERYTHING" thread...?

...I remember the olden days when schools actually educated people....now we have television and the internets

woe unto them, that forsake knowledge and the enlightenment for rumor and hearsay - (not heresy, dummies)
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post

... for rumor and hearsay - (not heresy, dummies)

rofl!!!!
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

wow - EVERY time?

every time MS rolls out a new OS here comes the Falling Sky Contingent - " oh NO's!!! they're coming for my internets!!!"

"they're breaking my games all on purpose like to make me buy new stuff!!" and " they're spying on my lifestyle secrets" etc etc...

and its all true...
    ROFLMFAO!!!! "they're spying on my lifestyle secrets"

That would be "adult movies", right???

This thread is becoming golden! Laughing my a** off!

Johan

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    My experience:

fs and p3d have come to a slide show on my computer and i could not understand why(win7). The ssw f104 stopped working and got the ctd problem. I uninstalled the mentioned window updates and suddenly everything was back to normal.. So whatever people are saying there are no doubt in my mind that these window updates were bad for my fs rig. Just my experience.
    I have all the updates mentioned and I have no problems whatsoever.

That is my experience.

of course, IT is far from an exact science...

Johan

...I remember the olden days when schools actually educated people....now we have television and the internets
    Books and classes on computer stuff are the least effective method to learn all this crap.

Book: "Start your computer. The Windows 98 boot screen should appear. Let the 56k modem connect itself to the WWW. Launch Netscape Navigator. Check your e-mails at AOL."

Class: "Press the grey button on the case. Wait. Here comes the Windows XP bootscreen. Yeah, it's going to take a while to connect to the network. Drat, what's the admin password again? Wait, I'll get someone who knows it." [Meanwhile, quarter of the class is playing Minesweper or a secretly installed Quake derivative; another quarter is on Facebook or looking at funny cat pictures; another quarter is yelling "Teacher, I've got a problem here" while the remainder is asleep.]

Rule #1: Google.
    Rule #2: Don't believe any crap you read on the internet.
    Rule #3: Google some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post

Rule #1: Google.
    Rule #2: Don't believe any crap you read on the internet.
    Rule #3: Google some more.
    Doesn't Rule 2 negate Rules 1 and 3?
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    Bjoern's little joke, lol.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Yes, Microsoft has become a benevolent entity and seen the errors of its ways and is definitely becoming the provider of 'the free OS'....so up your collective noses, Unix.

I don't need to read anything....in a book...OR on the net to know a free OS release is unsustainable as a commercial model. Come on, people...there IS NO COMMERCIAL MODEL IF SOMETHING IS FREE.

Oh that's right...I forgot. Bill Gates wants to give away his entire fortune one download at a time.

Perhaps it's all about targeted advertising and data acquisition embedded in the OS usage....copying all those other 'freebies' like...Google...Facebook....et al.

I never said the sky was falling about the release of any MS OS what-so-ever.
    I DID suggest that Windows ME was utter rubbish [proven].
    I did suggest XP looked childish aka Fisher-Price [it is]
    I did suggest Vista was released too soon...[proven - solved by 7]
    I did suggest a touchscreen MOBILE interface thrust upon the desktop world was a mistake [8 - proven - ask Balmer]
    ...and I DO suggest the dumbing-down of the GUI aesthetics in 10 is plain ugly [subjective opinion - though there are indications someone is listening].

Administering a website for a Microsoft Gold Partner company involved with GUI enhancements and being aware of just how much income was gleaned thanks to the stupidity of the 8/8.1 GUI release puts me in a slightly better position to have an informed opinion than the rabble asserting paranoia.

You can't blame me, however when the free lunch bites you in the arse.

Yes, Microsoft has become a benevolent entity and seen the errors of its ways and is definitely becoming the provider of 'the free OS'....so up your collective noses, Unix.

I don't need to read anything....in a book...OR on the net to know a free OS release is unsustainable as a commercial model. Come on, people...there IS NO COMMERCIAL MODEL IF SOMETHING IS FREE.

