Would Anyone Else like to see an X-Plane Discussion Board here - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Would Anyone Else like to see an X-Plane Discussion Board here

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Signed up at the X-Plane forum, just to see what's going on. Looks active and I didn't see much "told you so" over the demise of Aces, in fact some of the posts were sorry to see MSFS go.
    Valid point here. I'm often following the XPlane.org forum because it's the most active one for X-Plane, and I'm interested by the features of this simulator since years.

Sure this forum has some pretty stupid members, but that's the case in most forums, including FS9/FSX forums (just looks a little back in time, the behavior of some FS9'ers when FSX appeared). Thruth is that behind those guys, there are a whole bunch of nice guys, real sim enthusiats with a BRAIN, willing to help and inform... just like on any other forum.

Now, the page from Meyer about welcoming the rats that leave the FS sinking ship.... that's really funny. This guy is being a little bit too much optimistic on the delays. It will take years before FSX looses his interest.

I am personnaly considering buying XPlane 9. It's not that I want to leave FSX, because FSX gives me most of what I need in a flight sim. However, XPlane has some stuff that is missing in FSX, mainly for the flight models (you know, vectored thrust, space flight etc...) and that's something I want to experience. Now, having seen tons of XPlane screenshots, I can safely state that the XPlane graphics are [MARQUEE]TERRIBLE[/MARQUEE] for the most part. Being a VFR, low and slow lovers, XPlane has really NOTHING to offer me in this area at this time, but I expect this will change in future, because we all know how fast this sim evolves.

Leaving the FS world just because MS is stopping the developpments would be stupid. We all know waht modules can do, how much they can add features that did not exist before (rcbo stuff is THE perfect example).

But ignoring the XPlane world just because it is XPlane would be even more stupid. Concerning the original question in this topic, I don't really know what to answer. On one hand, the XPlane.org is the main forum for XPlane, all the experienced users are there, all the informations are there.
    On the other hand, I would prefer discovering the XPlane world within a community I know, you guys here :friday:, instead of risking the Harleyman experience on the other forum. :hand:

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    They remind me of the people at People's Temple-Jim Jones group and they love their Kool-Aid. Austin is the Exalted One and as you say IAN Microsoft the evil empire. I will say that some of them have been extremely kind about the ACES deal and have great sympathy for their plight, but then you get the other mob that can't see beyond the forest they created.

BTW Michael their sales may be up but they are not counting the ones who buy it, try it and toss it! Those are in the majority. I meet them on facebook and other sim sites like Flight Gear. Still I think an XPlane forum over here would be cool we haven't drunk the Kool-Aid.
    Ted
    I've got plenty of KOOL-AID left for free.

Seriously, I purchased X-Plane today but have yet to install it. A forum here might be nice, but if there are others elsewhere that should suffice for now. Should MSFS die altogether then a full time forum would be necessary. MS discontinued a space sim and the combat sims and they have not returned......yet.

Just to balance out my purchases, I got a duplicate of FSX, but in the Gold version. Want MS to know there is life in there sim still, and also have a spare should my other discs go kaput.

I have track ir4 and hope that it will work.

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    I cant see FS dying.. Look at CFS1! Still tons of followers.. I will not throw away my CFS1 disc. Too good of a sim. Now and then I load it up. I still intend to try CFS2 someday. I think FS9 and FSX will be here for ages....

As for X-Plane, its just a different sim. Its not really competing as its so different from FS. FS has 'alot' to offer. X-Plane does not, but it does have alot for what it is. Goodness, its got Autogen, cloud shading on Earth, real world aerodynamics, weapons systems.

Comparing the two though is almost like comparing FS to CFS. Two diff sims.

Yep, I would massively enjoy a X-Plane forum room. I want to get a couple of my own birds converted to XP9 format, and also learn how to get those planes 'twitchiness' dialed out. Looks like some fun going in there and making some improvements.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Wow, I have only flown MSFS and know nothing about X-Plane first hand but this thread speaks volumes about who has drank the kool-aide. I would just like to remind people that X-Plane and FSX are both games in hopes that that people realise there is no winner or loser, rooting for a home team, hate them because their planes look poopy and mine are shiney........

