DSR: DX10 Bliss at 1920x1080
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DSR: DX10 Bliss at 1920x1080

DSR: DX10 Bliss at 1920x1080

Here is what I've found, with a tip from SteveW at avsim, about how to maximize image quality using nividia's DSR in DX10 using a gtx 780 driving full screen at 1920 x 1080 with the 344.48 driver.

The first thing is to enable the 4x DSR factor (3x is almost as good; I didn't try anything less than 3x) and set DSR smoothness to 23% (any less introduced jaggies and any more blurred texture details) in the nvidia control panel. Then if you have DX10 AA and AF settings which you currently like dialed in with NI (or nvidia control panel) and Steve's Fixer program, leave them be except get rid of using transparency supersampling AA where ever you have it enabled. No need to change any other setting anywhere, other than the screen resolution setting in FSX. When DSR is enabled, the effective factor resolution will show up in the FSX screen resolution settings and it must be selected to see the benefit of DSR. The image quality I get using these setting is stunning both inside and outside the VC; I almost fell out my chair when I flew over some high quality photo scenery. My gtx 780 hits a max usage of about 80% using these setting with dense cloud cover; with the added bonus that since SSGS AA is not used, dense cloud cover no longer hammers performance as it once did since Steve's fixer disables standard AA for clouds. In lesser cloud cover the max usage was less than 60%.

When I first tried DSR, I treated it as an AA cure all, which it's not and only got marginal results using it as such. Having AA and AF setting enabled with DSR is essential for creating jaw dropping image quality. Unfortunately lesser gcards may not get away with these settings, but for those with a 770 or better, give it a try.
    Last edited by TheFamilyMan; November 1st, 2014 at 15:16.
    i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz/4.3Ghz cache | 2x4GB Samsung green @ 2133 9-10-10-24 T1 1.55v | Asus Z87-Pro | MSI gtx 780 TF gaming OC
    Corsair TX-750 | Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E |
    SSD: Sandisk 480GB (system), Samsung 250GB (FSX) | HD: 1T, 1T, 2T
    Asus 24" 2ms HD monitor | Saitek X52 Pro and petals | TrackIR 4

FSX: DX10 Fixer | REX 4
    | ASN | UTX USA/EUR/AK | GEX NA/EUR | FSGenesis mesh | FTX PNW/NorCal/NZSI | SceneryTech LC USA/EUR/Asia | Accufeel
    CFS: Rise of Flight | IL-2 HSFX

Attachment 14290Attachment 14289Attachment 14288Attachment 14287Attachment 14286Attachment 14285

No one else responded so I thought I would run a test with your settings. Bear in mind I have a Geforce 660GTX only (being impoverished ) There is some blurriness evident in some of the shots but that may be due to rapid changing of views externally. Overall though I was quite pleased with the results and the sim seemed smoother too. That was the Capt Sim B707 which is quite heavy on the frames normally I believe, I tried after with the Level D B767 and was equally impressed, then several freeware portovers.
    I will keep the settings.
    Thanks for pointing them out.

PC is a I7 2600K 16GbRAM MB Asus P8 Z68. FYI.

As to why my pics come out small I have no clue they are taken at 1920 x 1080.
    Last edited by Naismith; November 1st, 2014 at 23:42. Reason: edit
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Where can I find the DSR setting as in is it in inspector ? I also have a GTX780 so I would like to give iit a try.
    Thanks.

First you must update your driver to 344.48, then you will find
    it in the Nvidia Control panel under Manage 3D settings.

Regards,
    Nick.

I believe you must also install GeForce Experience in order for the DSR settings to show up (in Global Settings tab).
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

Hi thanks yes I had all the latest geforce drivers etc and I have found it.
    you mentioned turning off transparency supersampling, is this in global settings, nvidia inspector or DX10 fixer setting.
    Reason im asking is I turned it off in inspector and my trees had a really bad shimmering going on.
    I7 3700k @ 4.5 ghz, 2 x 8 gig 2133ghz ram, Evga gtx 780 classified, samsung 840 pro 250 gig ssd for op system, Win 7 64 bit ultimate, Samsung 840 evo for fsx photo scenery, 600 gig wd velocraptor for fsx, creative XFI fatality sound card.

