SketchUp, anyone else use this?

View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on Google SketchUp?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like and use it a lot. Easy to use, create/export into MCX without any issues

5 55.56%
  • Like it, but find it very frustrating to get something into MCX without texture problems.

1 11.11%
  • Tried it, although far too frustrating.

2 22.22%
  • Have never tried it.

0 0%
  • Never used it. I rely on others so I can use their objects.

1 11.11%

Thread: SketchUp, anyone else use this?

SketchUp, anyone else use this?

I know of a few here in the forums that use it. Falcon, Trucker
    Anyone else using it for creating?

I've used exclusively so far on 4 projects but it does have some limitations. The triade of Sketchup, Gimp, and MCX created my Lemoore project.

SketchUp for scenery objects is not bad IMO. For what it does can be useful.
    When I started playing around with it two (or so) years ago I was tripping over my feet trying different things. Back then, textures were a big issue to figure out. I have still not learned the optimal method for template design, even though I sorted out how to apply complex textures.

I've learned most from trial and error.
    I'll get my radio dialed in eventually.

Scketchup models tend to be very poly heavy. It will make double sided polys with textures.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

"None of the above". In other words I can't complete the poll because none of the options apply. I find Sketchup brilliant for working from photos (i.e. photo match) when making buildings, but I then import these into 3D Studio Max for further work before exporting using the Prepar3D SDK plugins. For modelling things other than buildings I either use another 3rd party software and import into Max again, or simply go straight to Max from the get-go. I think Sketchup is excellent tho and highly recommend it.

Andy

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Members who have read this thread: 0