Oh that's right...I forgot. Bill Gates wants to give away his entire fortune one download at a time.

Perhaps it's all about targeted advertising and data acquisition embedded in the OS usage....copying all those other 'freebies' like...Google...Facebook....et al.

I never said the sky was falling about the release of any MS OS what-so-ever.
    I DID suggest that Windows ME was utter rubbish [proven].
    I did suggest XP looked childish aka Fisher-Price [it is]
    I did suggest Vista was released too soon...[proven - solved by 7]
    I did suggest a touchscreen MOBILE interface thrust upon the desktop world was a mistake [8 - proven - ask Balmer]
    ...and I DO suggest the dumbing-down of the GUI aesthetics in 10 is plain ugly [subjective opinion - though there are indications someone is listening].

Administering a website for a Microsoft Gold Partner company involved with GUI enhancements and being aware of just how much income was gleaned thanks to the stupidity of the 8/8.1 GUI release puts me in a slightly better position to have an informed opinion than the rabble asserting paranoia.

As someone who works daily in Windows support, my opinion is that you are grossly underestimating the cost of supporting, patching, and testing multiple operating systems. Microsoft's most basic need, as most businesses, is to lower overhead. Profit comes from Microsoft Office and Windows Server, not desktop Windows. Sorry, your rant rings a bit unfamiliar with the ways of the behemoth known as Microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by henrystreet View Post
    As someone who works daily in Windows support, my opinion is that you are grossly underestimating the cost of supporting, patching, and testing multiple operating systems. Microsoft's most basic need, as most businesses, is to lower overhead. Profit comes from Microsoft Office and Windows Server, not desktop Windows. Sorry, your rant rings a bit unfamiliar with the ways of the behemoth known as Microsoft.
    That's the whole point. I am not 'underestimating' anything. I KNOW the cost and it is NOT sustained by free OS releases [other than to coerce 'everyone' to the same OS version so as to not continue sustaining legacy OS versions].
    And yes, profit will come from Office sales et al .... particularly if/when MS can convince people it is in their interests to purchase anew as office XP...office 2003...2007...2010...are all just too old [read - uneconomical to sustain/support].
    THAT is where the free-lunch will expire....

10 is their 'cure-all'....however it may yet end up to be all-their-eggs-in-one-basket [with Apple rubbing hands with glee]...

The tinfoil hat portion of my comments is....wait until that little icon on the systray tells you your paid version of [some ancient] Office suite is not supported on 10 and you MUST purchase their cloud subscription solution and GNU alternatives will be blocked from installing...

Yes, Microsoft has become a benevolent entity and seen the errors of its ways...

Look man - No one knows better than I do about MS missteps and blunders (be they ill advised design flaws or plain mistakes)

I bought a Windows ME machine back in the day and it nearly drove me to bite the big Apple (not that theres anything wrong with apple Mac machines, lets not start that)
    It was unfathomable to me that a big,smart outfit like Microsoft would roll out such an absolute mess like that and call it good - but they did.

Windows X may or may not be their best work to date - It might take several service packs to satisfy the customers - they might use the new OS to sell new versions of old programs -
    that's out of my hands and not entirely out of bounds for a company like MS...but I'm never going to lose sleep over something I cant control.

there are always options - I'm not throwing away my Win7 disc though and I'm probably going to keep an offline Win7 PC around for a while too...just in case.
    enter..the Sandman

Members +
    I wonder how many of the 'I will NEVER ...' guys will be running W10 in 6 months time.
    Lol, just swop W10 for FSX:SE, P3D etc. & we've seen this argument before.

Ah well, in the end a lot of people will directly switch the Windows10 (I expect the vast majority of Windows 8 users to switch instantly), and some will stay with Win7 as long as they can, no matter what.
    Some will stay with Win7 because they are not interested in the new Win10 features or benefits.
    Some will stay with Win7 because they don't have the will/courage to reinstall everything. These ones will switch when they'll change their hardware.
    Some will stay with Win7 just because they have an old computer that is not DX12 ready anyways. After all, until not so long ago, some simmers were still using WinXP, right ? And then, after 5-6 years, when their outdated computers won't be able to run any of the newest stuff and will die because of toasted video card or motherboard, they will finally switch to the latest Windows version of that time...
    The story is always the same.