Quote Originally Posted by odourboy View Post
    I believe you must also install GeForce Experience in order for the DSR settings to show up (in Global Settings tab).
    Nope! No need for that or PhysX or 3D stuff.

The problem is that DSR has spawned discussions in many different places ... so people need to search around a bit for other snippets of advice or "reviews".

I tried it (it was quite easy) but didn't find any *massive* improvement in quality ... BUT ... it did help with framerates in cloudy conditions (as we can disable SGSS). Also - the "V" screengrabs are at full resolution, so if you're into "arty" screenshots (I am!!) .... then you get a really hi-res image that scales down well (more information to interpolate with).

However - I find the tiny menus trade-off too much of a sacrifice. I need to read weather info from OPUS screens to enter into my MCDUs. I can temporarily drop back into windowed mode to read text at its normal size, but it's a bit of a nuisance!

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40-4.69GHz | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia RTX2060 8GB | Win10 2004 64-bit 24Gb RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski_NZ View Post
    (snip) However - I find the tiny menus trade-off too much of a sacrifice. I need to read weather info from OPUS screens to enter into my MCDUs. I can temporarily drop back into windowed mode to read text at its normal size, but it's a bit of a nuisance!

Adam.
    I too find this very annoying. Even the VC GPS now has tiny characters/symbols on its readout which is what bothers me the most. Maybe someone will find a config setting for this font size, for I may also decide that it's not worth it in the long run. But at least for me it'll be tough to go back: life <=> eyecandy ;-)

Edit: According to google it seems adjusting font sizes in FSX has been asked about since FSX first launch. The consensus is its hard coded :-(
    i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz/4.3Ghz cache | 2x4GB Samsung green @ 2133 9-10-10-24 T1 1.55v | Asus Z87-Pro | MSI gtx 780 TF gaming OC

| ASN | UTX USA/EUR/AK | GEX NA/EUR | FSGenesis mesh | FTX PNW/NorCal/NZSI | SceneryTech LC USA/EUR/Asia | Accufeel

I found my image is better with 4x sgss in DX10.
    I am either doing something wrong or DSR doesn't agree with my FSX.
    I7 3700k @ 4.5 ghz, 2 x 8 gig 2133ghz ram, Evga gtx 780 classified, samsung 840 pro 250 gig ssd for op system, Win 7 64 bit ultimate, Samsung 840 evo for fsx photo scenery, 600 gig wd velocraptor for fsx, creative XFI fatality sound card.

Quote Originally Posted by sleightflight View Post
    I am either doing something wrong or DSR doesn't agree with my FSX.
    In FSX, did you select the DSR resolution in the screen resolution setting? Without doing that there is no DSR being applied. Adam pointed out its nasty side effect, which you'll notice right away if you've got it set up correctly.

+1 The small text and menus are just too much for these old eyes. It is nice, though, to not have the performance hit that SGSS brings while flying in clouds. Evenso, I'm back to 4X SGSS.

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

I selected DSR 4 in the nvidia control panel and 23 % underneath, then saved settings.
    I didn't notice the small menu problem so maybe I did something wrong.

Me thinks you did something right!

Just curious... how do you have your monitor connected to the video card? I use a DVI-I cable for my HP2475w/GTX 770 combo? Might be helpful if others chimed in with their connections, too.

Thanks,

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

I selected DSR 4 in the nvidia control panel and 23 % underneath, then saved settings.
    Then you have to go to Change Resolution.
    You will see a list of the DSR resolutions you
    activated at the top.
    Select one and click apply.
    If you chose 4x, you will probably need a
    magnifying glass to read further.
    However, your FSX picture should be pin
    sharp.

