CFS2 and System Restore: A word of warning!

Thread: CFS2 and System Restore: A word of warning!

CFS2 and System Restore: A word of warning!

Hi Guys

I'm not sure whether this has been covered before but I couldn't find a historic thread regarding the subject.

A word of warning learned from experience. If you find yourself in a position where you have to perform a system restore on your rig. You MUST ensure you back up your installs on an external drive and make sure it is physically detached from the system.

Why?

When you perform the system restore, it doesn't like all the lovely .cfg files so important for the smooth running of the system. I've just had the unfortunate experience of having to completely replace all my aircraft and ships. I'd backed up on an external HDD but left it connected and it removed all the files from there too.

Of course I may have missed a trick here and if anyone has anything to add please do.

Cheers
    Ian

A couple of months ago I had a situation where all my .cfg and .dat files disappeared. I wrote it off to a glitch in a then recent antivirus (Norton 360) update. Now I think it might have been the system restore. I since installed a new, clean version of CFS2 with no problems so far and even renewed my antivirus subscription with updates. I will keep this thread in mind the next time I do a system restore. Thanks for the tip. (I'm using Windows 7.)
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Move all sims and games to another drive or partition. Configure your system restore app and your antivirus app so that they don't bother with the entire drive. How?: Turn off SR for the drive and in your AV settings, add the drive to your exclusions list.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Members who have read this thread: 0