More AF Corsair Repaints - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: More AF Corsair Repaints

The majority of the Naval Reserve Corsairs and Hellcats all over the country in the years 1946 to about 1949, looked that way.

Here are just a few photos of just a few others like it - now that the Livermore scheme is done, I've been thinking of putting together a set of others like it, from other Naval Reserve stations from the same time period (especially the NAS New York and a NAS Glenview examples, as seen below) as well as others from the 50's, that are more like my NAS Minneapolis scheme.

By 1949, the markings appear darker, as seen below, perhaps by then switching to international orange, rather than yellow as the original 1946 guideline illustrations for this paint scheme outline. The first two below are from NAS Minneapolis (present-day Minneapolis International), circa 1949, operating side-by-side with Hellcats in matching schemes.

one I've been working on in the past...never got it complete

A comment about brakes (which might apply to many things): During a long career in flying it was always necessary to adapt ones self and technique to the plane and existing conditions. For a plane like the Corsair with a very heavy R2800 at the front, brakes had to be used with some skill. With some speed say, early during a landing roll up (or otherwise appropriate) elevator could be applied along with braking. However as the plane decelerates and aerodynamic control is reduced, one must come off the brakes to indeed not nose over!

The Corsair is a favorite aircraft, trusting to have an opportunity to run through all this again sometime in the future.

Regards: Tom

Any chance on this one john?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f4ucorsairinactionbookreviewbf_1.jpg  

Thanks John, Will enjoy this as much as all the others. Always look forward to your work.
    Also looking forward to the updates on the P-39.

S.

Bomber_12th - all these corsair repaints are great! They all have a lot more "pop" than the stock ones that come with the corsair.

Would it be possible to do a fictitious polished aluminum repaint with this model? Something like the Redbull P-38?

Unfortunately the model doesn't support alpha channels for the diffuse/base textures, which are required to add the dynamic reflective properties that are expected - if they did support the use of alpha channels, I would have made most of my Corsair repaints with (historically accurate) glossy sea blue paint as well. Because it doesn't, I used the specular maps and specular map alpha channels to add some more 'pop' into the appearance of the textures.

Ah... I see. That's too bad.

Your paints still look great, though! Keep up the good work!

Of course, with the Racers Expansion, you would get gloss effect..

VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Icon9 In search of the illusive Racer Expansion - Can anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by fsxar177 View Post
    Of course, with the Racers Expansion, you would get gloss effect..

Hello All,

It been a lot of years - does anyone know what happened to the work created/shared on the FSAS (FSX Air Sports Association) website (no longer active).

I'd be really excited to have #57 in my sim hangar - and the teaser is still their on the website.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture57.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	85862

Unfortunately, MSFS is the new kid on the block and everything FSX is 'dying' off, including user support. There's been a lot of talk online that FSX is harder to run in the newest windows versions, and many have simply given up. My W7 machine is showing its age, and with MS sending W7 out to pasture years ago, I too will soon be in W11 with MSFS, whether I like it or not. The 'living on borrowed time' scenario.

FSXASA was last active in 2016 AFAIK. That was the last year I was able to access their public repaint forum for some Mustang paints.

Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Members who have read this thread: 10