Some new projects
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some new projects

Some new projects

I've been away for a while beating cancers ass but in the past few months I did manage to start 2 projects when I could muster up the strength. One is an MB-2 Bomber, I have not been able to fly it yet because I did not have MSFS but I hope to soon. The other is a Fairchild PT-26. I took some screen shots this morning so tell me what you think.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture2.jpg   Capture1.jpg   Capture5.jpg   Capture3.jpg   Capture2.jpg   Capture4.jpg  

Capture1.jpg   Capture3.jpg  

Things have changed here as far as uploading and I goofed.....sorry.

Looks great!

SOH-CM-2023
    Those look awesome. Im looking forward to them.

Sean

Looking good!

I'm especially happy to see an MB-2. I don't think we've ever had one for any version of FS.

Congratulations on beating cancer! Welcome to the club! It sure gives you a new perspective on life, doesn't it?!

Thanks guys!

Roger that Mic, brings a whole new meaning to life!

Hopefully someone can answer this for me. The MB-2 has folding wings but every picture I've been able to find id not showing enough to help me out. Does anyone know if the way I have it is right?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture6.jpg  

MB-2 Wingfold

Attached is photo of MB-2 replica in USAF Museum
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MB-2 Wing Fold (USAF Museum).jpg  

Perfect, thanks. I have not seen that picture.

Here's a high rear quarter view that shows how it looks when the wings are spread.

Note that the triangular notch, see opened in the folder wings picture, is filled with a folding triangular panel when the wings are spread.

The big question that remains: which way do those filler panels fold out of the way when the wings are folded??? I couldn't find a picture that shows that. The hinge line might be along the inside edge or the outside edge, and the panels might fold up or down. Or are the panel removed completely? Those look like open hand holds at the trailing edge of each panel, and they might be used to fold the panels or to remove them so the wings can be folded.

The museum photo above seems to show that they don't fold downwards; we'd see them in the photo if they did. Is that one of the panels on the lower wing folded upwards? I can't tell for sure by looking at the picture, but it seems to be in the right place, and I don't know what else it could be. If that's what it is, then they fold upwards and outwards. Still, I think the pic is inconclusive, at least to me. It would help if we could see if there's something similar on the upper wing, but the camera angle is too low to show us that.

Martin's TBM had similar folding wings, and when David modeled our TBM he found that the corresponding moving panels were rectangular and they folded upwards, with the hinge line on the folding outer wing panels rather than the center section. I can only guess whether the triangular panel on the MB-2 worked the same way, but if what I see in the museum photo is really one of those panels, then it would seem that they also fold upwards from a hinge on the outer wing panel. Still uncertain though...

MB-2 Wing Fold

Here is some better views of the MB-2 wing fold. It is very clear that the panel on the lower wing folds up and out. Also, the first photo shows the top wing panel also appears to fold up and out (just a bit shows, but carefully examine the shape above the hinge point)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Martin MB-2 closeup 1.jpg   Martin MB-2 closeup 2.jpg   Martin MB-2 closeup 3.jpg  

Hi,
    Here's a couple of pics; 1 of the panel and the other showing the triangular panels that look like they were hooked on and off as needed

I'm not sure they get bigger here. I may have to put them in screenshots, but we'll see. The originals are a lot larger (1800 x 1300)and show the connectors clearly.
    Andy.

They won't post up any larger on 'Screenshots' and that the limit of my knowledge on this.

edit:
    3 hours later, seeing if I can put (?)links up to the full size originals for you to get a better idea of the triangular infill...maybe it just folded over to allow the wing to come round

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/sha...-1234S-025.jpg

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/sha...-1234S-022.jpg

Andy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 061219-F-1234S-022.jpg   061219-F-1234S-025.jpg  
    Last edited by lemonadedrinker; May 8th, 2015 at 11:08. Reason: not sure

Quote Originally Posted by lemonadedrinker View Post
    Hi,
    Here's a couple of pics; 1 of the panel and the other showing the triangular panels that look like they were hooked on and off as needed...
    Andy.
    The hinges in the photo, on the same side as the outer main wing panels, and on top so that the small panels flip open upwards. You've answered the question!

Hi

As you may be able to see, the upper triangle folds over onto the outer wing part...you can just make out a little square section of it and the lower triangle pivots upwards about 45 deg towards the fuselage.
    I dont seem to be able to sort these image sizes out at all!
    Andy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails blog-mb2_mg_9152_edited-2.jpg  

Hmmm...
    Are those not hinges on the outer side of the flip panels?
    Maybe they're fasteners to hold them in place when they're closed...?

A photo taken from the rear quarter with the wings folded would clarify.

Hi,

I think those are fasteners on the outer side of the panel on the lower wing and there is a hinge on the inner (fuselage side) on that panel. The photo is not that clear and I would really like to see a drawing of it!
    Andy.

a bit later, just adding this as a possible idea:

Some sort of old bonnet (hood) catch
    Andy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 060_053.jpg  
    Last edited by lemonadedrinker; May 11th, 2015 at 08:13.

Wow lots of info guys, thanks!
    I have that first pic on llanning08's post and wondered what that was sticking up but did not put 2 & 2 together.
    I see now what I need and it will be no trouble to add them.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture7.jpg   Capture8.jpg   Capture9.jpg   Capture10.jpg  

There's one discrepancy that I've noticed between your model and the photos. You have an upright on the front inside corner of the folding section, which actually appears to be on the outside front corner of the fixed portion. I've put red on the portion I'm talking about. The actual red struts in the photos appear to be supports to keep the wing structure from being damaged when the wings are folded.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails blog-mb2_mg_9152_edited-2[2].jpg   Capture10[1].jpg  
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Hi,

Perhaps this is what you meant Tom, but the red strut is shown, horizontal, supporting and holding the wing at the 'correct' angle when it's folded.

Andy.

In the original photo, there are two red struts. One is short and horizontal, and holds the wing at the folded angle as you say. The other is vertical, and is on the folded portion holding the wing segments, presumably to add the strength missing without being latched to the fixed portion that has the fixed upright. What I'm saying is that the fixed upright on the model is depicted on the folding portion instead of the fixed portion as shown in the photo.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Hi,
    So there are 3 'struts'--2 vertical and 1 horizontal ... and where does the horizontal strut go when the wing is straightened up for flight ? Perhaps it could be pushed back along inside the leading edge of the wing.
    I had thought there were only 2 struts, but that's what comes of not looking properly. But that asks another question as to why the strut on the folding part of the wing should be painted red? Perhaps a warning against pulling on it as the wing was being folded or straightened. Interesting!

Andy.

Something to wonder about...

If my recollection is correct, Martin's T4M had an extra strut that was put in place when the wings were about to be folded and was supposed to be removed when the wings were spread. Sometimes it was left in place when the wings were spread, leading to some confusing differences between photographs.

Could there have been such a strut on the MB-2?

I'm guessing the red struts shown in the original photos would be stowed away in the fuselage prior to flight, but that's just a guess. If true, that could simplify animation since they wouldn't need to even be seen until the wings are fully folded back.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Thanks for the intel guys, it's helped a lot!

Here are a few shots on what I've added and or changed the past few days. I'm having trouble with animating those cut out covers, they don't want to cooperate.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture11.jpg   Capture12.jpg   Capture13.jpg  

Members +
    Lookin' good & patiently awaiting to see the final product. The older planes are so full of character. Many thanks for your contribution to our hobby.

Regards,
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Members who have read this thread: 1