~ Mystery Helicopter, never seen before & very narrow body ~

Thread: ~ Mystery Helicopter, never seen before & very narrow body ~

~ Mystery Helicopter, never seen before & very narrow body ~

While sitting outside here in Chadron, northwestern Nebraska, less than 10 minutes ago, a helicopter was suddenly heard coming from west heading straight east over town. It really snuck up, the rotors spinning slowly & pretty quietly. The appearance of the craft was like nothing personally ever seen, nor can anything be found online so far, in both images & web, in the several minutes since while Googling.

Appearance- Extremely slim, narrow body; red & white paint; pointy snout; a dark boom of sorts sticking well out from the right side & bent downward toward the end. This helicopter is far narrower than an unarmed Apache, the sleekest whirlybird you can imagine, with an unusual sound to the rotors being quieter & beating slower. It appeared that it may have counter-props. Estimated altitude: 700 to 800 feet agl, flying almost straight over my head at the zenith. Am absolutely stumped so far. Drone, perhaps?

A very curious sighting, obviously an ultra-modern design. Anyone been seeing anything like this? Anyone have any information? Have got one idea but this sounds unusual enough without my speculation this early on. Thanks.

​.

Thanks, Marcel. Am thinking you've nailed it spot on. More white than this one though the red was just as intense:

http://up-ship.com/blog/wp-content/u...8/Dsc_2269.jpg

Looks like these 60-something peepers of mine can still recognize counter-prop action & my widdle bwain is still firing on enough thrusters to adequately describe this for someone to recognize what it is. As the uses include drones (mentioned as used in Afghanistan) it makes me wonder if this one seen here within the half hour was one.

First time, what a sight & sound treat. Highly interesting craft. Again, thank you for the fast response, Marcel. Myself, am still only half-fast.

​.

These showed up on some logging and heavy lift you-tubes. Don't know what else they get used for.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

being a red and white K-Max...im wondering if it was a fire fighting aircraft...not sure about the boom..that sounds deff like a logging outfit...but the red n white paint hollars fire to me..weve had several of them on the west coast this season..but they travel all over the us..

One slim-as-a-fish whirlybird: http://heliqwest.com/wp-content/uplo...et_us_pic3.jpg

Had not doubt noticed only one of the rear landing gear assemblies, the port side one simply not visible from my perspective, as she was just to the side of straight overhead when passing over the center of town. Likely not a boom after all, as it's gear does not retract on any seen online since. Powerful craft, obvious from the deep sound of the rotors loping along. Nothing being hauled, dry flight, appeared brand-spankin' new. Hoping to see more as well as determine if it was simply passing through or is working in the area. Drone still a distinct possibility, going on intuition alone.

Thank you for your responses.

​.

Quote Originally Posted by aeromed202 View Post
    These showed up on some logging and heavy lift you-tubes. Don't know what else they get used for.
    Just about anything. The useful load is nearly 3½ tons. The slow, high-lift rotor system also puts out a reduced wash, so it's useful in situations where other eggbeaters might be too much.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

this look anything like what you saw?..never mind the bambi bucket..just an almost directly under photo..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fire_kmax-dropping1_zps9ad654d1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	13125

http://www.swansongroupaviation.com/...refighting.php

here is a Kmax on stand by for the Applegate fire in northern california,very close to me btw,this is the Helibase at Blue Canyon (Canon as named by the Central Pacific RR,at some point in time,i dont remember without looking it up again,either the state,or just the people of Ca renamed alot of spanish named locations,and yes there are still many out there..this may have been a railroad only thing ,i seem to remember reading it in a book on the donner summit crossing of the transcontinental rr )

anywho...there is a Kmax on the runray just over the top of the cab of the roseville city engine.

Name:	bluecanyon_zpsbab192c8.jpg 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	13127

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post

this look anything like what you saw?..

Name:	fire_kmax-dropping1_zps9ad654d1.jpg 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	13125

http://www.swansongroupaviation.com/...refighting.php
    Yep, that be the critter. Pretty wild the first time you experience one.
    Like a giant, flying walking stick when viewed from below.

​.

Members who have read this thread: 0