After sifting through much BS it sounds like, from the people who play both games and don't look at it as a competition in which one or the other must be backed to win or if someone says something bad about the FS I own I must take it personal, that X-Plane is much behind FSX in most everything.

I guess the thing that intrigues me about X-Plane is its use of physics in flight modeling and the fact it is still in development and will get better. MS got out of the CFS arena years ago and failed to give FSX the ability to really support that. I may be wrong here, but X-Plane could possibly fill that void.

But other than Combat there are many other things that I feel were left out of FSX that X-Plane might include in theirs as it is developed. Online play with greater player interaction to create more purpose for flying. Combat, Cargo runs, airlines, competitions..... all things that could make the experience more enjoyable. Look at what people go through for the Around the world race competitions and such, there is so much potential here.

Hardware is developing rapidly and the i7 PCs of today can calculate a lot more physics than the best 8P systems 4 years ago. I would really like to see an X-Plane forum so I can keep track of developments in this platform. I am downloading the demo now so I can do some stalls and see how the program works.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    I still intend to try CFS2 someday.
    Bill

C'mon down to the basement. Ya know ya want too!:woot:

:focus:

I think theres would be a problem with opening a X-Plane forum here. Sure X-Plane may have a long way to go, but its still a viable option for folks. We have an IL2 forum here don't we? Besides with the vast majority of the good crew we have here already I doubt anything would get out of control... too much...

And as far as X-plane9 vs FSX vs FS9 is much like IL2 vs CFS2. WHO CARES?! CFS2 is my main WWII combat sim, it has a soft spot in my heart. IL2 is better generally graphics wise and is much better for jumping online and playing with other thinking (I'd hope) people. FS9 is awesome for civi flying. Why don't I fly FSX? Well I haven't really tired it on my rig, (last time I did try it on my old rig it didn't run all that great...) and I like all the add-ons and stuff I already have with FS9.

I admit I haven't tried X-plane, and the big kicker? As others have said, the community. If there was a forum here, I'd give it a shot! gamming is a fun pasttime, but gamming and disgussing it wiht good like minded and interested folks? priceless! *Why else do ya think has the basement been working and running for so dang long?*:gossip:
    Take my love, take my land / Take me where I cannot stand, I don't care, I'm still free / You can't take the sky from me.

Take me out to the black / Tell 'em I ain't comin' back.

Burn the land and boil the sea / You can't take the sky from me...

I just got done playing the demo and must say it is a much better game than I expected and flying planes in X-plane feels much different than FSX. In X-Plane you can feel the planes instability much more and it feels more like you are flying, especially at low speeds. I was still disappointed in the physics when I did stalls and such but it seemed more realistic during take-off and landing. As others previously stated the graphics don't seem very good after playing FSX, but I found them tollerable, but I also had everything turned way up in 1920X1200.

The demo actually left me wanting more and for $40 at Wal-Mart I think I will grab a copy when I can afford it. :ernae:

I am neither a pilot, nor have I tried x-plane; but one of my brothers flies helicopters, and says the helicopter flight model in x-plane is much better than the one found in MSFS.

MCDesigns
    I still intend to try CFS2 someday.
    CFS2 was my first sim and I LOVED it. if it had water and texture resolution like FSX, I'd still be flying it.

I am neither a pilot, nor have I tried x-plane; but one of my brothers flies helicopters, and says the helicopter flight model in x-plane is much better than the one found in MSFS.
    I'd agree with that, having used X-Plane 7 to practice when I was undergoing basic rotary training. I was landing the Blackhawk on garage rooftops like it was going out of fashion, whereas I can barely fly the damn things in FSX. From memory I stopped using it shortly after Strike Fighters came out which had better graphics (probably still does considering the advances in both) and let me blow things up, and then I got back into FS to help make the Ark Royal.
    I'd say the main reason I haven't gone back to X-Plane is that I don't feel the graphics and complexity of setting it up are worth the cost and when I say complexity I was using only X-Plane for a good couple of years and I still found it a PITA. At the same time I'm getting an urge to dig out the discs again and give it a whirl...

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MCDesigns View Post
    CFS2 was my first sim and I LOVED it. if it had water and texture resolution like FSX, I'd still be flying it.
    In MS, CFS1 was mine. Loved it. I also had Red Baron, Flying Corps Gold, Fly (a very cool sim for back then with photoreal terrain), and a couple of others.

