Having a sound problem

Thread: Having a sound problem

Having a sound problem

Not sure where to post this, but I'll try here.

I have lost most of the sound that comes with music or YouTube videos from the internet. I have not made any changes to settings. The sound just barely comes in, all the settings that I have found in the
    computer show the sound volume all the way up.
    What doesn't make sense is that the sound works fine on FSX. This would indicate to me that the problem is not with the speakers.
    I'm using Windows 7.
    I asked this at the Flightsim Video and Audio forum a few days ago, so far not a single reply. Maybe someone here has some idea what the problem might be ?
    Thanks for any ideas.

Sound Issues

Have you checked in the device manager to make sure that their isn't a yellow exclamation point next to your audio device, this can mean that their is a conflict with other devices in your computer. Check to make sure that your speakers aren't muted in the toolbar. Is the speaker cord plugged in all the way in your computer? You can also try to update the driver of the audio device and see if that helps. Can you get sound if you plug in a headset in another audio plug?

Here is a link to help you trouble shoot within device manager:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/133240
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Asus P8Z68 M
    Intel i7-2700
    16 GB of Ram
    GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Quote Originally Posted by airtj View Post
    Have you checked in the device manager to make sure that their isn't a yellow exclamation point next to your audio device, this can mean that their is a conflict with other devices in your computer. Check to make sure that your speakers aren't muted in the toolbar. Is the speaker cord plugged in all the way in your computer? You can also try to update the driver of the audio device and see if that helps. Can you get sound if you plug in a headset in another audio plug?

Here is a link to help you trouble shoot within device manager:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/133240
    Thank you for the reply and suggestions.
    I ran the device manager, there are no exclamation points, while there, I ran the "Check for latest drivers"....they all said "The drivers installed are the best available".
    The speaker icon on the toolbar says 100%. I have pulled out the speaker cord on the back of the computer and re-installed it.....no difference.
    The fact that the sound works fine when running FSX would indicate that the cord is properly installed and that the speakers are working. I always have headphones plugged into the speakers, it makes no difference whether the headphones are in or using just the speakers.
    It seems like it would be an easier problem to fix if the sound did not work at all. I assume that the sound in FSX is coming from the hard drive, but what isn't working is the sound that comes through the internet.

Sorry I misinterpreted the post. What internet browser are you using? Have you tried to reset the internet browser back to default to see if that helps? When you are watching a youtube video is their an x in front of the speaker symbol?
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Asus P8Z68 M
    Intel i7-2700
    16 GB of Ram
    GeForce GTX 550 Ti

airtj : I'm using Internet Explorer. I'll see if there is something in there that can be changed, maybe go back to a previous version. There isn't an X in front of the speaker symbol.

I wouldn't be surprised if something got changed in one of those Microsoft updates that seem to happen once every couple of months. Some of those updates make things worse.

Try installing another browser like pale moon or firefox and see if you get the same problem.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Asus P8Z68 M
    Intel i7-2700
    16 GB of Ram
    GeForce GTX 550 Ti

I had something like this with XP and a site called Kelly's Korner had a plethora of little fixer tools and patches, one of which fixed a corrupted default sound problem. Sadly that site is gone, but below is a link to another such site. I can't vouch for the safeness of these fix tools but it might be worth a look. BTW, did you try Check Disk? This is an intrinsic MS tool that has also helped with a problem or two in the past, might at least confirm no MS issues. Depending on the HD size it can take a few hours, but it's automatic once started so it can run overnight. Be sure to check the automatically fix option. Good luck.

http://www.gegeek.com/
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Windows 7 (maybe others) has a mixer option on the volume slider - have you checked to make sure that sounds from Explorer are at the same level as other programs and system sounds? The slider when you open it only has the main volume slider, but the bottom should have a button that says "mixer", which, if you click it, will open sliders for all the running programs, and you can control program volumes individually.

Quote Originally Posted by AckAck View Post
    Windows 7 (maybe others) has a mixer option on the volume slider - have you checked to make sure that sounds from Explorer are at the same level as other programs and system sounds? The slider when you open it only has the main volume slider, but the bottom should have a button that says "mixer", which, if you click it, will open sliders for all the running programs, and you can control program volumes individually.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I checked it and all three sliders are set at 100%.
    I tried System Restore and set things back three weeks, still very little sound except for FSX.
    We have another computer in the house that runs off the router that this computer is on. It is also on Internet Explorer. The sound works fine on the other computer.
    Somewhere in this computer is a volume control that got turned down, I tried everywhere I can think of, but can't find it. I wonder if some setting was changed in one of those Microsoft updates?

Have you taken a look in the Control Panel's Sound? There maybe somthing in one of the Advanced part that got changed.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Have you taken a look in the Control Panel's Sound? There maybe somthing in one of the Advanced part that got changed.

Allen: I checked this before, but just checked it again. Everything shows the volume as being set at 100%.
    This is the first time I have been completely at a lost for what happened. It isn't something that is common, as someone has always had an answer. Close to 200 people at the Flightsim audio and video forum have read the thread and not a single reply. It's been much more helpful here.

If I can't straighten it out, I'll have to use the other computer if there is something from the internet that I want to hear.

This may sound stupid but, Start at the sound card and give all the plugs a "spin". Take this all the way to the speakers. Sometimes they get a little corroded and just need to move a little.
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    This may sound stupid but, Start at the sound card and give all the plugs a "spin". Take this all the way to the speakers. Sometimes they get a little corroded and just need to move a little.
    The plug has been unplugged and plugged back in and turned at both ends, no difference.
    As stated a couple of times, the sound works fine on FSX, so all connections are working. It has something to do with the way the sound is being muted when it comes from the internet.

Members who have read this thread: 1