Regards,
    Nick.

Nope! No need for that or PhysX or 3D stuff.

The problem is that DSR has spawned discussions in many different places ... so people need to search around a bit for other snippets of advice or "reviews".

I tried it (it was quite easy) but didn't find any *massive* improvement in quality ... BUT ... it did help with framerates in cloudy conditions (as we can disable SGSS). Also - the "V" screengrabs are at full resolution, so if you're into "arty" screenshots (I am!!) .... then you get a really hi-res image that scales down well (more information to interpolate with).

However - I find the tiny menus trade-off too much of a sacrifice. I need to read weather info from OPUS screens to enter into my MCDUs. I can temporarily drop back into windowed mode to read text at its normal size, but it's a bit of a nuisance!

Adam.
    Good to have this confirmed. I'm uninstalling GeForce Experience immediately! :-)
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

Ok I will have another look.
    Thanks.
    I am connected via HDMI.

dunno if it will help anyone else but you can increase text size overall by right clicking on your desktop - selecting screen resolution - and down toward the bottom left "make text size and other items larger or smaller"
    and increase to maximum...it helps with the menus in FSX a lil' bit - better than nothing...

so far this is the new best mod for FSX I have seen and it really does work on two fronts - image quality and FPS in weather conditions...two key elements of improvement needless to say...but I said it anyway

a Big Thank You to TheFamilyMan for this HU on our forum - great find !
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    dunno if it will help anyone else but you can increase text size overall by right clicking on your desktop - selecting screen resolution - and down toward the bottom left "make text size and other items larger or smaller" and increase to maximum...it helps with the menus in FSX a lil' bit - better than nothing...
    Though this changes everything on the *desktop*, it does nothing for in-FSX menus or dialog/info boxes. When I minimise FSX (for instance to change my OPUS weather or camera settings) I get my normal desktop resolution anyway - it's totally independent of the high resolution (DSR) FSX window. In fact, when FSX is in a window (and therefore DSR doesn't kick in), all my menus/info boxes are normal - so I use that as a quick "kludge" to view tiny text.

Some other observations:

1) The smoothness slider (and other settings in the left-hand "Manage 3D settings/Global Settings" nVidia CP tab) are *dynamic* - and will change the image in FSX after minimising/maximising. The other settings (Program Settings: game-specific/profile tab) need an FSX restart.

2) When saving images using the traditional "V" key, some of the effects from the left-hand Manage 3D settings tab (notably smoothness) aren't saved - though the image is in glorious full resolution. In other words, the effects are output "on the fly" by the GPU to your display only.

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40-4.69GHz | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia RTX2060 8GB | Win10 2004 64-bit 24Gb RAM

thats interesting - because increasing text size as I referred to does work for me in FSX menus, ATC etc...without the adjustment I absolutely cannot read them, but with the change, I can

perhaps it isnt so much an increase in size of the fonts but in the boldness thus clarity of them that are enhanced by the setting...at least on my end

I agree with your other findings however
    enter..the Sandman

thats interesting - because increasing text size as I referred to does work for me in FSX menus, ATC etc...without the adjustment I absolutely cannot read them, but with the change, I can

perhaps it isnt so much an increase in size of the fonts but in the boldness thus clarity of them that are enhanced by the setting...at least on my end
    Just to be sure - on your system - this is when FSX is in full-screen mode and not in a window?

It may be something to do with enabling/disabling the Aero theme <?>.

I use an FSUIPC command to re-enable Aero on FSX startup (as FSX disables it by default). There's a good article about that here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/423474-...nd-aero-theme/

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020

Just to be sure - on your system - this is when FSX is in full-screen mode and not in a window?

It may be something to do with enabling/disabling the Aero theme <?>.