Flying Corps Gold was so darn extreme, you had to learn to go into pattern entry to land at the grass aerodrome with other planes. What an awesome game that was. Flying over the front was wild... bombshelled out, blackened, flak going off... Great detail. (Loved igniting those low alt. observation balloons).

Bill

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    I was using only X-Plane for a good couple of years and I still found it a PITA. At the same time I'm getting an urge to dig out the discs again and give it a whirl...
    For me, its the interface, like remembering which keys are which, and tuning the sim..

If only all flight sims used the same keys, like the 'shoot-em-up' games do. W, move forward, F-pick up the new weapon, G-throw the grenade, Q-lean to the left....

arrghh...

Bill

If only all flight sims used the same keys,
    Amen to that, I mainly use FSX and the Strike Fighters series and that's chaos enough. Anything else I pick up tends to result in randomly hitting keys to get the reaction I want.

I have occasionally tried mapping my X-52 the same way for all my sims but there's always some command one needs that the others don't even have and it all goes to hell!

EgoR64

Anyone tried running under Linux, Re-Built an Old Rig collecting dust thought I would attempt to run under an older copy od Suse Linux 10.0 ?? :friday:

Cheers !!

In MS, CFS1 was mine. Loved it. I also had Red Baron, Flying Corps Gold, Fly (a very cool sim for back then with photoreal terrain), and a couple of others.

Flying Corps Gold was so darn extreme, you had to learn to go into pattern entry to land at the grass aerodrome with other planes. What an awesome game that was. Flying over the front was wild... bombshelled out, blackened, flak going off... Great detail. (Loved igniting those low alt. observation balloons).

Bill
    Nothing can beat the formation flying in your Camel with a Zeppelin slowly going down in flames... Wings of Glory !! :woot:

...RedBaron3D. One of the best single player campaigns done ever and fantastic multiplayer + still active game community with tons of addons. EOT.

But seriously, dedicated SOH section for the X-Plane would be very interesting.

So, is there someone in charge that is going to add an X-Plane section or can at least give an answer as to if there will be an X-Plane section?

I just purchased X-Plane and fly FSX and X-Plane 9 now as others on this forum do. It would be nice to not post about X-Plane in the FSX thread as I can see how that might irritate some of the FSX only people. I would like to be able to discuss X-Plane add-ons and such still. Please let me know if it is in the works. I have some questions for other X-Plane users, I like your forum and its users, and would perfer to stay on this forum only if it is willing to support X-Plane discussion also.

Also on the X-Plane front. I just got my free A-6 Texan from http://www.jrollon.com/Texan.html and love its flight modeling. It slips, crabs, stalls, and does so many advanced manuvers so realisticly I can't get enough ( well 10 minutes worth at a time due to flying in demo waiting for my X-Plane 9 copy to arrive ).

Please let me know of any good free must have add-ons I should be downloading while I wait for my X-Plane to arrive in the mail.

Thanks

Don't shoot me (really... don't), but I picked up a copy of X-Plane last week. I'm still in the configuring and tweaking phase, but I'll be trying some flights soon. One thing that noticed is that my TrackIR works as expected in the VC's in this version, something that I could never get to work in the 9.0 demo, so that's a big plus. Still, there's clearly a formidable learning curve to the sim, and it would be nice to have a spot here at SOH where we can have friendly discussions and try to figure it all out.

Ordered it a couple of days ago so yeah, would be good to see something like that. It's good to not have to google up all the (new) addons by yourself hehe. I guess I'm just a bit lazy.:ernae:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by spotlope View Post
    Don't shoot me (really... don't), but I picked up a copy of X-Plane last week. I'm still in the configuring and tweaking phase, but I'll be trying some flights soon. One thing that noticed is that my TrackIR works as expected in the VC's in this version, something that I could never get to work in the 9.0 demo, so that's a big plus. Still, there's clearly a formidable learning curve to the sim, and it would be nice to have a spot here at SOH where we can have friendly discussions and try to figure it all out.
    It took me awhile before I found the " Lateral Field of View " setting. This is very important for a person to find right away in the demo because I was going nuts with the "zoomed in" appearance while trying to fly. I found to just set it at 100 degrees and zoom in if needed, this way it acts just like FSX. I also have had a lot of fun with their weather generator. I really love the snow, rain, and turbulence in X-Plane. Cross wind landings are so much fun in X-Plane. :ernae:

I wonder if the site Admin has taken any notice to the amount of people in just the FSX thread that have X-Plane and would like a discussion thread that supports it? It seems strange that it wouldn't have happened by now, but I don't know if this site encourages membership as I never see too many adds on it and sounds like it survives on donations mainly.

