Microsoft May Do The Unthinkable

Thread: Microsoft May Do The Unthinkable

Blog Entries

Microsoft May Do The Unthinkable

Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rhumbaflappy View Post

I honestly can't imagine even Microsoft being so desperate as to create an interim program to move us off of XP and Win 7 :O)

cancel comment as irrelevant
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    I'm getting used to Windows 8.1 finally and certainly don't mind a free Windows 10 upgrade. Me thinks although, just a opinion but maybe MS wants to terminate XP, Vista out right as a high security risk. Just a theory although of mine.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Blog Entries
    since we are all telling lies, what about Uncle Bill Gates giving all his billions away to

on 1 of my hard drives which I no longer use is Vista, the worst of the worst.
    My rt tablet with 8.1 well MS already said there will be no free upgrade to 10
    my xp machine runs my old lazer printer which only will run on XP
    my win 7 is on my laptop and my big I7 machine
    Look What I Have Become!

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    I honestly can't imagine even Microsoft being so desperate as to create an interim program to move us off of XP and Win 7 :O)
    For what it's worth, we've been testing windows 10 at work and I like it a lot. I've also got it running at home on an older laptop (6 years old) and the old machine runs it beautifully. So it looks very promising. It combines the best things of 7 and 8.1, which is a good thing.

A free upgrade of Vista and 7 would be nice for most home users. But as someone who works in IT, I prefer the clean install option. I do agree though that mentioning the words free and Microsoft in the same sentence is, well uneasy to say the least.

People who want to try out Windows 10, there is a free technical preview of it available. I recommend it to all! You can get it here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...eview-download

Dumonceau

Blog Entries
    I agree Windows 10 is gonna be the cat's pajamas. Like Ickie almost everything I use has Windows 8.1 except my desktop which is still Windows 7 64bit. Apparently there will be a free upgrade path from 8.1 to 10 for a short time, whether they do or not I will migrate to Windows 10. I should have saved my post until April 1 LOL

.well i have a question about all this...ofcourse seeing is believing..but when i tried to upgrade this currant gateway vista desktop to win 7 some time back,within two yeaars..the windows "test if it will work" sorta thing told me that win 7 wouldnt run on this pc,so why would i even take a chance to try something like this new win 10?...and IF all this is true,is microsoft going to stop all support of vista and win7 like they did to XP?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    .well i have a question about all this...ofcourse seeing is believing..but when i tried to upgrade this currant gateway vista desktop to win 7 some time back,within two yeaars..the windows "test if it will work" sorta thing told me that win 7 wouldnt run on this pc,so why would i even take a chance to try something like this new win 10?...and IF all this is true,is microsoft going to stop all support of vista and win7 like they did to XP?
    Dave, what are the specs of that Gateway Vista desktop? Especially the processor and RAM are what interest me. until now, I haven't come across a machine that cannot run windows 7.

Like I said in my first post, I have windows 10 64 bit running on a 6 year old laptop with only 6 Gb's of ram, an old core 2 duo processor and a crappy integrated vid card. The thing never ran so good than with Windows 10.

Oh, and forget about the assessment tools of Microsoft. They're crap.

Johan

FWIW I have Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit running on an old Pentium 4 PC and it works great.

I considered 64 bit and decided against it as the thing only has 2GB of RAM and I will not be adding more to it.

I seem to remember this machine "not being able to run Win 7" according to MS.

cheers,
    Lane

SOH-CM-2023
    I have Windows XP Pro on 6 different DELL desktops that I use for various functions. Two for gaming, three for internet and stock trading and one for general admin/music/data burning. I would go along with Dumonceau in that I would NEVER do an upgrade to a new operating system. Have we forgotten all the trouble and headaches we had when "upgrading" a previous Windows op system to the new one ?? Getting the (correct) drivers and system files to make things work ?? No, no thank you.

If they offer a FREE CD/DVD CLEAN INSTALL package (THAT WORKS) that I can put on a new machine and/or (wipe the hard disk) on one of my desktops clean, then I would be interested. Otherwise, what I have is still working and Windows 7 machines are and will be getting cheaper on EBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    Hi Dave.

Check this out:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Dick

I've got VISTA 64-bit on my internet/multimedia machine and Win7 64-bit running on my Falcon gaming machine. VISTA runs most everything
    I throw at it as does Win7.

Interesting that MS is taking this route to maybe cleanup the consumer PC base operating systems.

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

I have various machines and various OS: a desktop and a netbook with XP pro service pack 3, an old laptop with Ubuntu Linux (with 500MB of RAM I can't use anything else), and a laptop with Win7. I still don't like Win7 and I don't like Win 8.1 either (my wife has a laptop with 8.1). I run all my games with XP and for what doesn't go with XP I use Win7. I am not afraid about security, hackers are more busy with the new stuff then the old one since companies have the trend to upgrade to a "safer" systems.....and anyway if they want to steal my debts, free to do it!

I simply don't trust Microsoft. 'Free upgrade'? Sure - a free skeleton program, which will need lots of add-ons to make it work properly, preferably paid for monthly to give them a nice cash flow. Then they've really got you by the ****

I am very happy with Win7 and see no need to change, but doubtless they will make it unusable with yet another 'upgrade'..... Sorry if I sound cynical, it goes with age and experience !

As my old science teacher taught us many many years ago -'ye canny get something for nothing'.......

As for Gates, an old countryman of mine fancied himself as a philanthropist too, but it never stopped him ruthlessly making money out of others - his name was Carnegie.

Members +
    My penny's worth...
    I simply don't trust Microsoft. 'Free upgrade'? Sure - a free skeleton program, which will need lots of add-ons to make it work properly, preferably paid for monthly to give them a nice cash flow. Then they've really got you by the ****...

Well, Smart Phones ALL come with free operating systems & the updates are free. Also, as I'm sure you know, you can add whatever apps you want, payware or freeware!

I am very happy with Win7 and see no need to change, but doubtless they will make it unusable with yet another 'upgrade'..... Sorry if I sound cynical, it goes with age and experience !

Great, stick with the old, if you are stll happy. I'm sure that there are still many people still using Windows XP, even though support has dwindled, so your comment about upgrades making W7 unusable is moot!

As my old science teacher taught us many many years ago -'ye canny get something for nothing'.......

As for Gates, an old countryman of mine fancied himself as a philanthropist too, but it never stopped him ruthlessly making money out of others - his name was Carnegie.

I'm sure you know by now, that Bill Gates's last full-time day @ Microsoft was 27th June 2008, & he stepped down as chairman in February 2014.

Actually, giving OS's away is great marketing, if you think about it. No more paying for updates, no more piracy. Remember, Linux is also free.

Dinasaurs did die out as well!

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    My penny's worth...
    I simply don't trust Microsoft. 'Free upgrade'? Sure - a free skeleton program, which will need lots of add-ons to make it work properly, preferably paid for monthly to give them a nice cash flow. Then they've really got you by the ****...

Well, Smart Phones ALL come with free operating systems & the updates are free. Also, as I'm sure you know, you can add whatever apps you want, payware or freeware!

Great, stick with the old, if you are stll happy. I'm sure that there are still many people still using Windows XP, even though support has dwindled, so your comment about upgrades making W7 unusable is moot!

I'm sure you know by now, that Bill Gates's last full-time day @ Microsoft was 27th June 2008, & he stepped down as chairman in February 2014.

Actually, giving OS's away is great marketing, if you think about it. No more paying for updates, no more piracy. Remember, Linux is also free.

Dinasaurs did die out as well!
    Excellent post! Couldn't agree with you more!

Johan

Members who have read this thread: 0