I use an FSUIPC command to re-enable Aero on FSX startup (as FSX disables it by default). There's a good article about that here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/423474-...nd-aero-theme/

Adam.
    yes full screen - I do not use the windowed method.
    I use Steves Fixer but have never considered Aero one way or the other...I do not re-enable it if FSX shuts it off then it is off when I use FSX
    Isnt Aero just a series of useless visual gimmicks, fades images on switching, drop shadows around icons, themes and a whatnot...? all the stuff I shut off on purpose to streamline Win7...? I like a gray taskbar...

gratuitous screenshot of the Zlin at O85 near Redding with DSR enabled
    enter..the Sandman

yes full screen - I do not use the windowed method.
    I use Steves Fixer but have never considered Aero one way or the other...I do not re-enable it if FSX shuts it off then it is off when I use FSX
    Isnt Aero just a series of useless visual gimmicks, fades images on switching, drop shadows around icons, themes and a whatnot...? all the stuff I shut off on purpose to streamline Win7...? I like a gray taskbar...
    I agree about gimmicky eye candy. However - if you read through to near the bottom of the first page of that topic/link, you'll see some people reported that they need to have it re-enabled. Maybe it's because they use Aero as their desktop theme - and switching from Aero to non-Aero is the problem <?>.

I just checked my desktop - looks like I don't actually have Aero running as my desktop. I still have an FSUIPC script running to turn it on, though ... hmmm .. shouldn't be there!

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020

I agree about gimmicky eye candy. However - if you read through to near the bottom of the first page of that topic/link, you'll see some people reported that they need to have it re-enabled. Maybe it's because they use Aero as their desktop theme - and switching from Aero to non-Aero is the problem <?>.

I just checked my desktop - looks like I don't actually have Aero running as my desktop. I still have an FSUIPC script running to turn it on, though ... hmmm .. shouldn't be there!

Adam.
    I will defer to your expertise on the matter, Adam - you have done more qualitative experimenting than I have.

I'm more of a dartboard hack when it comes to most PC issues - but - for whatever reason, the slight enhancement of switching the settings in the screen resolution interface to make text and icons larger is the difference between me being able to see and read the now fine print in FSX menu items, and not.
    enter..the Sandman

I'm more of a dartboard hack when it comes to most PC issues - but - for whatever reason, the slight enhancement of switching the settings in the screen resolution interface to make text and icons larger is the difference between me being able to see and read the now fine print in FSX menu items, and not.
    This one has me stumped! I tried again last night - with and without the Aero re-enable. I get larger fonts etc. on the desktop - and the settings apply to other applications (like OPUS) that are in supplementary windows, but the text in FSX menus when in full-screen mode (and DSR operating) is unchanged. I wonder how you have your system set up that you get it working and I don't :lol:.

However - increasing the font size makes a bit of a mess of my desktop - as well as over-enlarging any other application I choose to run (other than FSX) so I'm not likely to use this "fix". It's easier for me to quickly drop FSX into windowed mode when I want to read the small print!

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020

This one has me stumped! I tried again last night - with and without the Aero re-enable. I get larger fonts etc. on the desktop - and the settings apply to other applications (like OPUS) that are in supplementary windows, but the text in FSX menus when in full-screen mode (and DSR operating) is unchanged. I wonder how you have your system set up that you get it working and I don't :lol:.

However - increasing the font size makes a bit of a mess of my desktop - as well as over-enlarging any other application I choose to run (other than FSX) so I'm not likely to use this "fix". It's easier for me to quickly drop FSX into windowed mode when I want to read the small print!

Adam.
    my desktop is unaffected by my alteration - the only discernible change I have is the mouse pointer is swollen to double its normal size
    maybe the difference is in the DSR setting - I have it at 2x(1980x1200) for 2715x1627 @ 33% smoothness net res. on my HP monitor and I have beautiful images with no hit to my FPS / in fact - I have an average 10-15% increase in FPS overall from prior to the DSR tweak

enter..the Sandman

Members who have read this thread: 0