Look man - No one knows better than I do about MS missteps and blunders (be they ill advised design flaws or plain mistakes)

I bought a Windows ME machine back in the day and it nearly drove me to bite the big Apple (not that theres anything wrong with apple Mac machines, lets not start that)
    It was unfathomable to me that a big,smart outfit like Microsoft would roll out such an absolute mess like that and call it good - but they did.

Windows X may or may not be their best work to date - It might take several service packs to satisfy the customers - they might use the new OS to sell new versions of old programs -
    that's out of my hands and not entirely out of bounds for a company like MS...but I'm never going to lose sleep over something I cant control.

there are always options - I'm not throwing away my Win7 disc though and I'm probably going to keep an offline Win7 PC around for a while too...just in case.
    Ah...we're on the same page.
    I remember dropping in on a friend who ran a computer sales/repair business and oversaw an install of ME going horribly wrong. It was a first attempt at 'system restore points'...and sadly the OS got into a little 'issue that ended in an endless loop of restore point creation....and the result of which was the steady destruction [loss] of HD space to the ultimate strangulation death of the system.
    Oh, it had a cure....which was....get that Dos floppy....reformat....and go back to 98.

Being slightly strange and masochistic I eventually got myself a ME copy and relived its profound failings....a work of sublime art....not even remotely approached by Vista...

In spite of all I'll update to 10 ...but only on my terms...which has no room for pushy salesmen in the form of a sys-icon. Whether or not it ends up on my $7k system is as yet open to debate....

Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Bjoern's little joke, lol.
    Nope and I wasn't kidding.

You can't trust the first results that Google spits out. Too much dumb crap, advertising and hijacked sites nowadays.

The tinfoil hat portion of my comments is....wait until that little icon on the systray tells you your paid version of [some ancient] Office suite is not supported on 10 and you MUST purchase their cloud subscription solution and GNU alternatives will be blocked from installing...
    If that was the case, I might just dump Windows altogether.

(Btw: Windows Phone is really awful regarding 3rd party tools. Everything is either payware or adware. The only redeeming quality is that WP already comes with everything you need.)

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    Just uninstall update ending in 5583 and you're good to go. If you are unsure if you have to do this, go look at task manager and look to see if you see "GWX" in the list of running programs. This is the "Get Windows X" executable. Remove this update and you're good to go. Easy peasy.
    Yeah... it temporarily gets rid of it. But it keeps coming back, pesky little buggar. Deleting 5583 only triggers another one and you see a notification stating that you need to install this "important" update. There's another snoop program running that can tell when you delete this update, and it sends a message to M$. Next thing you know, you have yet another notification stating that you need to install it, (5583). Funny, the description it gives is that it "Helps resolve known issues with Windows 7".

I reckon you could just ignore it.

I have a nifty little program called Process Explorer and I can kill the program (GWX) as it runs. But whenever you re-boot, it comes back.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    Yeah... it temporarily gets rid of it. But it keeps coming back, pesky little buggar. Deleting 5583 only triggers another one and you see a notification stating that you need to install this "important" update. There's another snoop program running that can tell when you delete this update, and it sends a message to M$. Next thing you know, you have yet another notification stating that you need to install it, (5583). Funny, the description it gives is that it "Helps resolve known issues with Windows 7".

I reckon you could just ignore it.

I have a nifty little program called Process Explorer and I can kill the program (GWX) as it runs. But whenever you re-boot, it comes back.

BB686
    There are 4 KBs you need to remove, not one.
    If you do so...and reboot...and check for updates [with auto turned OFF] again they will be relisted as 'available'...right click and hide.
    They won't come back...

Members who have read this thread: 4