SOH-CM-2014
    Hey Major,

Yep, that setting worked for me also. I hated having my nose against the panel. I was trying to move the eyepoint back, lol....

You know what would be cool is if Austin put out a little questionaire that asked for suggestions for XP. That would be my first one. A slider right in the open (first on the list) that was for that vary adjustment.

I agree. Now that XP is the only 'sim' being manufactured, it would be nice to add it to the halls of FS.

Bill

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Major_Spittle View Post
    So, is there someone in charge that is going to add an X-Plane section or can at least give an answer as to if there will be an X-Plane section?

I just purchased X-Plane and fly FSX and X-Plane 9 now as others on this forum do. It would be nice to not post about X-Plane in the FSX thread as I can see how that might irritate some of the FSX only people. I would like to be able to discuss X-Plane add-ons and such still. Please let me know if it is in the works. I have some questions for other X-Plane users, I like your forum and its users, and would perfer to stay on this forum only if it is willing to support X-Plane discussion also.

Also on the X-Plane front. I just got my free A-6 Texan from http://www.jrollon.com/Texan.html and love its flight modeling. It slips, crabs, stalls, and does so many advanced manuvers so realisticly I can't get enough ( well 10 minutes worth at a time due to flying in demo waiting for my X-Plane 9 copy to arrive ).

Please let me know of any good free must have add-ons I should be downloading while I wait for my X-Plane to arrive in the mail.

Thanks

im not in charge, but noted
    i will pass it along to the people in charge
    H

If only all flight sims used the same keys,
    I just configured my controls to be the same as FSX. No issues then everything operates (at least in the cockpit) the same with both.

I do admit I dont like the interface as much as FS but thats just the clothes. Otherwise I enjoy XP greatly!

I have made great strides of late in the "assimilation" process. If ya'll have any questions I might be able to ease the transition.
    Regards, Bob

Core i7-9470 4.4GHz 8MB Cache | Dual 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | 16GB DDR3 SDRAM at 2300Mhz | 500GB Samsung Evo SSD | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 1200 Watt Power Supply| Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    im not in charge, but noted
    i will pass it along to the people in charge
    H
    Thanks Henry.

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Its not as easy as 123
    i would need a couple of Mods
    who are knowledgeable with X plane
    Volunteers could pm me
    this is not a yes or no
    im investigating
    H

I just bought XP v9 a few days ago, and at first, I was a little "iffy" on it. However, after spending a few days with it, I haven't really touched FSX. The entire install for XP v9 is crazy, and IIRC, comes in at about 80 GB. The default aircraft are pretty poor, but some of the add-ons are fantastic. For example, check out the Alphajet by XPFR....WOW:

http://xpfr-aeroplanes.dtccorp.org/a...jet/intro.html

It looks gorgeous in-game and flies great!

Something about XP intrigues me. For some reason, the FS series just doesn't feel right to me (in a lot of cases), almost as if many of the aircraft are flying on rails or something. When I land in XP, I actually feel like I'm landing, like I'm working to get the aircraft on the ground. With Flightsim., it is almost as if I can hop in and land whenever I want wherever in whatever I want with minimal effort. Also, I see a lot of folks around the net knocking the scenery in XP....why? The scenery I have seen in-game looks awesome. Deep valleys, high mountains, clouds that actually cast moving shadows on the ground, nice looking water, road traffic.............and good performance! I guess, in a lot of ways, I don't see why so many folks are so "against" X-Plane. Is it the product, or is it something else I am not aware of?

Both sims have their pluses and minuses, and both have a place on my HD. Personally, I think folks canceling out X-Plane without spending some actual time with it (other than the demo) are really missing out.

At Best Buy, it's currently only $29.99. Not too bad, IMO.